Help! Tank for 5 yr old

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Lisa it takes a bit to get going but you know what, I made it sort of a science project for my daughter. When we did her frog tank recently I bought test strips and let her test the water herself to see if it was ready and stuff. It turned out being both very educational and very fun for her. :)

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
ok, please don't think I'm dumb but what other fish are there besides tropical?
Hey now, no one here will ever think you are dumb, just so you know :). As per your question yes there certainly is.

There are marine fish (...do not even think of going here :p),

and there are native species, like sunfish that you find in ponds around you, but I wouldn't suggest these for 10G- maybe a 20 though. This is the cheapest route I think as you don't *need* a heater (but it is recommended) and you don't have to pay for any fish- you catch it yourself! IMO they can be just as beautiful as a tropical as well.

Anyways there are also goldfish, but as stated earlier they need a lot of room per fish and are very messy, an thus hard to take care of properly.

That leaves tropicals. These fish cover a very broad spectrum from Amazonian fish, to Asian fish, to African cichlids, to a few Australian fish. The most common I have informally observed are the Amazonian fish, as these are generally very colourful and small and easy for beginners. This group includes many small tetras and bottom feeders that will form a school and swim in one big group and are easy to take care of. I personally have guppies (male and females... man am I ever overrun with babies :S) and neon tetras. I love the tetras and how the swim around together in a little group.

If I could throw my advice into this maelstrom I would say to go for a 20G tank (this is what I have and started with and I am glad I didn't go any other route) with a couple cory catfish (small comical bottom feeders that love small groups of their own kind, playing tag with each other) and maybe 5-7 of two types of tetra, like cardinals, black skirts, neons, or the same number of rasboras like the harlequin rasbora. That would give you ten fish of two types/colours that will school with their own kind, with some comical bottom feeders. This is just my advice. My more specific choice would be 3-5 small cories (sorry, I don't know how big each type gets as I tend to get shrimp for my bottom feeders), 7 cardinal tetras(very colourful and relatively hardy fish) and 5 black skirts (interesting shape and get fairly good sized for a tetra). Someone will come on and say its a bad idea I am sure but this is my opinion :). But as I am sure you know, make sure your son picks the stuff out, including the fish. I would suggest my list as a guideline, but if your son doesn't like them then go for what he likes, making sure the choices are good and sensible.

One pumpkinseed sunfish would be great in a 20G tank- they are absolutely beautiful IMO and they cost nothing and are VERY hardy fish. However, it is winter so please don't go try to catch one, and they could prove to be very elusive for you to catch. Also with only one fish in the tank your son may get slightly bored. My above tropical choices are keeping your son in mind, as well as you.

Last edited:

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I'm going to agree with ishar here. I think a tank ranging from 20-29 gallons would be a great start. They really don't take up that much room, and they give you a little leeway if you start to have problems with your water. They also open up how many fish you can get. This is how I would stock a 29 beginner tank.

Stock:
5 Cory Cats
5 Neon Tetras (Or cardinals)
5 Black Skirt Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami (Neon Blue or Flame)

This will give you the corys playing on the bottom, 2 schools of tetras playing all over the place. Then the gourami will be your "Centerpiece" fish, which at this point...I'm sure your not worried about. Although I'm sure once this tank gets going, and you start to get into it...even if your son takes really good care of it..you will want to take the tank over anyway.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Black Skirts are indestructable fish. If you go that route I would suggest they be the first set of fish you put in the tank.

The cories are adorable and if you don't like the neons there's a lot of comparably sized tetras as well that are intresting to look at like the ones that have the red spot behind their eye that seems to glow and the ones that are almost translucent. I've never kept a Gourami yet but I'm told it's fairly similiar to Betta keeping which is remarkably easy.

If you go with a 10G or a 20G you can probably get a kit which will come with most of what you need to start out as well. A 10G fits perfectly on a kitchen countertop BTW if you don't have space else where.

Be careful with the cartoon fish bowls. My 4 year old keeps wanting to get a Dora tank and (aside from the tiny size) all I can think of is Dora covered in algae and her colors fading.

She already has a fish tank though. We were at a party where there were goldfish center pieces... We sat down and I looked at my wife and said "you know we're going to end up taking one of these home?"

So now I have 3 goldfish in a 29 Gal tank.

You should be aware that a larger tank does not necessarily mean more maintenance. If you have a good balance of plants, the right clean-up crew, and keep it out of direct sun-light then for the most part all you need to do is change the water and clean the filter once a week.
My daughters tank requires about 30 minutes of maintenance once a week.

Good luck, and welcome to a horribly addictive hobby.

