Do I want an aquarium?

Matute

New Fish
May 6, 2010
I am not really an Aquarist but I do enjoy seeing other peoples' fishes at their places. The main reason for me not having fish is that it seems all too complicated: water skimmers, pumps, oxigenizers, water temperature... in terms of simplicity a cat would be ideal, only that a cat doesn't provide the soothing relaxation an aquarium does. So I guess I'm here to let you convince me to take the frist step and get an aquarium of my own instead of anoying friends and relatives by sitting in their living rooms all day and emptying their refrigerators!

Any idea where I can start looking for equipment and prices online?

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
It depends on whether you want a saltwater or freshwater aquarium. Saltwater is much more complex and expensive. Freshwater aquariums do not require skimmers and if you have a hang-on-the-back filter, you will not necessarily need an "oxygenizer." (I think you mean a bubbler/air stone.) If you consider an aquarium, I recommend a 5-10 gallon tank. These are 30 to 50 dollars in a kit at Walmart. A heater for either of those tanks would be about 15 dollars. Filters come in the kit. Air pumps are not totally necessary, but a pump and an airstone would be about 25 dollars. Gravel/sand is about 5-10 dollars. Plants and other decorations vary in price. Water siphons are about 10 dollars.
I recommend cycling a 5 gallon tank and adding one betta. This is a cheap, and great way to learn about fish. If you enjoy your betta, you can always buy a larger tank. You can expect to spend 60-70 (plus fish and food) dollars on a bare minimum 5 gallon tank.
Myfishtank.net can help make fishkeeping an enjoyable experience. Welcome and good luck!

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
go freshwater and either get a 20g or 30g because you will probably want multiple and different fish and will quickly outgrow smaller tanks although starting smaller isnt bad for a beginner. not much to taking care of until you go planted or dont add the right fish together. $150 and you can have a REALLY nice setup with fish and everything in a 20-30g. if you decide to go with this make sure you find the thread about cycling a brand new tank. its easy and simple. you COULD do a fish in cycle but i recommend reading on how to do so or you will throw money down the drain.

my best advice if you dont wanna get mad or waste money, DO LOTS OF RESEARCH AND ASKING QUESTIONS. dont necessarily stick to 1 forum you can try multiple but make sure it is a popular site that you can get your questions answered quicker and accurately. also my biggest advice to you, DONT LISTEN TO STORE ASSOCIATES they are idiots (most of them) and sell you things that arent needed. find an experienced forums with good members like this site and ask from other peoples experience and first hand knowledge rather than someone guessing. heck the stores cant even label fish or plants correctly and will sell you a bunch of useless chemicals

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Ya know...fishtanks are really fun and one of the reasons that I got into them in the first place was because of exactly like you said, I liked looking at them in other people's houses and I love going to the aquarium :) Best thing you can do is keep an eye out for a good size tank at garage sales...its starting to be summer and buying a new tank just doesn't make any sense. If you were to try to put more fish in the tank than will fit (we call this overstocking) or dont do regular maintenance or don't do your homework on what fish will work together...then it could end badly...however...the flipside is very reasonable. If you don't overstock, you do your homework on which fish will work together and work in your tank and you do some simple regular maintenance a fishtank is pretty easy to take care of and enjoy! I am pretty bad about doing maintenance myself, so one thing I make a point of doing is under stocking my tanks so that if I go further between water changes it isn't the end of the world.

If I were to do everything all over again here's what I'd do:

1: Buy a 29+ gallon tank with a stand and a hood at a garage sale or off of craigslist. I wouldn't pay more than about 50 bucks unless it is a really large tank. Most people start with a small tank thinking a small tank is easier and then they get discouraged when things don't go right and they get out of the hobby...if only they knew that a larger tank is easier to get going because it is more forgiving. Once you get your tank home find a good spot for it where it is visible, relatively close to a faucet and won't be getting direct sunlight. Either outside or in a bathtub/shower you should also test that your tank holds water. Don't fill it up really quickly or with really hot or really cold water...fill it up slowly and run your hands along all of the silicon seams as tanks that have been dry for a long time can be brittle. If you pop a seam you will be very glad that you did so in a bathtub or outside rather than your living room. Once it's filled up...dry the outside and strategically place some paper towels and walk away let it sit for a couple of hours and make sure there aren't any small leaks.

