Same Isssue Been a while What Now?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
some of the readings confused me.
0ppm of what? (after the gh of 25)
You say that the GH is 25 dGH? or 25ppm GH?
It seems you mean that you have 180ppm KH...right?
The pH is mad high for neons, and blood fins, and maybe even the cory. I think the pleco can handle it.

Did you ever test your decorative pebbles with vinegar to get an idea on whether theyll raise your pH or not? (bubbling reaction to vinigar means dont use the pebles as they will raise the pH)
All that is well and good, but that is not what is killing the fish.

OP, why didn't you test for ammonia, since that's why your fish are dying? You need to test for ammonia every . single . day.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I was assuming that he had 0 ammonia, since he had a 0ppm of an unknown, unspecified factor in his satistics.

Like you said, if ammonia is present, forget all about pH, GH, and KH and all that. the ammonia and nitrites are the most deadly.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
love2fish35 said that ammonia is still reading harmfully high in the original post. I'm assumin its 6.0 - 8.0ppm? since there aren't any nitrites yet... but the issue is... its been 2 months... why is this tank not cycling?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
So for some reason bacteria are not growing in an area that is wet and has lots of food... there has to be something in there that is killing or not letting them grow, usually it's chlorine from tap water.

Can you take some tank water to the store to get tested to make sure your results are correct?

Something that might help would be getting some media from a esablished tank. If you don't know anyone with a tank see if the fish store can give you some gravel out of one of there tanks.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
OK, heres what i think. either bleach, soapy residue, or some other toxic (whether liquid of airborne stuff like windex) is entering the water and killing off the bacteria. in 2 months it should have cycled, provided there is a constant source of ammonia. or, check the filter, maybe you have your media packed too tight and water isnt flowing through it but around it. that would cause the sponge media to get mouldy, so check for mould.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
OK, heres what i think. either bleach, soapy residue, or some other toxic (whether liquid of airborne stuff like windex) is entering the water and killing off the bacteria. in 2 months it should have cycled, provided there is a constant source of ammonia. or, check the filter, maybe you have your media packed too tight and water isnt flowing through it but around it. that would cause the sponge media to get mouldy, so check for mould.
you would be surprised what can get in your tank, even a covered tank.
i pulled out a hair from my daughter. im not kidding. she has long hair , and she brushes her hair in my den. she also would put spray in her hair. she does not do this anymore ! lol
and as Newman said check your filter media and such. and dont spray deodorant or air freshener by your tank.

luv2fish35

Small Fish
Oct 14, 2009
Stuart, Florida
Ok guys my ammonia is still at the dangerously high level of 8 and so far no other fish have died I do have a molly that is hanging at the top of the tank and i know she is probably on her way out. Maybe I need to buy the other water dechlorinator that u had recommended before buut I can't remember what it was. Maybe the one from walmart the Jungle brand isnt working...I plan on taking a sample of water tomorrow to the store and have them test it but what should I do from there?

Also another issue...I looked in my tank today and noticed my female guppy's tail is gone i can't tell what happened to it.. I don't have any tail nippers in the tank i dont think and no new fish were added so what do u think happened?

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Ok guys my ammonia is still at the dangerously high level of 8 and so far no other fish have died I do have a molly that is hanging at the top of the tank and i know she is probably on her way out. Maybe I need to buy the other water dechlorinator that u had recommended before buut I can't remember what it was. Maybe the one from walmart the Jungle brand isnt working...I plan on taking a sample of water tomorrow to the store and have them test it but what should I do from there?

Also another issue...I looked in my tank today and noticed my female guppy's tail is gone i can't tell what happened to it.. I don't have any tail nippers in the tank i dont think and no new fish were added so what do u think happened?
if your ammonia is at 8ppm i would recommend water changes every day.
using de-chlorinator.

Feb 27, 2009
Yea thats what I have been doing.. but doesn't seem to me like its doing anything..Why? why is it that all my readings aren't changing? After 50% changes
Jungle's Start Right does not neutralize ammonia, so if your water contains chloramine, using that dechlorinator will ADD ammonia to the water.

If it were me, I'd get a dechlor that neutralizes chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, and binds ammonia. It will not interfer with the nitrogen cycle.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
If your ammonia reading is 8.0, not 0.8, then you need to do a 75% w/c, then do a 50% w/c not long after, to get it down at least to 1.0. Are you sure it isn't 0.8??? because I don't see how you could have any fish left at that level, if it's been staying like that for long.

If ammonia were 8.0 and you did a 50% w/c, then ammonia would immediately read 4.0, because you would be diluting it with fresh water. If your water did not test out at 4.0 right after a 50% w/c, then something could be amiss with your testing methods.

Maybe you should put your testing to the test, so to speak, by checking ammonia immediately before and after a 50% w/c. Post up your results. It might help narrow down the possible problems.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Any dechlorinator that neutralizes chlorine and chloramine should be just fine. Start Right does so neutralize chloramine, here's a link to the product to prove it. Jungle Laboratories Corporation So quit worrying about that.

Now go do an ammonia test, record the result, then do a 50% w/c and test again. Post up the results. This can help us determine if you are testing correctly. Once again, are you positive you are getting 8ppm, and not 0.8ppm????

luv2fish35

Small Fish
Oct 14, 2009
Stuart, Florida
Ok i took a sample of my water to the store to test and they said that everything was ok except for my nitrates were slightly at the stressful unsafe level whatever that meant. this was after I added some amquel to my water but i forgot to remove my filters and left them in when i did the treatment so they told me to do another half treatment of it and retest in and hour. So obviously my test strips SUCK because my ammonia was ok according to her but why then are my fish still dying? well she also told me I have too many fish for my tank size. I have three black mollys two marble mollies. I have four platys. i have three corys one pleco three blood fins two neons and eight guppies. she said i would just have to do water changes every day due to numbers until i get a bigger tank...what do you guys think?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I thin kyou are a bit overstocked.

Use this program to find what you should keep or move to another tank: AqAdvisor - Online Aquarium Tool & Calculator

It doesnt make any sense with the nitrate levels...
If youre doing large water changes frequesntly during the week, than each 50% water change should cut your nitrate reading in half.
I you do three 50% water changes during a week, you nitrate shoudl stay low.
Do water changes long enough and you will have very little nitrate.
So why, after all these water changes are they still telling you that there are high nitrates? Maybe they just want to make a sale on a bigger tank...

And btw dont use strips, use the API freshwater test kit. liquid tests are always better.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Until you get liquid drop test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, there probably isn't much we can do to help you figure out your water quality problem... unless you are willing to not only get your water tested, but record the results in actual numbers.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Until you get liquid drop test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, there probably isn't much we can do to help you figure out your water quality problem... unless you are willing to not only get your water tested, but record the results in actual numbers.
i highly recommend the liquid drop test kit, API Master Test Kit.
its a wise investment. and post some numbers, not ok,within limits etc., actual numbers.
NH3,NO2,NO3 and PH ,Temp.