Stocking 5g for Friend

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
My friend recently came to my house and saw my aquarium. He then decided he wanted one. He says he wants a 5 gallon with a swordtail, a guppy, and a peppered Cory. I'm thinking that's not enough room but am new to this so any advice would be great. Thanks guys!!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
You could do a trio of male guppies and a few cherry shrimp! My newbie friend has something like this in a 10gal and she loooves it :)

I'd reccomend at least 15 gallons for swordtails, and 10 for a few cories.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Now he's thinking he wants 3 guppies and 2 ghost shrimp. Would this be possible? Also, would he have to worry about breeding? Thanks!

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
tell your friend to get the biggest tank he can aford, or the biggest tank he can fit in his house!
most people tend to buy a small tank thinking that itll "just do" but once you have it...its too small and they end up with multiple tank syndrome!
plus...the cost for a 5g is pretty close to the cost of a 10g imo.
on top of that, bigger tanks are easier to take care of. more water means more room for things to go wrong (not that it will, but just saying.)
i have a 3g right now that my friend gave to me (just the tank) and i bought everything else. pretty pricey for such a small tank...but my heater and filter are good enough for a 20g tank (hence the price similarities). im upgrading...not big enough.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
i agree having first hand experience with a 5 gallon overstocked tank. try and convince to get a 10 gallon. not all that much more expensive and it really opens up a lot more possibilities with what you can do with it.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Yeah. He would get bigger but price is the main problem. All he can afford now is a 5 gallon. I'll see if he can maybe get a used one. We'll see. Thanks everyone!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Used aquarium kits run around half price of the original thing. If the people just want to get rid of it, then you might get it for 1/3 or 1/4 of the original price. Craigslist is a good place to look. Happy aquarium hunting!! And yes, it's 10:30 pm where I'm at right now and I'm still up. I can't go to sleep. To many Goldfish thoughts. I want a Red and White Ryukin sooo bad!!!!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Are you kidding me!? With all I know about fish now, I still can't resist the urge to buy fish whenever I go in a pet store. if it's healthy, will get along in my tank, and if it's in my price range then I'm gettin the dang fish!!

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
He surprised me today and came home with a 10 gallon kit. So I guess he has a 10 gallon.

Would 4 Male Guppies, a mystery snail, and 5 peppered cory's be okay in there?

Thanks!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
You should get some Pygmy Cories. They only get to about an inch, they are adorable, fun to watch, and they are cheap. My lfs has them for $2 each. You could get 4. Only $8 right there. Pretty cheap, huh??