Stocking ideas for a 10 gal

Oct 29, 2010
This website has some cool ideas:
Stocking a 10 Gallon Tank - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

It can be a bit conservative, but it worth a look :)

I'd personally recommend a few cories to fill out the bottom part, as the tetras will provide movement all around the top :)

Venezuelan Pygmy Cories are super adorable and among the smallest types, so you can get more with less bioload. Make sure you have at least three or four (more=better) if you go the cory route!

Then maybe some/a cool snail(s)?
Snail Species List .:. Freshwater Aquarium Snail Species Information Pages

Or shrimp, if you grow live plants! <3
Shrimp Species List .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Pages

Nov 5, 2009
CT
its kind of hit or miss with bettas. they tend to me most aggressive towards fish that look like other bettas with big wavey fins. nothing you have looks like a betta so you should be ok but just keep an eye on it when you first put it in to make sure it is not harassing the others. i have had very good luck keeping bettas in my 5 gallon, as incredibly overstocked as it is. like i said, keep an eye on it at first and if its not showing signs of aggression you're good to go*thumbsups

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I would NOT put a betta with nippy fish like serpaes. They may be excited by the betta's flowing fins and harrass him. Plus they are pretty active, so the constant movement and nips could make for a very unhappy, hiding betta . . . .

Oct 29, 2010
The danger to your betta would be from harassment by your tetras. Both species can be fin-nippy when kept in small groups.

It's possible that your betta would be fine, and enjoy a long healthy life in the tank :) But just in case, you should have a backup plan ready if he's being tormented.

To be on the safe side, a female betta or male plakat with shorter fins would be in less danger from the other fish :D

michele08

Small Fish
Mar 18, 2011
well in 12 days....my cycling in complete! i hope...& i plan on giving back my starter fish to my LFS. I really want to put either a betta or a dwarf gourami...which one would be better to get. I want a colorful tank with fish that will get along! I def want to get cory cats as well.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
well... do you want one fish or a few fish....

because a betta is probably going to need to be kept alone... some folks have success with a female in a community tank, even fewer have success with a male in that type of set up....

so im going to say groumi

Nov 5, 2009
CT
because a betta is probably going to need to be kept alone... some folks have success with a female in a community tank, even fewer have success with a male in that type of set up....
not necessarily. i dont know whether my betta is male or female but it thrives in my community tank. its an excellent addition. as stated earlier in the thread a bigger concern would be the betta getting nipped by nippy fish rather than harassing others.

so if you want a betta in your tank, build your community around what will be the most peaceful with it

michele08

Small Fish
Mar 18, 2011
Ok. This is what i want. 1 dwarf Gourami, 3 Corys, & 5 of some schooling fish...either neon tetras, glofish, guppies, etc...can you guys help with that?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Be careful with the direct sunlight your tank gets or you'll have an algae problem.

If you go with a betta you'll probably want to get a broad leafed anubias plant, or a fake one. He/she'll like the real one more than the fake. Dwarf Gourami are the same way.

A background would be good. They have generic coral type sheets that would go good. Or, you could measure out the dimensions of the back of your tank, take a large picture and have office max/office depot blow the pic up to your dimensions and laminate it.

Oct 29, 2010
Glofish are brightly colored Zebra Danios and may be too active for your tank. Guppies would be cool, but they're wimps and sometimes gouramis will go after them. Neon tetras would probably work well though :) as would a group of cories. Just make sure you get three of the same kind so they can school together! :D

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
not necessarily. i dont know whether my betta is male or female but it thrives in my community tank. its an excellent addition. as stated earlier in the thread a bigger concern would be the betta getting nipped by nippy fish rather than harassing others.

so if you want a betta in your tank, build your community around what will be the most peaceful with it
The problem with a betta is not aggression... It's stress.

They prefer the top of the tank and like to hang out, too many swimming fish beneath them stress them out and can and do frequently kill them... They are also slow clumsy swimmers, who lead solitary lives in nature.

Pretty sure anyone on this forum worth their salt will back me up that while a betta can work in a community tank it is not advised due to the problems listed above.

there is a difference between surviving and thriving