What am I in for

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
As I told ya'll before I have an Aiptasia problem. I am going thru a bottle of Aiptasia X in a little over a month, @ $20.00 a bottle. My LFS sells (sp) Kline Butterfly fish that he says will kill all the Aiptasia in my tank, I told ya'll this in my last post on this problem. The opinions I got here about my problem, was to get a few Pepperment shrimp and to let them deal with this. Well, my LFS can't get any Pepperment Shrimp, he orders them for me, and then they don't come in. Sooooo I got one of the Kline Butterfly fish. I have been resiting getting the fish because I just didn't want another fish in my tank, the shrimp, if they died I could just feed them to my Rose Ann., anyway he told me the fish wouldn't hurt my Zoas and polys, so I broke down and bought the fish because I am tired of dealing with this Aipasia.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Good luck, hope it works for you.. Butterflies are a hit and miss in reef tanks.. Theres no way of saying for sure he won't eat any of ur corals! Keep us posted, and be sure to post some pics!!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
good luck! dont think the good out weigh the risk in this case but if it makes you feel any better i kno of a guy with a clown trigger and bunch of angels in his 360g reef so it can be done

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for the info on this fish. I am going to pop off my zoa and polyp frags off the LR they are mounted on today and put them in my frag tray today to try and keep them safe. Its just sad to have such a sorry LFS. Makes me want to open a store of my own and run the three stores we have in my area out of bussiness. The sad thing is, I shop at the best one and its a sorry store, so you can guess how bad the other two are. I just don't see how they stay in bussiness.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
The sad thing is, I shop at the best one and its a sorry store, so you can guess how bad the other two are. I just don't see how they stay in bussiness.
I think you just answered your own question...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to imply that it is somehow your fault. I understand that you have to shop somewhere and depending on where you live other options probably aren't feasible, but you have to remember that everyone else in the general area is in the same situation as you.

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Strout

Let me tell you my sad story. I had so much aiptasia, I was ready to shut-down my 150G and start with freshwater. I tried it all (I thought). Aiptasia-X in 16ounce bottles, JJ, prayer, blah, blah blah. I gave it a last shot and bought 6 Peppermint shrimp, 3 red leg hermits and said "That's the last time". I can tell you now 3 weeks later, I have no Aiptasia. Was it the shrimp, hermits or the fact thhat the tank heard about reverting to freshwater? I don't know, but my believe is the PM Shrimp. Probably doesn't help you my story, but I am pretty damn pleased.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Well, I have the fish and I will keep him for the time being but, if I start to have the least bit of a problem, hes outa there, and belive me, I know every polyp in my tank, lol. Right now he is staying in one part of the tank and not moving out of that area, some of the other fish chase him around a bit, but I am sure he will settle in soon.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Have you tried the Joe's Juice? That stuff works great. I had a pretty bad breakout of aptasia shortly after I started up my 20 gallon tank and the Joes Juice was great. It never came back after that.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Kalk paste is relatively inexpensive and easy to mix up. Works as well as Joe's Juice. You could try mail ordering peppermint shrimp. I got a bunch from Premium Aquatics....they had them to me overnight no problems.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Haven't stopped by the forum in a bit! My 90 is still going good. I still have aiptasia problems too I just bought a bottle of Aiptasia-X the other day. Seems like it did an excellent job. I've used Joe's Juice before too and I like the AX better. Doesn't clog up like Joe's does and I like the syringe they include with it better the the Joe's one.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
LiveAquaria.com does a "build your own" reef cleaner pack, with peppermint shrimp being one of the choices. If you spend more than $60, shipping is free. You can always pick up some extra snails/hermits and other good stuff to make up the $60.