need some help

Feb 27, 2009
No, not just 'hope', test your water then do a 50% water change NOW with dechlorinated water. If you tank was not cycled (no mention of doing that) then the fish is likely suffering from ammonia poisoning.

What are your water parameters? Levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? If you don't have a test kit, the LFS should be able to test it for you.

What do you mean by 'not looking so good.'

May 7, 2009
Everything besides ammonia is at normal levels. My ammonia meter is working or something (kinda looks old and the strips look a little worn.)

The beta is just sitting at the bottom of the tank just wobbling around. All the other fish are fine.

May 7, 2009
Well, my betta just passed. :(

My LFS has a 7 day guarantee, so I suppose I will get another and just put it in a little 1 gallon bowl I have until the tank finishes cycling. (Although, I have heard bettas are pretty hardy?)

Since the beginning, I have lost 3 silver mollies and no tetras. The remaining 2 silver mollies and 6 bloodfin tetras are doing awesome from what I can tell. I've started feeding them bloodworms and they seem to be in heaven! >.<

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I am a cichlid fan myself so I would say get a 20+ gallon cycle it and get a few cichlids to toss in there but that may be a lil to much to fast for a beginer lol. but as far as tropicals go I had a small scool of neon tertas in mine, zebra danios, couple dojo loaches, and a few guppies. those are all fish I have found to do real well in a 10 gallon tank. but since ur wanting to do the shrimp thing with just a couple fish I would suggest glass catfish. they are kinda cool and as far as I know pretty easy to care for as long as the water perameters are in good shape.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I have heard bettas are hardy as well but I think it's just a lie lol. I had 4 bettas in 4 days. each one died within a day. not sure what the deal was but every one of them got like a white fuzz on them within an hour of getting home and then die shortly after that so I just said screw it.

May 7, 2009
Heh, I'm gonna do a pretty big water change tomorrow and then go get another betta and see how it works out.

On a side note.. I'm starting to love my tetras! They are pretty fun to watch. Lol
May just keep tetras! Haha

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
a decent school of tetras do look nice. before I got into cichlids I thought with a 55 gallon tank I was going to do a big comunity tank and have a massive 50+ scool of neons. then I discovered the agression and beauty of cichlids.

TropicAZ

Small Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Phoenix AZ
Wait until the cycle is done to add the beta! Why intentionally hurt or kill your fish because you're getting impatient? If your tetras are doing fine, keep up with 25-50% water changes and leave it at that until your tank is fully cycled.

If you didnt get the API test kit yet, take a water sample to your LFS... and I don't mean PetsMart. A good one will test it right for you. You want to do water changes 20% daily or every other day with a light gravel vac until your ammonia and nitrites both read around 0-.25. Then youre good to go.

TropicAZ

Small Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Phoenix AZ
I have heard bettas are hardy as well but I think it's just a lie lol. I had 4 bettas in 4 days. each one died within a day. not sure what the deal was but every one of them got like a white fuzz on them within an hour of getting home and then die shortly after that so I just said screw it.
Just to add for you... that white fuzz was most likely a fungal infection caused by an open wound near that area on the fish. Could have been from another fish, or simple just scraping up against something too hard. API makes a treatment called Pimafix that works really well... its a 7 day treatment and it cleared up my Platy's fungal problem in 3 days.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I agree with TA, can't you just get store credit or something until your tank finishes cycling? And didn't you say the majority of the bettas there looked ill.. doesn't sound to me like a place to trust, the last thing I'd do is add another. Chances are, if the betta had a disease before you bought it, it's been introduced into your tank so keep an eye out for that.

Either that, or your ammonia's actually at high levels and this coupled with the stress of adding the betta to the tank may have been what killed it. I'd definately invest in an API test kit, those strips, as far as I know, really don't work that well at all. Until you can get one though, like TA said, take a sample of water to your LFS and get them to test it.

May 7, 2009
Got another betta today. Didn't put this one in the same tank. Had a 1 gallon bowl I had. The water has sat for 2 days now with conditioner. So far, this fish is doing fine.

Thanks for the help guys! :D

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Unfortunately, sitting water for two days with "conditioner" isn't cycling a tank. If I were you I'd expect an ammonia spike pretty soon, and in such a TINY space as a 1 gallon your betta will suffer.

Not to sound rude but... if you're not listening to what's been said we're not really helping at all. Read up on cycling PLEASE, for the sake of your fish. Missfishy's website is pretty much the simplest explanation out there.

On a separate note I don't agree with living quarters as small as a 1 gallon for any fish. They can't be effectively heated or filtered and when something goes wrong water qualty wise, it happens so fast disaster is pretty much imminent. Not sure how companies get away with manufacturing these fish "prisons" anymore. Just my personal opinion though, not meant as a dig at anyone.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Unfortunately, sitting water for two days with "conditioner" isn't cycling a tank. If I were you I'd expect an ammonia spike pretty soon, and in such a TINY space as a 1 gallon your betta will suffer.

Not to sound rude but... if you're not listening to what's been said we're not really helping at all. Read up on cycling PLEASE, for the sake of your fish. Missfishy's website is pretty much the simplest explanation out there.

On a separate note I don't agree with living quarters as small as a 1 gallon for any fish. They can't be effectively heated or filtered and when something goes wrong water qualty wise, it happens so fast disaster is pretty much imminent. Not sure how companies get away with manufacturing these fish "prisons" anymore. Just my personal opinion though, not meant as a dig at anyone.
no need to waste further fish knowledge. he just wants to have fun with his fish, let him be and he'll be back later with results/outcome

May 7, 2009
I have read up on cycling. Not sure how else to cycle a tank with fish already in it other than test water and do water changes. The fish in the 10gallon have been fine for a week so far.

Is Biozyme any good to help speed up the process? I bought some at my LFS and have used it once so far.