Oh... also make sure that you have furniture that will handle the weight of a tank. Water is heavy. You also want to make sure that you can service the tank where ever you put it. That means being able to get inside the tank. You don't want to have to move a 40 pound tank from one place to another just to change the water (40 lbs is a small tank). Or you may... That's up to you.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
A full 29 gallon tank is about 240lbs of water alone. Plus the tank, and the decorations. I'd try to find something that can hold about 400lbs to be safe. However, most furniture will hole more weight than you think. There are also cheap but good stands out there, if you want to go that route.

I also suggest using a python if you are going to use a tank 20g or larger.

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
Python is a definite must for anything over 10G.

Ok, I read everyone's response. I have a 5 yr old who shows very little interest in the tanks we already have. I don't want to put one in her room cuz I can just see the disaster all over it. Dumping the whole can of food in the tank. That kind of thing. So I won't put one in her room but IF she asked for it (and was persistant) I would go with a 5G with a betta or a couple colorful MALE guppies.
As others have already said, this is a VERY addicting hobby. (I'm already considering a 210G and I just started this past December.) I suggest going with something larger if you have the space and put it a living room or such. That way everyone can enjoy and you can keep a better eye on it. Buy the biggest tank you have room for. More fun that way.
Let us know what you decide and welcome to MFT!

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Yup, I'm just going to say how horridly addictive and wonderfully fun this hobby is! See my sig? I started maybe a year ago, with that little 5g! NOW! I'm getting ready to set up my 4th tank!!! Ok, so maybe I have a bit of an addictive personality, but what ever!!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I agree it's addictive but I don't know that everyone needs big tanks (though they certianly are easier to maintain ironically).

I'm a nanoist though I think :) In the spring my daughter and I are planning to do either a 20G fully planted tank (Cries, she wants mollies or guppies and all I can imagine is babies EVERYWHERE!) or we're going to go with smaller cichlids (more babies! Gah!).

I really try and make the fish keeping into a big on going science project though which has taught her a lot about biology, chemistry and general science from a young age.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I agree with everyone else, get as big of a tank as your space/budget will allow. Last year I sold my 26 gallon bowfront tank to my friend for her 6 year old and 2 year old, and they absolutely love it! Their favorite fish, by far, are the colorful male guppies. And they thought that it was the coolest thing in the world when they found a baby guppy in the tank. So I would definitely suggest guppies. For bottom feeders, cory cats and zebra loaches are really entertaining.

If you can find one, a Mini-Bow 7 gallon is the best small tank available. It is glass, so you won't get scratches in it like you would acrylic tanks. It also has a pretty good stock light, which will allow you to grow a good variety of plants if you ever want to go that route. It comes with a pretty good filter too, so all you would need to purchase would be a small heater. I don't think All-Glass makes the 7 gallons anymore, but I have seen them listed brand new on both Ebay and Amazon. The smaller Mini-Bows (2.5 & 5) come with an undergravel filter and you definitely don't want that.

I just posted new pics of my Mini-Bow 7 in the Rate My Tank section, if you want to see what they look like.

Basically, get as big of a tank as your space/budget will allow, then we can help you decide the stocking for it :)

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I think instead we're just going to have a chat about the whole 'livebirth' fish thing she's rather fixated on. I'd rather the frogs breed then then fish...

Oh Aimee that's another 'wet pet' that actually might be a really good choice for you. Little aquatic african dwarf frogs. You still need to cycle and maintain the tank but I have a pair in a 2 gallon and it's perfect for a new fish keeper. Just make sure you keep it well covered, they can hop.

Some must haves:

20g tank
I would go gravel not sand (some other opinions might be useful)
Live plants are prettier than fake plants and fish like them
Cleaning tube for gravel (I clean my tank every two weeks about 25% water out)
Some kind of castle thing (if you get cories they like shade)
And whatever fish you want (that get along)

Do not get IMO:

Chinese algae eaters (they are agressive towards my swordtails and tetras and do not actually eat algae)
Umm. That's all I can say.

Anyone want to add???

(The heater thing...I have tropical fish and don't have a heater. I live in Phoenix, AZ so I figured I didn't need it. My temp. fluctuates between 68 - 80 F. Maybe not so good but my fish are ok without it.)

Feb 12, 2008
Thank you everyone so much.

I'm going to stop buy a few stores after work and see about different size tanks. Then come home and read some of the links here. I was thinking of getting my son a book of fish to see what he would like, but my luck he would want something we couldn't do. Ha.

This will be my first attempt with "pets" I can't even keep house plants alive! Oh these poor fish.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I kill plants too! But some how my aquatic plants are happy and healthy. :)

If you're in a cooler climate you'll need a heater. Even if the pet store people say you don't. Most tropical fish prefer to be kept at 72 to 82 F.