I hate snails

Nov 5, 2009
CT
seriously. why do they keep dying? I've NEVER had such consistent bad luck with ANYTHING like i've had trying to keep snails. those 2 trap doors i got not even a week ago are already dead. in both tanks. what am i doing wrong?

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello;

Years ago I put a male betta in a community tank that also had some mystery snails and rams horn snails. Over time the betta killed all the snails. He would stage near the snail and wait untill the snail opened up and extended a body part. He would then lunge in and take a bite.

Another possibility is that snails are cited as being sensitive to salt.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
water parameters:

Nitrate:17
Nitrite: a little high. .6-.7 ish
Hardness: 120
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 80
pH: 6.8

Nitrites might be a little high because i just did a water change. probably going through a little mini cycle

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
ummm i hate snails too!!!!!!!

I tried really big apple snails again here recently dead dead dead....

my fish pecked them to death, then they closed up so the fish didnt eat the bodies but the snails were still dead as doornails... :(

salt and predators would be my guess....

i would also venture to suggest you mean ammonia where you said chlorine?

Alex2290

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
ummm i hate snails too!!!!!!!

I tried really big apple snails again here recently dead dead dead....

my fish pecked them to death, then they closed up so the fish didnt eat the bodies but the snails were still dead as doornails... :(

salt and predators would be my guess....

i would also venture to suggest you mean ammonia where you said chlorine?
My guess is he's using test strips which don't tell you ammonia (unless you buy a separate strip).

And when I saw the "I hate snails" title.. I was like me too! But then I was all disappointed because you wanted a snail and it dies. I don't want snails and mine live! Lol. I get tired of crushing them :p

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I have a larger than golf ball sized male mystery that used to have a breeding partner who cracked its shell and died. It's all good though. I have around 50 marble sized babies in the tank now.

Oh, and the tank I have with the pond snails? They don't mess with my wisteria, baby tears or glosso much and it's the Cleanest Tank EVAR!

I love snails.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
My guess is he's using test strips which don't tell you ammonia (unless you buy a separate strip).

And when I saw the "I hate snails" title.. I was like me too! But then I was all disappointed because you wanted a snail and it dies. I don't want snails and mine live! Lol. I get tired of crushing them :p
crushing pond snails is a bad plan.... when you crush them they release their eggs and you get more snails

the best way is removal or chemicals to get them out

chemicals will kill inverts and scaleless fish so you cant do that if you have say shrimp and loaches in the tank but if you have a tank with like platties guppies and mollies that is the fastest way too wack a snail

if you want to go the removal route put veggies (squash or zuccini work best) in the bottom of the tank at night in the morning remove it along with the snails then throw the snails out. Repeat till you have no more snails

yeah but they dont make strips that test for chlorine.... well they do but you have to buy them at a health food store and they are for testing drinking water.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I stand corrected, i have never seen chlorine on a strip for marine use.

in the end you know what we are going to say right? that strips aren't accurate and you need a liquid test kit :(

Nov 5, 2009
CT
I stand corrected, i have never seen chlorine on a strip for marine use.

in the end you know what we are going to say right? that strips aren't accurate and you need a liquid test kit :(
ya i know. first week of june i'm doing a major overhaul of all the fish in my house. the 5 gallon fish are moving to the 10 gallon. the frog i'm returning because its boring and lives too long. haha. the two goldfish in bowls i'm putting in the 5 gallon. i know thats still not nearly enough space but its an improvement. i'l be getting the liquid kit then too. among other things.

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
Warning! Long and complicated explanation:

I'm re-reading "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium," which is very good if anyone is ready to dive into some dense science. D. Walstad is the author. Anyhow, I'm on the chapter about allelopathy right now.

Plants and algae both produce a wide variety of chemicals to deter things that want to eat them, or to kill other plant and algae that compete with them for space and nutrients. That's why it can be hard to add a new species of plant to a tank that's already been heavily planted with one or two other species. The first species of plant will have had time to release chemicals into the substrate and/or water to inhibit growth of competing species. The new thing you plant doesn't have a chance to get established and start pumping out it's own chemical warfare before it is poisoned.

