Needlefish

Bl33dy

Medium Fish
Jun 22, 2008
Vidor, Texas
hi yall, i just have some general questions about needlefish. im considering gettin some, when my other fish get to big for them to be eaten;)
has anyone here eve kept them? i know they get a little bit big, so i'll need a decent sized tank.
how agressive are they? my fish are pretty peaceful, so im not worried about the needlefish gettin picked on, but visa versa.

anyway, i'd really just like to hear about any advice or experiences yall might have:)

thanks yall

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
i think the biggest i have seen is 9" and he ate roseys. they tend to just hang out at the top and im ure they wouldnt need that big of a tank cause their not that active, but may want a second opinion

they are not aggressive to the point where they go after fish and terrorize them but they do eat smaller fish

what tank were yo thinkin about puttin him in

anabanman

Small Fish
Jun 21, 2008
cool

I watched a chick at petsmart through a few small feeder fish in a tank. The needles went nuts like pirahna . It was sweet you could see the fish outline in their stomach still wiglin.

Bl33dy

Medium Fish
Jun 22, 2008
Vidor, Texas
im thinkin about puttin them in a 29 gallon if i decide to get them. what the minimum tanksize for them, in your opinion?

and i dont think theyre needlenose gar, ive seen quite a few gar whilst fishing and stuff, and i think these are a different species. they do resemble gar though, so they may be.

thanks for all the help guys, and any additional imput is appreciated:)

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Had one in a twenty with a catfish of some type. He jumped out, so I'd say keep a tight lid on them. Also, they will eat anything and everything. When we caught him (yeah I know, bad... But they're considered pests where we caught him so he'd just be killed anyhow... Painfuly.) we decided to leave him in my little 10 with cardinal tetra... o_o; He ate all but one, which hid in the castle and was paranoid for the rest of it's life. (It lived longer than the gar amazingly.)

Then we put him in with the catfish (I can't remember what kind it was) and they kinna got along... The damn gar could go from one side to the other in under 1 second. He was small too...

Then the catfish caused him to jump and he dried up on the floor (it happened at night. He jumped out where the HOB hung on)

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
But they are still named as such. Gar = Spear in old English, and they fit that description. I think the size of the tank is determined by their size and swimming ability rather then bioload. If you don't throw tons of feeders in there constantly the bioload won't be high. Feed them when needed, they will eat it all guaranteed.

~ocean

New Fish
May 12, 2009
Re:help

Hello,
usually needlefish grow to 8 inches and are deadly carnivores. Their nose are VERY sensitive so a big tank is required (or else they'll smash into the side of your tank).

They can and will devour anything that will and they think will probably fit in their mouths. Therefore, they are voracious predators. They usually dominate tanks and will bear very large and sharp teeth.

Hope this helps!