New fluval edge - need cycling & stocking suggestions

Alex2290

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I just bought a fluval edge today and have it all set up. I added the cycle chemical that was included with the tank and a piece of driftwood with.a plant growing out of it from my LPS. How long will it take until I can start introducing fish into the aquarium?

I am looking for stocking suggestions also! I was thinking maybe something along the line of 4-5 neon tetras and 1-2 albino Cory cats, but I am also interested in adding in a couple of ghost shrimp. Obviously, I have yet to add any fish in, so I am not set on just this one set-up.

Thanks guys and gals for any advice you may give me!! ;D

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
How big is the tank? What "cycle" stuff? What is "LPS" (Do you mean LFS-Local Fish Store?) Do you have a means of testing water parameters? Do you know anything about the cycle? I know lots of "What's" But determining the level of knowledge you have will help us give you advice!
BTW.....WELCOME!

Alex2290

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
How big is the tank? What "cycle" stuff? What is "LPS" (Do you mean LFS-Local Fish Store?) Do you have a means of testing water parameters? Do you know anything about the cycle? I know lots of "What's" But determining the level of knowledge you have will help us give you advice!
BTW.....WELCOME!
The tank is 6 US Gallons and is a Fluval Edge (title). Nutrafin is the brand for the cycle. I do not have anything to test the water, yet, because I thought it would be too early to test it anyway. I was planning to buy testing kits and everything else this afternoon. I do not know anything about the cycling process since all I've read up on is cycling brand new tanks from scratch (without any biological supplement/fish/used decorations).

And yeah, I meant LFS.. :p I typed that up at 3am on an iPhone. Go easy on me! :p

I'm pretty much a noob here...! Help! :p

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Please read this to find out about the nitrogen cycle. It should explain everything.
The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

With a 6 gallon tank you have enough space for a beta and some shrimp. Unfortunately, you CAN NOT keep a beta in a fluval edge because they require air at the top of the tank. Beta fish actually breathe regular air. So you'd be stuck with just shrimp and a few snails.

The alternative is something I'm just learning about: Freshwater Nano Tanks. Basically they're super small versions of regular groups of fish (one inch or less). Microrasboras (several types), Microdanios (a few types), pygmy cories and something Orangecones raised, which is basically a super small version of a pipe fish. Your biggest problem will be with overstocking your tank. Orangecones says those super small fish breed like rabbits and quickly produce too many fry to live in such a small space.

Last edited:

Alex2290

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Please read this to find out about the nitrogen cycle. It should explain everything.
The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

With a 6 gallon tank you have enough space for a beta and some shrimp. Unfortunately, you CAN NOT keep a beta in a fluval edge because they require air at the top of the tank. Beta fish actually breathe regular air. So you'd be stuck with just shrimp and a few snails.

The alternative is something I'm just learning about: Freshwater Nano Tanks. Basically they're super small versions of regular groups of fish (one inch or less). Microrasboras (several types), Microdanios (a few types), pygmy cories and something Orangecones raised, which is basically a super small version of a pipe fish. Your biggest problem will be with overstocking your tank.
Thank you, but I know about the cycle and how long it usually takes, I just don't know about how long it takes with this used driftwood w/ plant.

I'm positive that more than just one fish will fit in the tank.. x)

I have been looking into pygmy cories but I do not think anyone in my area sells them. I am going to do more research on the Microasboras.. I looked at some pictures of different species and they look pretty nice. I'm going to have to make some calls to fish stores today just to see if anyone carries these fishies! They certainly are nicer looking than just neon tetras.

But honestly, when I was posting about stocking suggestions, I just wanted to know which fish you think would look nice in an Edge. :)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
The driftwood won't affect your cycle positively or negatively. The plant will actually help your cycle.

As far as stocking goes, microrasbora (like galaxy rasbora, also called celestial pearl danios), endler livebearers, shrimp and snails are about all you could fit in there. I wouldn't even consider putting cories in there because of their activity level (my pandas are still under 1" long, but they use the entire 30"x12" footprint of my 20gL tank...we're not even going to get into the albinos...I have four in my 55gal and they use every square centimeter or it...they also get to be close to 3" in length).

You can't just think about what "would look nice in an Edge." You have to think about the environment and care needs of the fish and what will be best for them. You're creating a miniature environment for living creatures. You wouldn't keep a 17hh warmblood stallion in a tiny box stall all the time just because it looks nice. You should have the same attitude with fish.

Alex2290

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
The driftwood won't affect your cycle positively or negatively. The plant will actually help your cycle.

As far as stocking goes, microrasbora (like galaxy rasbora, also called celestial pearl danios), endler livebearers, shrimp and snails are about all you could fit in there. I wouldn't even consider putting cories in there because of their activity level (my pandas are still under 1" long, but they use the entire 30"x12" footprint of my 20gL tank...we're not even going to get into the albinos...I have four in my 55gal and they use every square centimeter or it...they also get to be close to 3" in length).