2: Go to an online retailer like bigalsonline.com or local store and purchase the following: a python (not the snake...a python is a hose that you use to make water changes easy!) and a faucet connector and a gravel siphon that fit onto the python, freshwater test kits for Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate (all of which should come in a kit if you want to get that like the aquarium pharmaceuticals master kit or whatever they call it), get either an eheim canister filter or an aquaclear power filter that is rated for a tank your size (or a bit larger if there is a question), and a bottle of prime (water conditioner (dechlorinator).

3: Even before you get your tank, you can start doing some research online (like reading the FAQ's and posts using the search feature here on MFT) as well as window shopping at your local stores. DONT BUY ANY FISH and be polite, but take anything a pet store employee tells you about fish or fishkeeping with a grain of salt because a lot of times they have no idea what they're talking about. (You hear a lot of us mention this because at one point or another we have all seen it and most of us have had to learn the hard way :) ) Looking at your local stores will familiarize you with some of the fish that are locally available...so you can go home and read about a fish you saw to see if it is easy to keep etc.

4: Once you think you are ready to put water in your tank you have to decide if you want to do fish in or fishless cycling. This is the most frustrating part of setting up your first tank...and its something that will happen whether you pay attention to it or not. The "cycling" process we refer to is what happens when someone is first setting up a tank, before the tank gets "established" and able to handle fish...it goes through a period that is dangerous for the fish. Thats why when you hear about people who get really frustrated with their fishtank when first setting it up because they cant' seem to get fish alive...its probably because they aren't watching the water chemistry and don't know that they either need to do a LOT of water changes for the first few months or be adding in something like bio spira or be doing a fishless cycle.

THEN you can go about getting some fish...and if you've done your homework and are prepared to cycle or have your tank cycled...you should have a lot of time to enjoy your tank.

Matute

New Fish
May 6, 2010
Thanks for the adivce!! ... Keep it coming!

Wow! Thanks for the help! I liked the paper towel tip to check for leaks... Ok, back to business: It seems to me that there is a LOT involved in terms of equipment. As my personal finances go I don't want to be sepending $100s per month, though I don't mind making a one time big expense.
The garage sale option is great but I do not want to buy a fishtank for +/-$50 and have it break apart in the bathtub [by the way good advice again], I want to start with a manageable size that seems to be around the 30 to 40 gln range [any idea how big they are in terms of dimensions [feet/inch]].
The ones I've seen at pet stores seem flimsy [or is it my impression?] would i get a better quality tank online where there are more options? I saw some at fishpetlove.com I liked the fact that they seem down to earth and the prices are not bad at all. I've visited some more established places like fosterandsmithaquatics.com but they seem to just want to sell stuff [that's why there in business after all, I know...].
I feel that small businesses tend to be much more helpful [probably the reason they are still small businesses and not corporate behemoths] I spoke with Fred at fishpetlove.com and he told me that they are going to package aquariums and the appropiate stands together, is this adviseable? I don't want to just put the fishtank on my dinning table; which reminds me: how heavy is a 30 to 40 gln tank[full with water of course]?
About under stocking a fishtank, how do I know how many is adviseable [species, size, nutrients...], i will definetly understock at the beginning to be on the safe side.

... and for a cat I just need a cat litter... help me decide please!

Thanks again to all!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
First...a garage sale fishtank is most likely not going to fall apart on you. Ask the people if it holds water and take it at face value. MOST people who are selling them at garage sales just got tired of having them. ALL of my tanks have come from garage sales except my first 10 gallon that I stupidly bought from a pet store (which by the way was the ONLY one that I've ever had leak and is the only reason I test all of my tanks before I set them up! A new tank is even more likely to have brittle/dry seals so you have to be extra careful when filling them up for the first time) and then I bought my 46g bowfront new with a stand because I wanted a specific color of trim to match some furniture and wasn't able to find one. Ironically one showed up on craigslist not too long after at half the price (even though I got mine on sale) which I was a bit perturbed about...but oh well. I wouldn't buy a tank new...that gives you more money to spend on the equipment and fish.

