time for an overhaul. need advice STAT!

Nov 5, 2009
CT
ok i get home from school to find my biggest molly dead from what looks to me like bloat. i know mollies like to be in groups so rather than getting another i decided to ease the burden on my tank by returning the other to the fish store. but now my fish tank seems oddly empty. is there any large(ish) fish that would be ok in my 5 gallon with the 6 tetras and the cory? by large i mean like the size of a goldfish or my molly that died.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
against my better judgment i bought another molly, about half the size of the one that died. i also got some water conditioner that tackles ammonia so that's a plus at least

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
No offense, but that definitely wasn't a good idea. You are WAY overstocked and mollies are one of the worst fish to add, since they have a huge bioload and are poop machines. I would return the molly and the cory at the least. Dwarf gouramis are definitely not a good idea for a 5 gallon, especially one as overstocked as Frakenfish's. I know you want more fish, but you have to think about the health of the fish you currently own and overstocking even more was not the greatest idea. Also, goldfish grow to be 1 to 2 feet long, depending on the species. Goldfish should only be housed in a tank that gives each goldfish 20 gallons to start with and 10 gallons per additional goldfish. Goldfish are monster fish and definitely not appropriate for a 5 gallon tank.

Last edited:

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
You should just upsize your tank. I would get a 10 gallon, AT LEAST, that way you could get another cory and be FULLY stocked. You can't have "large" fish in a tank that size- any fish much over 2" in a 5 gallon won't be too comfortable. If you want a "large" fish, Just get a bigger tank, it would be so much healthier for your fish.

I went on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor , roughly did your tank and you where almost 200% stocked. That's nuts, and very *VERY* unhealthy for your fish!
Do your fish a favor and get a nice tank for them. Small tanks are so much worse than big tanks- in small tanks, there are 1.) few fish species that would be happy in a small tank and can get really stressed because of that, 2.) harmful chemicals easily build up in small tanks, so waay more water changes are needed in a 100% stocked tank and 3.) bigger tanks just look way more awesome that little ones :p

please get your fish a bigger home, a 10g kit would only cost $50 and it includes everything you need.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I agree 100% with Val. I know you want more fish, but fish are pets and they depend on you to take care of them. Adding more fish worsens the situation. I know you plan on upgrading tanks in the future, but if you keep adding fish, they will keep dying. You need a bigger tank. Ten gallon tanks are cheap and will cause you a lot less hassle. Better yet, save yourself even more trouble and buy a 20 gallon tank. But you at least NEED a 10 gallon tank.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
please. i'm un offendable.
but that definitely wasn't a good idea. You are WAY overstocked and mollies are one of the worst fish to add, since they have a huge bioload and are poop machines.
well this ones half the size of the old one so it really couldnt be any worse than b4. which was managable
you keep forgetting the "N" in my name. lol
Also, goldfish grow to be 1 to 2 feet long, depending on the species. Goldfish should only be housed in a tank that gives each goldfish 20 gallons to start with and 10 gallons per additional goldfish. Goldfish are monster fish and definitely not appropriate for a 5 gallon tank.
you know what i mean. the little kind that are kept in bowls. not the pond goldfish
You should just upsize your tank. I would get a 10 gallon, AT LEAST, that way you could get another cory and be FULLY stocked. You can't have "large" fish in a tank that size- any fish much over 2" in a 5 gallon won't be too comfortable. If you want a "large" fish, Just get a bigger tank, it would be so much healthier for your fish.

please get your fish a bigger home, a 10g kit would only cost $50 and it includes everything you need.
its not stubborness on my part that is preventing me from getting a bigger tank. i still live at home for the next 5 months and my mom wont let me get anything bigger. however, in my dorm i can have up to a 30 gallon so we'l be all set once i move out

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
1) well this ones half the size of the old one so it really couldnt be any worse than b4. which was managable

2) you know what i mean. the little kind that are kept in bowls. not the pond goldfish
Two comments, FraNkenfish:
1) Your tank before, given it's very small size, was unmanageable for all those tankmates, even if you didn't know or notice. That's a big part of why your fish died. A new fish half the size doesn't mean your bioload is markedly different, or that you weren't overstocked anyway before you added the new fish.
2) All 'little' goldfish will grow huge. Goldfish kept in bowls don't live very long for a reason - they don't belong in bowls.