You can't just think about what "would look nice in an Edge." You have to think about the environment and care needs of the fish and what will be best for them. You're creating a miniature environment for living creatures. You wouldn't keep a 17hh warmblood stallion in a tiny box stall all the time just because it looks nice. You should have the same attitude with fish.
Please no lecture. I said I was thinking about the cories, and nothing was set in stone. I kniow about how large they grow and that they are schooling fish. I was only asking what YOU think look good in a tank this small. I do not appreciate you talking down to me for asking your opinion.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Not talking down to you or trying to lecture. Just reminding you that you have to take into consideration more than what looks good when stocking a tank. From the way you sounded, you weren't taking that into consideration. Sorry if I offended.

As far as what I think would look good in an Edge. Honestly, I think a small group of celestial pearl danios (about 5) would be awesome with some interesting shrimp (not standard amanos, ghosts or even red cherry shrimp, but something unique, like the black forest shrimp, bumblebee ninja shrimp, or yellow shrimp).

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
I'll go easy...The title states it is an Edge, not the size.....*SUPERSMIL

What method are you using for an ammonia source?

Make sure you buy the liquid test kits, not the strips. Most of us use the API Fresh Water Master Kit.

A 6 gallon is really small for any fish, it may be good for an ADF (African Dwarf Frog) but they are a tad sensitive to water parameters so I would make sure the tank is fully cycled.

Alex2290

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Not talking down to you or trying to lecture. Just reminding you that you have to take into consideration more than what looks good when stocking a tank. From the way you sounded, you weren't taking that into consideration. Sorry if I offended.

As far as what I think would look good in an Edge. Honestly, I think a small group of celestial pearl danios (about 5) would be awesome with some interesting shrimp (not standard amanos, ghosts or even red cherry shrimp, but something unique, like the black forest shrimp, bumblebee ninja shrimp, or yellow shrimp).
It's fine.. Sorry if I came off a little strong.

I really like those celestial pearl danios, and they are small enough to do well in a 6 gallon tank, but my problem would be finding them in Jacksonville... Same thing with nearly any shrimp other than ghost shrimp.

Do you know if different species of shrimp will get along with each other? Example: ghost and cherry; yellow and black forest?

Last edited:

Alex2290

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
You can order them online, if that's an option for you (I know it isn't for me, but that's just me).

Here's a site that has them for not *too* expensive...Danios Fish Celestial Pearl Danio

You can also try AquaBid...sometimes they have them on there. AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website
Yeah, I saw those websites.. but how reliable are they? How do I know if I am getting healthy/young fish? And if they die or arrive dead, what could I do about it? >.<

I'll go easy...The title states it is an Edge, not the size.....*SUPERSMIL

What method are you using for an ammonia source?

Make sure you buy the liquid test kits, not the strips. Most of us use the API Fresh Water Master Kit.

A 6 gallon is really small for any fish, it may be good for an ADF (African Dwarf Frog) but they are a tad sensitive to water parameters so I would make sure the tank is fully cycled.
I'm not using an ammonia source as far as I know. Should I? I guess I could pick up a couple dead ghost shrimp on my way home from work if need be.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
As far as I know, AZ Aquatic Gardens is VERY reliable. If you have a DOA fish, they will replace it (you do have to pay shipping for the new fish, but that's the way it is with ANY site...just like paying for the gas to take a dead fish back to the LFS). I know of people who have ordered from them and been VERY pleased. If I could order fish online, I'd probably order from them first (when I have the money, I want to get some of their black forest shrimp or bumblebee ninja shrimp).

I'm not sure about the sellers on AquaBid, but from what I've heard, they're all pretty good.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Chili rasbora, zebra rasbora, phoenix rasbora, celestial rasbora/danio, PYGMY cory, pea puffer, shrimp, small snails, ember tetra, boraras micro, scarlet badis, Asian Stone Catfish and that pipe fish orangecones linked should all fit happily in a 6 gallon....just not all at the same time.

Just like with ebay, you can check a seller's reputation with aquabid. Liveaquaria has a decent reputation as well.

Edit: Liveaquaria has celestials on sale right now for 4.49 a piece. Sparkling Gourami (which could probably work in your tank) are 1.49.

Last edited:

Alex2290

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
You will need something to cycle the tank. The stuff that came with the tank will do nothing. Some fish food will work......As it decay's it will produce ammonia.
Oh? =/

Fish food or dead shrimp. Which is better? I'm leaning towards the fish food only because it seems less disgusting. I have no flakes atm because I have no fish. I'll have to pick those up later.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I would honestly go with the dead shrimp. You'll have to put a TON of flakes into the tank to create enough ammonia to cycle the tank and it creates a HUGE mess on/in your gravel. Hang a piece of raw shrimp (from the grocery seafood counter) in a clean, unused ladies nylon stocking in the tank and viola. Or you could ask your LFS if you could have a piece of their used filter media (as long as their tanks are disease-free) and put it into your tank...that'd instantly cycle your tank for you.

Alex2290

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I would honestly go with the dead shrimp. You'll have to put a TON of flakes into the tank to create enough ammonia to cycle the tank and it creates a HUGE mess on/in your gravel. Hang a piece of raw shrimp (from the grocery seafood counter) in a clean, unused ladies nylon stocking in the tank and viola. Or you could ask your LFS if you could have a piece of their used filter media (as long as their tanks are disease-free) and put it into your tank...that'd instantly cycle your tank for you.
Well I work in a pet store so I'm sure I could get that easily. Would used media help even though filters are changed daily?