Secondly, a good rule of thumb to go by is 10 pounds per gallon of water. A gallon of water weighs 8+ pounds and by the time you add in gravel/rocks/wood/filter etc its going to be somewhere around that 10 pounds per gallon mark. You NEED to buy a stand that is made to hold weight because it will redistribute weight on your floor as well as is hopefully built to withstand pressure of prolonged weight. In other words, most dressers or pieces of furniture that look like they would hold a fishtank...aren't made to hold that kind of weight. Now, if we're talking a 5 gallon tank, obviously that is a different story. Moral of the story...buy a tank with a stand or a stand for a tank. I got a 55 free from a friend and a stand for a 55 for 50 dollars off of craigslist. The deals are there, you just need to look for them.

A good rule of thumb for how much fish is to do some research. Figure out how big the fish is going to be as an adult. A good rule of thumb guideline (although not a 'bible' depending on the fish this may not be appropriate) is one inch of fish per gallon. A lot of the smallish community type fish count as 2 inches. So, if I have a 29 gallon tank and I want to get 5 zebra danios (~10 inches), 3 guppies (6 inches) and a bristlenose pleco (6 inches)...I still have about 6 inches left of "space" to fill. That isn't going to look like many fish when they are teeny...but when they get bigger you'll appreciate that they needed the space. danios are great starter fish, they're not flashy persay, but they are entertaining to watch and good eaters and a pretty "clean" fish. If you wanted to get an angelfish, I'd count that as 10 gallons because they get tall and long. You also have to do your research because I'm not sure I'd put zebra danios in with an angelfish...unless they were long finned types...because they tend to be kind of nippy.

Read around on this site...there have been a lot of FAQ's (or links to them) stickied at the top of forums...esp the beginner forum.

You need a lot more than cat litter for a cat ;) Scratching post, food, you need to clean their box, you need to know what to do if they have hairballs or a runny nose, you groom them, you take them to the vet for shots... This is just a different pet that needs different stuff.

Matute

New Fish
May 6, 2010
Thanks again FroggyFox! and all of you!

So a stand IS important... Guess that if bought online it'll cost me a fortune to get it delivered... Craiglist to the rescue i guess.

I think from your opinions and others this is what I should do:

-go freshwater
-get a 30 to 40 galon tank
-get a filter
-put it close to a sink/water hose
-put it on a sturdy table [I believe they make specialized furniture]
-cycle
-get fish food
-get fish cichlids seem to be a good option

I've heard that I would have to get chemicals, is this true? or will it depend on something like overstocking or understocking or other?

I've been heraing that filters are a must, comparing prices I found that fispetlove.com has the cheapest, I'm starting to like this place:

Rio Hang On Back Wet/Dry Filter [FI-TM110] - $9.99 : Aquariums and Aquarium Supplies , FishPetLove.com

Is this a good brand? I aslo would like to buy everything from only one place.

I still am skeptical about buying a fish tank from a garage sale, don't get me wrong I do buy a bunnch of stuff at garage sales but in terms of a fish tank... if it doesn't work... well... a lot of innocent fish would die... I think that until I get accostumed I will go for a new one. Are there any "brand names" or are thay all pretty much the same? aslo, there is acrylic and glass, whish one is better? [i would guess as a newbie i should go acrylic]

Thanks again!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You need to get a filter, yes. Personally if I was going to get a HOB filter I'd go with an aquaclear. I hate HOB filters though (just because of the sounds) and if I had a choice overall I'd get an eheim canister filter. You also don't really want to just go with the best price on this...most likely you will get what you pay for. (again if you find one used on craigslist or at a garage sale that will save you a chunk of change.) I am not entirely sure why you'd want to buy everything from one place. You might save on shipping if you can find everything you want at the same place...but I wouldn't sacrifice quality equipment for something else just because a place doesn't have them. It doesn't save you any money in the long run if you have to replace a filter in 6 months instead of buying one that will last you years and years. Have you looked at Aquarium Supplies, Cheap Dog Supplies, Fish Supplies, Best Cat Toys How about Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products Have you checked out that fish place.com ? They are an mft sponsor and I believe they still have a discount code for members :) I love big als online, drs foster & smith, my local fish stores and petsmarts...and of course craigslist and garage sales :)

The only 'chemicals' you should need would be test kits for monitoring your cycle...but none of those chemicals go in the tank, and a good dechlorinator. Prime is a common one that is used (and also the one I use) You will need to put some in initially to get ride of the chlorine and then add some each time you do a water change or top off using tap water.

