Is this ich??

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
Greetings All- I purchased a Klein Butterfly and a Coral Beauty Angel. I have them in my introduction quarantine tank. I noticed some white spots on the butterfly tonight...does this look ich??? No spots on the angel.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I am not familiar with that species of butterfly, does it seem to be scratching? I would watch it carefully for a day or so, probably wouldn't hurt to gradually lower the salinity and treat with hypo

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
To me it looks like ich. I too do not know that particular species so I don't know if that's how it's supposed to look. The cysts only stay on the fish for week or so... if you see them missing after this then you'll know it's ich. I don't know if i'd wait though... I think i see a few spots around the eye and mouth.

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
Hi Lorna- Thanks for your fast response. The only thing inside that tank is a little piece of LR, and a plastic smooth cup. The fish was fine when i purchased it yesterday but i admit that i did not have the light on at all last night. both fish are eating very well with great appetites for mysis, bloodwires and pellet!

i will lower the SG a little tonight and assume it is ich (taking to hyposalinity in the next few days).