First tank

May 8, 2011
Hi I am about to by my first proper fish tank it is 40 gls and I need help choosing the right decorations for it and the right fish it comes with the stand heater filter and every thing so all I need to know is what to decorate I with and what are some good starter fish but the only fish I really want to have is a pretty but small pleco . Hope you can help :)

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
if its your first tank, i would suggest white clouds or zebra dianos. theyre hardy fish. decorations are really up to you, but i would stay away from a sand substrate...its alot more work. Having live plants in your tank does help with the ecosystem, but are not required; However, you do want to provide some places for your fish to hide. Whatever you decide on, make sure that theyre able to survive together, and that you get enough, or as little of them, as their species needs. For example, schooling fish will need 6+ in order to feel comfortable. If your looking for something a little more colourful, platies or guppies are nice as well for a starter tank

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Have you cycled the tank? If not, there are two links in my thread you should read through. If you have, some good fish in my opinion are neon tetras. Colorful, peaceful and relatively hardy.

Most fish don't really care about decorations. Personally I like natural looking substrates and I have live plants so I use eco-complete. Like Tooj said make sure to have some hiding places. Although if you are interested in a pleco, depending on the pleco, you may need to have a piece of driftwood (they like to nibble on it).

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Would first look at what water is like from your faucet with respect to ph which will give you an idea as to what fishes may or may not do well with the water you have readily available and will be using for water changes.
Not all fish enjoy same water chemistry.
Perhaps fish store would test the water for you if you were to bring them a sample or better yet,,purchase your own test kit which will help you during the cycling process so that no fishes are harmed during this process,

May 9, 2011
There are lots of great starter fish that are still colorful like goldfish (not fancy), guppies, mollies, corydoras catfish, etc.
40 gal is pretty big so you should be able to fit pretty much anything in there (excluding the super big, super expensive fish) that you see in a pet store such as petco
A pleco is a very good idea because you dont have to bother with scrubbing algae. Some plecos are very expensive but common plecos are super cheap (<$5.00) in most stores.
Some fish to steer clear of are "shark" catfish and redtail catfish because they are sometimes seen in pet stores, yet they grow VERY big (>4 feet!)
Good Luck

Last edited:

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I wouldn't recommend goldfish for any beginner. One, because most of the goldfish types get big and require 30 gallons or more for just one. Second, they are huge waste producers. I'm not a huge fan of goldfish although if that's your cup of tea then go for it!!

Most fish in the trade today easily adapt to PH as long as it is constant and not at one extreme or the other. In terms of water chemistry I think that PH is of less importance than say to ammonia, nitrate or nitrites.

Feb 27, 2009
A pleco is a very good idea because you dont have to bother with scrubbing algae. Some plecos are very expensive but common plecos are super cheap (<$5.00) in most stores.
I disagree with this advice. From my experience, common plecos do not each much algae as they get larger, and they will outgrow a 40 gallon tank easily. Given proper care, they can reach more than 2ft long.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
I wouldn't recommend goldfish for any beginner. One, because most of the goldfish types get big and require 30 gallons or more for just one. Second, they are huge waste producers. I'm not a huge fan of goldfish although if that's your cup of tea then go for it!!

Most fish in the trade today easily adapt to PH as long as it is constant and not at one extreme or the other. In terms of water chemistry I think that PH is of less importance than say to ammonia, nitrate or nitrites.

Well,,, My thinking has been that while pH is but a number,, It is as mentioned... a fairly Good idea of what fishes may be best able to adapt to the water I have readily available from my tap.
I would not mix fish that enjoy hard , alkaline, water such as livebearer's with fishes such as tetra's who for the most part enjoy/thrive,in more acidic Softer water.
I agree, ammonia and nitrites are of primary importance but would also submit that beginning with fishes that will do well in your particular water will be easier on the fish,,,and easier with respect to medicating/replacing fish.
The latter, becomes more like a job and far less enjoyable to many like myself.
Keep hardwater fishes in hard water,, and soft water fish in softer water and way less problems with healthy fishes IMHO.