You probably shouldn't get the fish food until you decide which fish you're getting...and you should do some research on fish food too. Some fish are super picky and fish food is one of those things that you pay more for a better quality one so don't just pick the cheapest one.

There are a zillion different kinds of cichlids...some of them are super cool :) Do some looking around to see what is available locally and some research about which types go well together or if you'd rather just get one kind and do a species tank, and make sure you look at what size tank they need. Some of them are so aggressive/territorial that to have two of them you'd need a HUGE tank. One of my favorites that I'd like to do again are n. Brichardi...I really think they'd do best in a species tank though. When I get them again I'll probably put them in my 29 with some good rock.

Acrylic tanks have come a long way technology and price wise, but usually any acrylic tank I've seen is small...like 5 or 10 gallons...and if its larger than that and used you have to be very careful because they are relatively easy to scratch. Good ol solid glass tanks are heavy as all get out, but there's a reason they've been around for so long :) All of my tanks are glass (most are the brand "All Glass") except a little 6 gallon and a little 5 gallon. Again, a used tank from a garage sale or craigslist is more likely to be the best deal because it was probably already used (so the person selling it will know if it holds water), will be WAY cheaper than buying new, and a lot of times will come with a stand. I would not want to ship a fishtank...I know what boxes look like when something is shipped to me! Really the only 2 concerns with a used tank is A) Does it hold water (which is easy enough to test) and B) does it have anything in it that will be harmful to fish (elbow grease, hot water and a bit of bleach will go a long way towards getting a tank spic and span)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Oh yeah, no doubt, I'd love to have all acrylic tanks, but they are still hella expensive when you get bigger...and used ones are a gamble because of the scratching etc.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
Hello I will not go through all the parts of a tank you need or talk about tanks and etc. But I will give ya something to think. Remember many people get small tanks and later advance to a bigger tank because either they just want to or they need to, and many others get really small tanks and see that fish keeping is boring and gets rid of it. Id personally start with 29gal or bigger Id even go for 55 gal atleast. I bought small tanks and got bigger, then bigger, then finally invested in 75g. But something to think about is your fish. I am a big cichlids fan due to there colors but a huge downside is there is so many kinds of cichlids you couldnt even image and choose from to keep... and second biggest thing thats bad is compatibility of these fish. Many of them need to not be mixed with others, they like other fish are aggressive, likes hiding spots, bigger tank the better. Many will tell you not to stick/mix... and say its wrong but Personally I had good results of fish behavior with my very wrong mixed of fish and I just had tons of hiding spots and 55 gal. Some fish ideas Id suggest are

http://freshwatercichlids.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/yellow_lab_cichlid.jpg Yellow lab I call them.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/image.php?id=1385&pic=1
Theres diff Kenji Aulonocara masoni

http://www.gonta036.com/episode25/red%20zebra%20cichlid2.jpg
Red Zebra

Google Image Result for http://ciclidemalawi.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/yellow-tail-acei-cichlid.jpg

Jeweled http://www.cichlidaddicted.com/Cichlid-Jewel.gif

Bumble Bee http://www.petfish.net/articles/pix/arts2/BeeBee_01.jpg

I mean these are just a few I had in my tanks. Another thing is I suggest going to http://www.cichlid-forum.com/ its a forum for that specifically they go hugest library Ive seen of all types and what there names are and etc.. also They got some really cool tank setups and info there as well. ANother huge thing is go to youtube.com and search for cichlid tanks and etc.. you can see how pretty many are. Also that site I listed has video section as well and they got amazing(best Ive seen) tanks in people houses.. from small tanks to huge tanks!

edit- Another thing I suggest is I liked to get backgrounds from the stores and turn the picture away from the tank and the plain black part towards the tank(so the background is per black) made the tanks nicer and pretty/color came out more. Another thing is I switched many times with rock colors and etc.. Then I really got into stone work where its like flat peices of rocks inside laid in different ways(really cool) check that out on that other forum. They got a make tank section, video of tank section, pictures of tank section.