Listen to these people - they know what they are talking about.

Dec 20, 2009
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletankbigworld
but that definitely wasn't a good idea. You are WAY overstocked and mollies are one of the worst fish to add, since they have a huge bioload and are poop machines.

Reply:
well this ones half the size of the old one so it really couldnt be any worse than b4. which was managable
Dood when your tank is already over stocked it doesen't matter how big the fish you just bought is its still gonna be stressful on both you and your fish in the long run. If only for there sake plz bring them back to the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletankbigworld
Also, goldfish grow to be 1 to 2 feet long, depending on the species. Goldfish should only be housed in a tank that gives each goldfish 20 gallons to start with and 10 gallons per additional goldfish. Goldfish are monster fish and definitely not appropriate for a 5 gallon tank.

Reply:
you know what i mean. the little kind that are kept in bowls. not the pond goldfish
I'm no cold water expert, but I think the smallest goldfish you can get grows to be 8-10".

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
The goldfish that live in bowls ARE the kind that grow HUGE. Goldfish should NEVER be kept in bowls, by the way. All goldfish get very large and there is no size difference between pond goldfish and fish tank goldfish. Yes, Bristle, the smallest grow to be around 8 to 12 inches, which is still HUGE. It doesn’t matter that your molly fish is smaller. Just because it’s smaller doesn’t mean anything. It will still die from poor water quality and make the water just as dirty as your other fish did. Please listen to us. We are trying to help.

Jan 1, 2010
What's all this talk of goldfish? I don't think the original post suggested getting a goldfish–only to get a fish that are the size of common goldfish at the local Petsmart. At least that's what I gathered.

Frankenfish is looking for a replacement for the dead molly.

Also, no one's mentioned you can't really mix goldfish with tropicals, even though I did have a comet live for 10+ years in my tropical 55 gallon. It grew pretty big.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
How about I mention it again lol, you shouldn't really have goldfish with tropical regardless of what other people (like me and KillaGuppy) did with their fish. it is not right becuase the two are from different temperature waters. goldfish also pose many social and aggression problems for a community tropical tank.

However this has no relation to the original question, to which I will have to agree and say that the tank is stocked well enough already.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
gold fish are small at the pet store but get HUGE. They all start small.

Check CL, i would pass on the 10g all together and go 29+. 29's in my area are all over CL and start around 20/40.00

Dump the molly and the goldfish. you are harming your other fish by keeping them.

Buy a liquid test kit and test your water. I would be willing to bet your numbers are off the chart. I keep a 5g with 10/15 fry in it at the moment. the babies are smaller then a neon tetra juvenile (1/4 in or less), and my levels are CRAZY, I change water 2xday!!!!! and it's still NOT great.

Also if you insist on staying in the 5g, only feed every other day, or less. I know your fish will beg, mine beg in my tank even just 10 minutes after they eat. Don't let the little buggers trick you. :)

Nov 5, 2009
CT
i feel its time for an update here.

as per the goldfish comment i was only using it as a reference. we've all seen the the little bowl sized goldfish and i was only using that as an example to describe what i wanted. i am well aware of how big goldfish can get when in the proper environment.

sadly the other of my two original mollies died today. i watched it go and it wasn't fun to see:(. made me question whether i am capable of keeping fish at all:(.

according to my cheap test strips my levels are all acceptable. my new water conditioner does ammonia too. my tetras are all healthy (looking) and my cory is no longer having trouble staying upright. i also got rid of the green water problem i was having. it is a mystery to me as to why after months of apparent success these two should decide to die within a week of each other.

tomorrow i will most likely bring the newest molly back lest he suffer the fate of the last two

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Frankenfish, anyone is capable of keeping fish if they have the right information, equipment and put in the maintenance required. I think it's great that you are taking back the molly, and respecting the limitations of your small tank. You can still have fun with a small tank, you just can't keep a lot of fish in it, and certain kinds can't be kept in there at all.