CrystalClear 180 Build

Dec 7, 2008
I've been hard at work the last couple of weeks planning and building my stand for my 180. This will be my first saltwater so the planning is just as hard as the actual build.

I will post pictures along the way and maybe it will help someone else getting started. I'm sure their will be some mistakes!

Anyways here is where I am now. I have the frame built for my stand. This stand is being made to accomodate a larger aquarium for the future if I decide to use it.

The stand should be sweet when I get done with it. I have a piece of
1 1/4" granite being cut and drilled for the top. It will be skinned in hickory plywood with hickory doors. I havn't decided on trim, base board, or stain yet. The granite should look awesome as long as I can get it home and into my house without breaking it. It's about 420 lbs lol alone.

I should have some pictures of the frame painted tonight, that's what I'm doing today. I didn't use treated lumber to prevent twisting so I am painting it with Weatherseal to help waterproof it.

Any suggestions welcome along the way. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

Attachments

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Looking very good. I've thought about the whole granite or marble top but desided trim would be good enough. If it's the whole top, most of that REALLY expensive material will be under a tank where you can't see it anyway ;).

My only suggestion for the stand would be to place uprights screwed to the 4x4's in between the 2x6 upper and lower frame. Right now the majority of the weight distribution is transfered through the screws. Straight lines are stronger. Now, I'm not saying it's 100% needed, I'm just paranoid like that ;). Having the extra center uprights *may* negate the need for them but if it's done like I'm suggesting you would probably have only needed one center upright.

Can't wait to see it all together!

Chris

War Eagle

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2008
Cumming, Georgia
I was thinking the same thing ChrisA. Crystal, from the looks of the cabinet so far you obviously know what you are doing but here's an opinion based on the pics. Depending on how you are going to "face" the cabinet you can still add some extra support. If your hickory ply is going to be attached to the face of the 2x6's then I would attach a 2x4 to the 4x4 between the 2x6's. That would give you all the support you will ever need. If the ply is going to be attached to the 4x4's I would be sure to use 3/4 ply and that too would provide enough support for anything you may sit on top.

Dec 7, 2008
Good advice guys, I plan to put a couple of 2x4 in between the 2x6's so that I will have a place to hinge my doors. This stand could hold a house *BOUNCINGS

Exciting news, today I picked up my granite for the top and my hickory for the skin. This granite was ridiculously heavy. Way way heavier than it looks. It made the guy sick to drill those monster holes in it for my sump, but as long as I'm happy.*thumbsups

I'm not making the doors, so I have to wait another week for those. I forgot to snap a picture of it with the waterproof stain , but I will do so soon.

Attachments

Dec 7, 2008
That aquarium looks very nice S.Reef. The canopy looks perfect. It looks like they used some sort of marble top on that.

You may consider just having the marble/granite put around the outside since you can't see most of it. Depends on the size of the tank and whether or not you can find hard surface counters for a decent price. Since I may use a larger aquarium with this stand I just decided to use a solid piece.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
This stand could hold a house *BOUNCINGS
LOL, it definitely looks that way ;). Good stuff!

Yeah Granite isn't light (even if it is something like a third or quarter the weight of steel), how'd you get it in? 3 or 4 people? ;) I've got a chunk of Pink Granite 28"x16"x4.375" that I've moved by myself a few times... Not fun.

This is going to look awesome! Congrats!
Chris

Dec 7, 2008
LOL, it definitely looks that way ;). Good stuff!

Yeah Granite isn't light (even if it is something like a third or quarter the weight of steel), how'd you get it in? 3 or 4 people? ;) I've got a chunk of Pink Granite 28"x16"x4.375" that I've moved by myself a few times... Not fun.

This is going to look awesome! Congrats!
Chris
We loaded it with 4 people. but when I got home there was only 3 of us and it was tough. We didn't have to go very far though. It's hard to even take a break moving it because you'll smash your finger under it. That piece is exactly 99" x 27 1/4"x 1 1/4" FYI.