New fluval edge - need cycling & stocking suggestions

Alex2290

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I had a shrimp mishap today/last night. Apparently, they all got sucked into the filter. Epic fail. I saw a few this morning and I figured they were all hiding, then I couldn't find ANY this afternoon, so I checked the filter and they were swimming around. At least one casualty. :( I put the pre-filter sponge back on...

Also, I tied taiwan moss to a little piece of driftwood. Hopefully it will grow nice and big. The shrimp don't seem to care about it.

Oct 15, 2010
Not sure if this would work- try cutting a piece of sponge (like the kind you put in your filter) and stuffing it inside of the intake piece. That or a piece of mesh wrapped around the outside of it.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Fishy crack, right there. It should be illegal. ;)

Am I the only one whose fish DON'T go gaga over algae wafers? NONE of my fish, OR my two ghost shrimp will even touch them and I end up having to vacuum them out. I even bought them the expensive Hikari crap!

Feb 27, 2009
I've paid $35 shipping on my fish anytime I order. Some offer 2-3 day shipping, but I always pay for the overnight shipping, and pick them up when the post office opens so they don't ride around in a bumpy truck all day.

I've not sold any of my Chilis in about a year. I started out with 6, sold several batches of 12-15, and now have 13 left, which are all from the last batch of fry.

Some say it is a lot to pay for to have fish shipped. But I like things you don't see in every fish store. The inbreeding that goes on with vast commercial breeding operations does not necessarily produce a healthy fish. With the exception of my Celestial Pearl Danios, all my fish are wildcaught. The danio were bought from another hobbyist online.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
disadvantage i can mention right now is parasites. another one would be getting the wild fish used to regular flake and pellet food or food that doesnt move. once youre past that you have won more than half the battle with wild caught fish.

advantages? i suppose less of a chance to get very inbred individuals, an interesting coloration or pattern only see in wild caught fish perhaps. that depends on the fish.

Feb 27, 2009
disadvantage i can mention right now is parasites.
It depends on the importer when it comes to diseases/parasites.

All that I've bought from are given antibiotics and antiparasite treatments prior to being offered for sale (and held 2+ weeks after treatment is over).

I've NEVER had a parasite/disease issue with wild-caught fish except for an order of Otocinclus cocama (Zebra otos) that arrived in the bag with ich. Out of a batch of 10, two died within 24 hours (and refunded by the shipper). That was the first time I'd ordered from an out-of-the-country supplier, but I could not find them in the USA anywhere for sale for over 8 months of looking.

I've had plenty of parasites/diseases brought in from a LFS with mass produced fish like guppies, mollies, platies, neon tetras, various danio etc.

another one would be getting the wild fish used to regular flake and pellet food or food that doesnt move. once youre past that you have won more than half the battle with wild caught fish.
Amen to this disadvantage with some fish! I have one species that after the 3rd generation tank-raised, is just starting to take an interest in commercially prepared foods. I don't mind providing live food to my fish (and do for most meals), but it makes them more 'marketable' if they will eat flake/pellet foods.

advantages? i suppose less of a chance to get very inbred individuals, an interesting coloration or pattern only see in wild caught fish perhaps. that depends on the fish.
And usually a much larger variety of fish available than even the largest LFS will have in stock. The wild-caught fish, in my experience, adapt very quickly to captive life if you keep their aquarium clean and more 'natural' for them. If they come from fast moving rivers/streams, provide them with a submerged powerhead for more flow. If they come from heavily planted, slow moving waters, provide that.