Last edited:

Matute

New Fish
May 6, 2010

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I don't know anything really about bigger acrylic tanks. The only tank I've ever had issues with was a new 10g I bought from petsmart :) Bowfronts are very pretty tanks...but you'll have to get a stand specifically made for it. I have a 46g bowfront from AGA and I love it. That's the one I bought to match the furniture in my bedroom, but it cost a pretty penny.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Craigs list is where i buy ALL of my tanks. I NEVER buy used heaters.

Aquaclear makes the BEST filters, the are ALWAYS over rated, (aquaclear 50 for a 29G) The aquaclears do not need new pads etc. they are slightly more expencive then the tetra and whisper brand (I think the 50's run 35-40)

Pea Gravel from home depot makes a great substrate, it looks nice and will cost you about 3.00 TOTAL (instead of about 40 for aquarium gravel), it's very dirty so you will have to wash the crap out of it with a garden hose and a strainer

buy a good heater. you won't regret it.

Once you get water in your tank, let it sit for 3 days.
THEN go see a friend with a fish tank.
Take 2 gallons of water out of their tank and put it in a bucket,
THEN get the pads or sponges from their filters and SWISH it in the bucket of fish water, it should turn the water brown and mucky
Dump said mucky water in your tank with filters on
Add fish.

Basically what you did with the mucky water is skipped the whole cycling process you took established bacteria from someone Else's tank so you should be all set for fish right away.

DO NOT BUY A COMMON PLECO! they get HUGE! Do NOT BE SOLD A COMMON PLECO!

If you were going to do a tank of africans I would get red zebras, Kenyi, Acei, socolofi, blue zebras, maybe 1 bumblebee. I absolutely LOVE electric yellows but they are fairly timid on the scale of things and can stress themselves to death.

you should be able to get a 29G up and running for 150 or less. Stock lock and barrel.

Things you need
-tank (do not pay more then $1.00/gallon at a garage sale or Craigs list, tank+stand+hood should cost around 50.00 for a 29 gallon)
-stand
-hood/lights
-Gravel (home depot pea gravel 1 bag)
-Fake plants (if you have pet supplies plus you get a 5.00 cupon for signing up for their discount card I would use it on this)
-decorations (you can use slate, clay pots, the kind they sell at the fish store, get creative)
-heater (don't be cheap)
-filter (don't be cheap)
-bubbler+ air hose + air stone (you can be cheap here)
-High quality food

Matute

New Fish
May 6, 2010
OK OK NO COMMON PLECO, I WILL NOT BE SOLD A COMMON PLECO... I SWEAR!!!!
:)

I chnged my mind a bit, forget the bowfront, I'm going rectangular, still want to buy the tank new, i feel more comfortable that way.

I checked fishtankdirect.com they have a wide selection, I personally like fishpetlove.com, they didn't seem to have many tanks I called them and the owner Fred told me that they got a couple of new suppliers and are in the process of uploding the info so i'll wait what they have to offer.

By the way he told me to watch this:

FishPetLove Jingle : Aquariums and Aquarium Supplies , FishPetLove.com

He was problably trying to cut on the advertising budget!!!

tmc20

New Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Denver
I would say YES! if you enjoy looking at aquariums I think you would love having one of your own. I got my 36 gallon tank for my 20th birthday about a mont ago and I am hooked! I hope this helps!

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Hey if you are set on buying new (which i don't really think is necessary, as you can likely get something bigger/better used or the same but have extra cash for better fish or supplies) Walmart carries a nice 55 set up, I actually saw one set up the other day and thought it was nice. a 55long is really a 55long it's a bit tough to screw up, and i believe the set up at Walmart is by Tetra which is not a company i love for their filters or food, but the tank will be just fine... the set up at walmart is 158.00. The actual tank is not one of the places where extra cash is well spent. :)
Spend the extra money on good filters, and nice decor.

Matute

New Fish
May 6, 2010
OK. After calling acouple of places I spoke with Fred, owner of fishpetlove.com, he is going to put the whole setup together for me. He is getting somne new aquariums so I'll wait a bit.

By the way any magazine you could recommend?

Also, fred asked me if a fishpetlove.com 'bar' for my browser would not anoy me, personally it doesn't... any comments?