Maxi-jet Mods on a wavemaker: One of the results...

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
OK so a while back there was a discussion as to using MJ mods on a wavemaker. I've been running one like that for over a month (thought the cost vs water flow benefits were worth the risk) and this is what happened...

As you can see one of the prop blades sheared right off lol! It was kinda funny actually... I found a black piece of plastic in my tank one day and couldn't figure it out. Then a few days later I noticed the pump was making noise not only on start up but running as well. 2+2=busted prop lol.

Anyway, these things just aren't made to be cycled on and off multiple times. No matter how you cut it, it boils down to luck of the draw. Some are going to last and some aren't. For the amount of flow off the mods though, I'll keep replacing them if need be, well worth it IMO ;).

Chris

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
After losing 4 korallias on wave makers (all on a seio wavemaker) and burning out the wavemaker I gave up on them and got modded maxijets which I have been running now for 18 months on a pulse wavemaker. I have one that chatters on start up but that isn't too bad as these are relatively inexpensive and if it was just the prop that broke I would go to the nearest rc airplane hobby shop and buy a new prop for under $1. Even if buying the whole modded jet it is still a relatively cheap piece of equipment. In a perfect world we would all have nice vortechs or tunze streams..........then again, you get what you pay for.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Yeah I was going to look at the RC prop but the LFS had an extra prop from a seized shaft. They ripped it off and attached it right there for me, didn't even have to ask lol.

Like you say Lorna, even at the cost for the whole unit... Whatever! I'll keep doing it! Even if I could afford a Vortech or Tunze, I couldn't control them from the RKE and I like the "all in one" that it provides.

quaddity, I also have a Korallia (2 I think??) on the RKE and so far it's made even less noises than the MJ's. If I ever put it on a REALLY large tank I'd probably use the K Magnums, Hydor endorses them on wavemakers. Apparently they are a completely different style of motor that was made to handle the cycling.

Chris

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Yeah I was going to look at the RC prop but the LFS had an extra prop from a seized shaft. They ripped it off and attached it right there for me, didn't even have to ask lol.

Like you say Lorna, even at the cost for the whole unit... Whatever! I'll keep doing it! Even if I could afford a Vortech or Tunze, I couldn't control them from the RKE and I like the "all in one" that it provides.

quaddity, I also have a Korallia (2 I think??) on the RKE and so far it's made even less noises than the MJ's. If I ever put it on a REALLY large tank I'd probably use the K Magnums, Hydor endorses them on wavemakers. Apparently they are a completely different style of motor that was made to handle the cycling.

Chris
Yeah but those Magnums they want you to use their expensive ramping wavemaker I don't think they endorse using them with an on/off wavemaker like mine (Blueline). I have 3 K2s on my wavemaker and only one rarely makes a start up chatter the other two never do. Still you can get two of them for $50 or so off Ebay so if they burn out at some point I'll just buy more. I'd like the Vortechs but man they are way expensive. Even with a group buy discount the new small one was around $180.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The beauty of the vortechs is the battery back up ....... well that and the quality, and the price.....a beautiful price....... Hmmm I never ran the k's on an on off timer just a ramping up and down one.....might need to try it.