Salinity spike??

Nov 24, 2008
Hello all, i have a newly set up tank 65G, with LR and ATS. the tank is about 3 months old so fairly new. I live in a warm climate so i have to top up like 1/4 Gal of RO water every day. over the past week i noticed that the salinity has been creeping up more thank usual. Yesterday i got up and test the tank and my salinity was 1.030!!!..i know that evaporation raises salinity but i couldnt understand why it spiked from the usual 1.024 to 1.030. i got it back down to 1.026 but it keeps rising....does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening??

Nov 24, 2008
Im using an Instant Ocean Hydrometer....i keep my tank on an average at about 79, im going to lower it to 77 and test and see if there is a difference....but this is really the strangest thing, cant figure out why this is happening. i even bought a brand new on at the LFS because i thought mine was defective

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
My experience with the swing-arm hydrometers is that they all read differently. Mine read about 0.003 lower than my refractometer does. So, if the new reading is from the new hydrometer, see if you can have the LFS test with a refractometer to see how far off your hydrometer is.

Nov 24, 2008
ok will do, but just in case that the hydrometer is working properly, i was wondering if there is anything at all that would case this salinity spike...even if i have high evaporation...
regards

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Not unless you added saltwater instead of freshwater, or your water level has dropped significantly. If you bought the "RO" water at a LFS, it's possible they put saltwater instead of RO, I suppose.
Sad, but true. Saltwater cannot increase in SG / Salinity without adding salt.
Never top up the water without measuring SG / Salinity
Don't use a hydrometer
If you have salt creep somewhere, don't wipe it into the tank. This will up the SG / Salinity as well.

Nov 24, 2008
hmmm....interesting. well right now i dont have access to a refractrometer...i live in Trinidad. i did have an idea though, i could bring a sample of water from the ocean and test it...maybe it might give me an idea as to whether or not the hydrometers are faulty.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
just another though but don't know if it would have a effect since i don't have a salt tank yet, but, do you have a water softener and use water out of tap. i'm thinking maybe the brine water that comes through might be adding some salt to tank. just a thought. does anyone know, so i and others have future reference that this will or will not affect salt tank.