HELP ME PLZ!!! my eel keeps trying to kill himself!

valeria87

Small Fish
Nov 15, 2009
arkansas
i had already posted some questions before on this and no help..my peacock eel keeps jumping into the filter...this is his third time..i just pulled him out and this time almost all of his skin is coming off and one big spot that is red...its deeper than the rest! the 1st time he done this he done it while i was at work and when i got home i found him in the filter almost dead with only one eye. the 2nd time he done it while i was right beside the tank and heard him jump and i got him out with no harm done but this time i guess he must have done it while i was in bed last night, because hes real bad. i feel so bad for him and want to help him but of course theres no fish vets round here...any ideas on what to do and on how to keep him out of the filters????please theres got to be someone who knows about eels on here!!

valeria87

Small Fish
Nov 15, 2009
arkansas
Eels like dark places to hide, which is why he keeps jumping into the filter. The only thing you can do is block off any access to the filter (by the sounds of it, the top) and provide him with a dark cave to hide in.
i have the tops on the filters but i think hes slithering/jumping up the place where the water comes out. i have 3 pretty good hiding places for him(the ones as shown in my signature pic)so do you think he will be ok and the skin grow back?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I agree that they need someplace dark and that lets them feel secluded. If this has been a problem then it's obvious that you might need to rethink the hiding places you currently have. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, a simple terracotta pot upside down with a small hole big enough for the eel would probably be enough. Good Luck!

Feb 27, 2009
Might want to check water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). They come from slow moving waters in the wild and it may be looking for less flow also. I think the eel may be trying to swim 'upstream' to what it hopes will be water more to its liking.

Just my 2cents.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I just researched some of your species, and it does seem that you have way too many large fish in a small tank. According to the websites I searched, bala sharks need at least 55 to 100 gallons of water PER FISH. Also, a peacock eel needs 20 gallons and depending on the species of pleco you have, it could need 20 gallons as well. The bala shark needs 10 gallons, but beware because it can become very aggressive.

valeria87

Small Fish
Nov 15, 2009
arkansas
I do not know much about peacock eels, but I know some eels grow to a huge sign and will bash themselves against items in the tank if the tank is too small. I does seem like you have quite a lot of big fish in your tank. What kind of pleco do you have, by the way?
as for now all the "big" fish are still fairly small, the bala is about 5 1/2 just a bit bigger than the red tail shark and hes full grown(i think)lol hes about 4-4 1/2 and the peacock eel is maybe about 5" and the pleco well im not sure what type he is but its the black kind...i was told they only grow to the size the tank allows them(small tank they stay small,ect)but anyways hes not that big eigther maybe 5 1/2-6" and the rest are real small but im thinking about giving the bala away or something because he eats more than i expected....he eats everything he can stick in his mouth! they should have more info about the fish at petco and associates in the fish area who have MORE knowledge about the fish they sell there! but thank you all for your help...im bout to go head back 2 petco to get him a cave...lol so do yall think he'll make it though? is there anything i can get him for the wounds? i hate to see him suffer...

jamiejay09

Large Fish
Dec 14, 2009
England
looks cool :) what type of mollies do you have ?? i ♥ mollies lol, i have dalmations,yellow sailfins and they're breeding all the time ,, im lucky my LFS takes them from me for fish food :)

valeria87

Small Fish
Nov 15, 2009
arkansas
i just have 1 adult female black molly and 2 of the fry are black and 1 marble i guess..lol(half its torso is white and the other half black...its cute....but the male neon guppies i have are trying to "mate" the female molly to death...so hopefully if they leave her alone long enough she'll have molly/guppie fry...hope so...they would b cute:)

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
The idea that fish only grow to the size of tank they are put in is a MYTH! What really happens is the fish's growth is stunted due to the small space. Although the fishes' skeletal growth is stunted, it's internal organs will continue to grow, and will eventually burst due to the stunted growth of the skeleton. This is extremely unhealthy and all fish kept in tanks too small for them die prematurely of organ failure. Also, NEVER listen to pet store employees. They do not care for the well being of your fish, and will sell you more fish than you can keep so that they make money, not only at that moment, but they make money when your fish die from stunted growth or other issues and you have to replace that fish. Please, for the sake of your fish, get a bigger tank or rehome the bala shark with someone who has 55 or more gallons to keep it in. I really hope you take my advice.