Maybe bluegill!!!!!!!!!!

william

Small Fish
Sep 8, 2008
I was wondering how good about 2 2-3inch bluegill would do in a 20 gallon fish tank.
Are they cool to have and what do they eat??

Jun 21, 2008
You could check out posts by Sombunya. He has bluegill in a couple different sized tanks and loves them. Reading his posts should help you figure out what size tank they need, filtration, food, etc.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Hello,

I just upgraded to a 100 gallon. I was going to mothball the 40 but as I could not mount the filters the way I wanted, I just kept the 40 going. You can see what I have in my sig.

I brought home a small 2 incher about 3 or 4 weeks ago. He's now a 3 incher. A guy once told me tank length is the most important criteria. My 100 is 60" long x 16" wide x 24" tall. I'd rather have it 84" long x 12" wide by 18" tall. Still, it's massive and nice.

My opinion is; 20 gallon is okay (not great) for two small ones if you have super filtration and lots of plants and things to break up the space because they are highly territorial. However, you will want a bigger tank so maybe you should just do it that way the first time. In an earlier post I noted how one fish had half of my 48" long 40 gallon tank. The other five were at the other end, all the time. I upgraded to the 100 gallon tank not for water quality reasons but because these guys were so rowdy. After I took the super-aggressive one out and put it in a 20 but itself, two others started fighting. These suckers would choose each other off! They all staked out certain areas of the tank. The only time they did not chase each other was feeding time.

Because of their rowdy nature, they are fun to have. When they get used to you they are not afraid. They eat out of your hands. They stare at you and wait to be fed.

My experience with them is; they are picky eaters, although I have never starved them into eating anything. They all like worms, live and frozen. And Crickets, big time! None of them like frozen Brine Shrimp, or any dried foods. Some will eat cheese, others won't. Some eat certain vegetables, others don't.

I don't have any experience with any aquarium fish except Bluegill. But I have to say they are a lot of fun. I'd say get as big a tank as your budget allows and lots of filtration (I have an Aquaclear 70 on my 20 gallon, an AC 110 on the 40 and 2 AC 110's on the 100). Also, stay away from the tall tanks and get a long one. Harder than a tall one to place in the home but better for these types of fish, I think.

All this is only my opinion. And check out the NANFA website as it deals with native fish and has an entire forum dedicated to Sunfish.

Last edited: