I Want a Wavemaker

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
ive been reading up on wavemakers and thought my tank could benefit from having one. some one told me i should just buy a vortech mp20 but i dont have that kind of money right now.
so i was wondering what would be an ideal wavemaker for my 40g sps tank. or should i just forget about it and save for a vortech?

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hydor doesn't recommend running Korillias Nano through 4 on a wavemaker. They simply weren't made to be switched off and on regularly and it significantly reduces the life of the pump. That's why they released the controllable 12volt line.

Same thing with the modded maxi-jets. They aren't ment to handle the off and on load with the prop impeller and the motor burns out.

Lots of people have tried both of these on wavemakers (even though it's not recommended by the manufacturers with good reason) and the consensus has been it doesn't work long term, burns out the pumps and the price can quickly add up. Once you've replaced a few pumps the price is getting close to one of the higher end systems anyway.

Regular maxi's are about the best bet if you're on a budget. The Korillia Magnums will work too, but the flow *may* be more than you're looking for.

Higher priced options are the Tunze's and Vortec's but they need to run off their brands wavemaker.

On a "small" side note, that "clacking" that is heard sometimes when a prop pump is starting up is the moter trying to turn the impeller backwards. It's an electrical thing, AC power is Alternating Current so think of it like the tide. It flows back and forth 60 times every second (in north amarica anyway) so not every time will the motor "catch" on the right direction of the current. So pumps that need to spin in one direction have a "brake" to stop it from doing so and allow's the impeller to catch on the correct direction. Pumps like Maxi-Jets (un-modded anyway) can pump in either direction which is why they can handle being turned off and on. I'm not 100% on this but I think any pump that does not have an outlet on a tangent to the volute can run both ways... That doesn't mean the motor is capable of handling constant switching though. If in doubt, ask the manufacturer ;).

Chris

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Yeah I know when it does clack you can see the propeller is spinning backwards. Mine rarely do it. But they're cheap so I'm taking the risk 7 months so far which means I probably just jinxed myself and they'll burn out later today :)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have been running unmodded maxijets on the pulse controller for 2 years without incident......and 2 modded maxijets on a pulse for about 18mos.....did I just jinx myself....though maxijets are much more inexpensive than the hydors are when they burn out.....

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
though maxijets are much more inexpensive than the hydors are when they burn out.....
LOL, exactly why I'm still going to run the modded maxi's when I get my RKE ;). I know I shouldn't and I *will eventually* burn them out... but I still want to use them lol.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying no one should ever do it... Just be aware and make an educated decision, that's all :).

Chris

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
thanks for all your help. im still debating whether i should save up for a vortec or go w/ some modified MJ. i am currently switching my tank into a bare bottom so i know i will need the extra flow.
whats the GPH on a modified MJ1200?