125 Gal Sw Setup

Cumminz

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2007
utah
Ok I, without realizing it, took over IDunnoWhy's thread, so here is my new one. all my questions will come right into here from now

Cumminz

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2007
utah
Sounds Great, I will get pictures on here in a few days hopefully because I got my digi camera from my sister and she still has the transfer cord, lol. but the only pictures I have are of my sumo and my dirty tank with nothing in it yet.

Cumminz

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2007
utah
Do I really need a RO-RO/DI? Also which one of these skimmers is better? Coralife Super Skimmer Venturi Wheel - up to 220 Gallon, Aqua Medic Turboflotor T1000 Protein Skimmer ? or I am open to suggestions for others, also what is better powerhead, Seio 2600 or hydor koralia #4? Thanks

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you plan to keep corals, RO/DI is really important. It will take away guesswork that your tapwater contains contaminants.

I have the Coralife SS 220, and it has worked fine for me. I like the Koralia powerheads, I think they're good value for money.

A refugium with macroalgae is a really good idea. It adds pH stability when you run it on a reverse cycle, and helps keep nitrates and phosphates under control (which should lead to less bad algae in the tank). If you add a sump/refugium, you can also put your equipment in it (skimmer, heater, reactors, etc.). It will generally make for a healthier tank. A refugium is also good for growing pods, which will help feed the fish. There's a lot of info on sumps here: Melevsreef.com - What is a Sump?

you dont NEED an RO/DI unit. you can purchase RO water, or just use tap. RO is normally a better descision though. idk about the skimmers, but i really like the koralias. ive never had any experience with the other. a refugium isnt needed. you usually put in extra live rock, macro algae and the like.

lotus ninja'd me, sorry for the repeats.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
more cost effective but IMO when starting up a new tank it isnt nearly as important as some other things such as protien skimmer, good flow (i like the koralias) , a good amount of live rock, lighting (if you plan to keep corals) ...put it this way im going on 3 years and i still dont have a r/o unit... not that i dont want one just like i said there always seems to be something more important for my tank
btw i have four 5gal containers (like the ones for gas) and i fill 1 up a week with r/o from the machine in front of the grocery store and 1-2 times per month i get them all filled at a lfs with saltwater for water changes...its kind of a pain and all the $$ ive spent i could have had an r/o unit myself by now but what can i say it does the job :p

Cumminz

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2007
utah
What about the deonizer, i that that the water at the stores was ok, but Ihtought it needed to be de-onized too? and to answer lotus, I have a sump, but there is no room for a fuge, my sump is maybe 10-15 gallons. what would I do for a fuge? Also I cant decide on a protein skimmer for about 200 bucks, any suggestions

Last edited:

Cumminz

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2007
utah
Shopping list Minus Protein skimmer, what do you think?

CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand 40 lb (2)$26.99
URI 60 Inch VHO AquaSun Bulb (140 Watts) (2) $29.00
Fish Cue TI-Heater/ IC Titanum Heater 250W (2)$29.99
Dolphin Five Star Air Pump 4-outlet, L/H Switch $27.95
Kent Marine Sea Salt 50 Gallon Mix (Case of 3) $39.99
Seio M2600 Super Flow Pump (2) $74.99 or #4
Pisces Pro Acclimator $6.99
Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer $49.99
Millennium 2000 Hang-On-Back Filter $22.69 for qt

I already have return pump, ballast and 2 light connectors, and that is it, lol

Cumminz

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2007
utah
Well since I already have the ballasts and stuff I am going to be holding off on the corals until I know a little of what I am getting into. Is there anything else you would reccemond me getting and helping me decide on a skimmer?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay a couple of comments.....

1. Not sure what you are needing the air pump for as you won't be needing it in a saltwater set up. Bubbles create salt creep and the actual oxygen exchange happens at the surface with your powerheads creating some agitation of the surface.

2. To repeat Camaro you don't need an acclimator. Just use a length of airhose with a knot tied in it to create a drip via siphon into a bucket. Cheap acclimator....

3. If your intent is to run with a deep sand bed you will need much more sand. You will need to create approx 5-6 inchs deep using the Caribsea reef sand. Here is a good reference on dsbs DeepSandBeds

4. What are you using the hob filter for? if for quarantine you are defeating the purpose by running it through the main tank....for a quarantine pick up a cheap 10g......

5. You will need more salt as you will be doing a pile of water changes in the beginning. You will also need dedicated stuff such as buckets, measuring cups, turkey basters, tubing etc..... You will also need something to mix saltwater in as after the inital mix you will need something that will hold about 25g to mix it in. Water should be made up about 24hours ahead of time and be areated with a powerhead to fully oxygenate it.

Cumminz

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2007
utah
1. I didn't know I didn't need air for the saltwater, that is noce to know.
2. I was using the filter for my qt, I thought you needed a filter for that, and I already have a 10 or 15 gal tank i got at a yard sale for 5 bucks, And what do you mean by it defeats the purpose for running it through my main tank?