Stocking options

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well now that I have my 10g planted tank cycling and getting ready for me to start putting fish in the tank I want to figure out exactly what I'm going to put in my tank.

I have been looking at some apistogramma cacatuoides on aquabid. Here are the two that I have been looking at
AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website
AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

Along with the male and female cockatoos I would also like to keep 4 or 5 neon tetras. I would also either have a couple of corys or a couple of ghost shrimp as well. I plan on making this tank pretty heavily planted. I would probably get the cockatoos last, once my tank is well established and densely planted.

Does this stocking plan sound good for a 10 gallon planted tank?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I think that you could get away with a pair of Apistos, 5 Neons but Im not sure the Cories or Shrimp would be a good idea. In that small of a tank the Apistos are going to take charge of the bottom territory and your Neons will be at the middle to top. When breeding Apistos can be a bit nasty so....Id hold off on anything else. As far as which one to go with Id go with the Triple Red, one of my favorites :p

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I like the triple red a lot myself. I have another 10 gallon tank that I could setup for the apistos fry as well if I decided to try and raise them. I thought it would be pushing it with the cories or shrimp but I thought I might want to have something to clean up the little bits of food that make it down to the bottom into the plants. I think it might be hard to get in to those areas with a gravel vac.
I was initially going to put the 5 tetras and a dwarf gourami in there but the more that I look into the apistos the more I think that I would rather put in a pair of them for my "showcase" fish in this tank.

What do you think about something to clean up the bits of food that fall down into the plants and into the bottom of the tank or will I probably not have much of a problem with that?

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I will be doing about a 25% weekly water change, but if this is the stocking route that I will choose I will try to go without the cleaners and have just the apistos and neons.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have never seen or even heard of the cockatoos. They're gorgeous! I'm guessing they are hard to find?
Well the LFSs that I go to I know don't have them. I will probably check out Petsmart and Petco in Buffalo before I order off of aquabid. If I can get them locally I would love to do it that way.

They really are amazing looking fish and can be very colorful. I'm looking for some fish that will add some color to my tank and kinda stand out from the plants, and hopefully some with some personality too.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
You are probably not going to find Triple Reds in Petco or Petsmart. Your best bet would be to try a mom and pop store, but even then you may not find them. Ordering off aquabid will give you a chance to get a nice quality fish and lots of times you wont see alot of the fish that are sold on there in Petstores.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I kinda figured I wouldn't be able to find them there but I want to look just to make sure before I go spending $50 or so on 2 fish. I will probably end up getting them on aquabid though.

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
$50 is alot of money for 2 fish. U gotta be hardcore and in love to spend that. I could just see mine dying within a couple days. Money down the drain. They are pretty though. If I ever see them at my LFS I'll def be bringing 1 home.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I agree it is quite a bit for 2 fish, but it will also give me some nice color to the tank and some fish that not so many people have. From what I have read online they breed pretty easily too so I can always try to raise some fry in case something happens to one of those 2 down the road. I really do like the fish a lot and I think they will be worth the money, but if I can get away with getting them cheaper I will do that haha

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
If I remember you right fishgeek your the one that actually got me looking at the apistos in the first place. Thank you for talking me into spending more money LMAO :D :D
Actually I kinda looked at them a little bit before but I thought they were aggressive and wouldn't work in my tank. I really do like the oddball fish and I want to have a nice tank and to have at least a few fish that most people don't know of.

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
I hope my comment didn't come across sounding snotty. I'm not knocking anyone for spending alot of money on their fish. (I've spent waaay too much on decorations already.) It's just I'm still so new at this that I, personally, am not ready to spend that much money on my fish. Yet ;)