Pink Tipped Sea Anenome?

Fishfreak

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2004
NC
Visit site
At my local fish stie they have some Pink Tipped Sea Anenome. Will clownfish go in them? Are they easy to keep? What kinds are easy to keep but are clownfish compatible?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I need more then that...look online for a scientific name. I think it may be a Sebae Anemone.

No anemone is easy to keep...and yes clowns go into them.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
if your doin FOWLR then you wont be able to keep an anemone, they need impecable water quality and powerful lighting, i would pass on this particular anemone, since I doubt your tank is stable enough, they should only be added to mature systems

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
the watts per gallon isnt really a good estimate, and you could keep a few low light softies, but no not most anemones, there are a few that dont have high light requirements, but generally they are from the caribbean and they are not clownfish hosts, if your going to do FOWLR then just do that, wait to do corals till you have some SW experience and if you are still interested in the hobby change your FOWLR to a reef,

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
alot, water quality, knowledge, patience, alot more money, nice lighting(big $$), and knowing what things in your system are compatible otherwise your just throwing your money away, FOWLR has alot more room for error

im_netta

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2005
I have three anemones in my 29 gal. and two of them have long tenticles (sort of looks like Medusa) that are light pink and the tips of them are hot pink. I was told that they are called Purple Atlantics. I have two clowns that were bought separate from the anemones and they told me that's why they don't go in them, but I do have a little white crab that lives in one of my purple atlantics. Really funny to watch...they're like a married couple.LOL
ANYWAY, I don't know anything about anemones except what i've discovered on my own just from owning one so if NE1 can pass some info my way about maybe their behavior or something, that would be cool

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea, your LFS is full of **** the clowns dont go in it because it is a caribbean species, and clowns dont live there or go in those species, however you anemone crab can and will, you can see pics of mine in the "new digital camera" thread, hes fun

im_netta

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2005
THANKS! I hate people who just bull**** me cause they know I'm a rookie. Hey aresgod, I have an anemone and it looks like a little cluster of palm trees. They are all like a light indian red clay color. NEways, my purple atlantic has taken a liking to it. It has even crawled on top of it at times and it seems to slowly but surely be going in an immediate circle around it; always touching it. Is this normal? Also the "palm trees" are rubberbanded to a small rock (that's how I bought it from my LFS) Should I let it go or does it matter. MLFS had some anemones rubberbanded and some were even pinned to rocks with needles. Does this hurt the anemone?

KLR

New Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Wiliamston
Scientific name is Condylactus gigantea
I have a condy and if you have bright light and feed them a chunk of meat(Krill) 3 times a week they grow big. They are fairly easy to keep but everything i've read and realized with mine is, no they aren't host to clownfish, but every clown is different and some may host in them. Clarki, cinnamon, and tomatoe clowns are the only clowns with the best chance of hosting in one. The reason is condy anemones live in the Atlantic and clownfish live in the pacific, so they aren't used to condys.*thumbsups

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Most condy anemones are fish eaters and will eventually possibly consume any clown that is unfortunate to pick it as a host. Condy + clown = disaster waiting to happen

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Most condy anemones are fish eaters and will eventually possibly consume any clown that is unfortunate to pick it as a host. Condy + clown = disaster waiting to happen
I totally agree. I have a Condy and a smart clown. He stays miles away from it. The other one wasn't that lucky though. He turned into Condy food. I feed my Condy krill 3 times a week.