Need Chocolate Chip Star advice

Jan 9, 2009
Owensboro, KY
I bought 140 lbs of live rock last night and there were a few hermits snails and a chocolate chip star included with all of it so I added him to the tank and hes already been eating my zoas and now hes driving my tang nuts because hes latched on to the veggie clip with his stomach out engulfing the seaweed. My question is would it be ok to throw him in the fuge or would he be detrimental to it and wipe out all of my chaeto and everything else in there? Thanks in advance

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Best thing you can do with a CC is to get him back to the LFS. They are mean creatures, destroying everything as they go. I thought they were cute, until he/she started eating my corals and other star fish.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I learned my lesson about CC stars oh about 15 years ago when I bought one and it promptly started eating any coral it could get to. The CCs are the worst they eat everything.

The ones that don't harm reefs don't do well in the home aquarium. Just had a red fromia after 3 weeks of looking good and eating just disintegrate on me.

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
The ones that don't harm reefs don't do well in the home aquarium. Just had a red fromia after 3 weeks of looking good and eating just disintegrate on me.
That's really sad to hear. I have had my Marble Sea Star, or Marble Starfish for more then a year now, and doing well. In the beginning, he/she (?) would start (looked like) rot on the tips of the star. I read up on it, and was informed to cut the (rot) with a sharp scissor. I did that, and ever since the, he/she is a (hopefully happy little star. Quite happily moving all around my tank.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Well I have a CC in one of my Mantis tanks... He doesn't go after any of the unID'd algae in there... So your's may be ok with the Chaeto. I'd probably test it out in a small container first. If he does eat it or you have things you want to keep alive in your Fuge, I'd agree with the advice to take him back. LOL, too bad really. If you where in Canada I'd offer to give him a home.

Chris

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
That's really sad to hear. I have had my Marble Sea Star, or Marble Starfish for more then a year now, and doing well. In the beginning, he/she (?) would start (looked like) rot on the tips of the star. I read up on it, and was informed to cut the (rot) with a sharp scissor. I did that, and ever since the, he/she is a (hopefully happy little star. Quite happily moving all around my tank.
Yeah I don't get it. Looked completely healthy one day and was stripping the live rock to white then a few days ago it had a sore looking thing on one arm. Later in the day the arm fell off. But the next morning it was shredded in pieces. Will try again though. I know it touched air for a brief second when I was moving it into the tank and I read that can cause it and it takes awhile for the effects to be seen.

vipers

Small Fish
Jul 28, 2008
ive had lmy 7 CC's for about 6 months now.. and just got a HUGE one (7" across! yeah, a big sucker..lol).... and they do fine in my tank... but i have no corals:) not yet anyways..... yeah, cant keep them with other starfish or corals though... then they become terrorists