Algae do this too. Quite often a species that is not the intended target of the chemical attack is affected. The allelochemicals meant to inhibit another algae, or stop your otos from snacking, may also harm fish that wouldn't eat algae if they were starving. One species of fish in your tank may be sensitive to the chemicals, while another couldn't care less. This is one reason you want to do some large thorough water changes any time you scrape algae off the glass in your tank or use a commercial algae killer. When the algae dies, it's cell structures break down and release massive doses of allelochemicals into the water all at once. Any sensitive fish, snails, or plants may die with it.

The interactions of this chemical warfare have not been researched much yet. There are just too many species and too many variables. You tend to have a whole zoo of algae in a tank, for instance, so it's hard to narrow down what is affecting what. So you can't necessarily look at your tank and say, "gosh, if I plant crypts, and have some Anabaena algae, I'm not going to be able to keep mystery snails!"

In short, it's possible some species of algae in your tank is protecting itself from your snail by poisoning the water with something that is affecting your snail, but nothing else.

In a big ole' lake, the snail would stay on the other side of the pond. In the small closed space of an aquarium, the chemicals build up to much higher proportions, and the snail has nowhere to go.

It's also possible there's a cycling issue, temperature, disease, something ate your snail...

Wow! You read all that! Go you! You may want to read Walstad's book! As I said: dense.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
Too many words! no i actually read all that and it's very interesting. those two babies that just showed up seemingly of their own volition are still alive however. could they have adapted to these chemicals because they are so young?

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Hey guys. Sorry to hijack but I have a really quick question about snails. If you want me to move this to a new thread let me know and I'm sorry for interrupting.

Anyway, I just got a mystery snail in my new 10g and he's been just sitting on the bottom for about an hour not moving. Is this normal or should I be worried?

Oct 29, 2010
Pate, that was interesting! For a minute I thought you said "allopathy" as in "allopathic medicine" and was revving up for a rant. But wow, I've never thought allelopathy in regards to a tank environment! I'll have to get that book.

Denther: sometimes snails do that. Whether he's okay or not, there's not much you can do at this point :(

He's very likely just adjusting. Sometimes he might chill and be inactive for days. If you want to check later, you can take him out of the tank, and if his "door" is tightly sealed he's still alive and keeping it shut with his muscles :)

Nov 5, 2009
CT
Hey guys. Sorry to hijack but I have a really quick question about snails. If you want me to move this to a new thread let me know and I'm sorry for interrupting.

Anyway, I just got a mystery snail in my new 10g and he's been just sitting on the bottom for about an hour not moving. Is this normal or should I be worried?
not a problem at all! it can take awhile for them to get adjusted to their new surrounding. if he's still in the same place after a day or so then it could be a problem

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
My tetras are over there investigating him so maybe he's scared of them? Haha I don't know. He's right next to glass and hasn't latched on to it. I can see his antennae so he's not closed up. Just kinda sitting there...I'll see what he's like in the morning. Thanks guys!!

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
Frankenfish, I don't know enough about it to tell you. I don't know if it's like ph and temperature and it's something that a snail could get used to as long as they were exposed to it gradually. Like building up a tolerance to poison in The Princess Bride or The Count of Monte Cristo. I would suspect, however, that if that were the case, it wouldn't be a very effective defense.

Side note, can you actually build up a tolerance to a poison slowly? Does the liver work that way? I know that when I'm on a coffee binge, it takes much more coffee to have an effect on me than when I've been cutting back for a while. Sigh. Caffeine... sweet nectar... :)

Nov 5, 2009
CT
Side note, can you actually build up a tolerance to a poison slowly? Does the liver work that way? I know that when I'm on a coffee binge, it takes much more coffee to have an effect on me than when I've been cutting back for a while. Sigh. Caffeine... sweet nectar... :)
i dont know but i've had similar experiences with other...um.....chemicals. hahaha