Need an ID

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
I don't have a pic right now but ill work on it if its needed.. Anyways these things are little brown tubes with a feather like end.. Im pretty sure it retracts itself and they grow in clusters.. Ever since I started using DT's they have come out all over the place! It's not hydriods is it? Ive looked for pics on the net but really cant find anything that looks like what's in my tank.. If in fact it is hydroids how do I get rid of em?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Yea the only problem is they are all over the tank on most of the rocks.. I was reading some stuff and people said to burn them off with lighters.. hmm i dunno lol

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
ARe you guys saying it's bad to have hydriods in your tank? I have a few that look like little red featherdusters.

Last edited:

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
ARe you guys saying it's bad to have hydriods in your tank? I have a few that look like little red featherdusters.
They are bad if you touch them or they touch anything else. They are related to jellyfish and will sting you and corals. I was stung by mine. Nothing major but it did burn for a couple hours. Another nuisance that will spread in your tank.

"Most hydroid stings almost immediately produce small red bumps that remain itchy and painful for hours. Sometime victims feel a prickly sensation. This rash can last up to 10 days. Skin with hair on it usually has less reaction than bare skin. More-severe sting reactions are blisters, swelling and hives.

No cure exists. Rinse the sting with water, (salt or fresh), to wash away any adhering nematocysts, then apply ice for pain. For persistent itching or skin rash, try 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment four times a day, and one or two 25 milligram diphenhydramine (Benadryl) tablets every six hours. Diphenhydramine may cause drowsiness so don't drive, swim or surf after taking this medication. Both these drugs are sold without prescription.

If the rash worsens, allergic symptoms occur, or a feeling of generalized illness develops, see a doctor immediately. "