Corycats and aquarium salt (for buffering)

fishy_foo

Small Fish
May 2, 2011
Hi,
I use aquarium salt to keep the pH in the neutral range since the tap water is around 8.3
I want to get 3 albino cory-cats for my 20 gallon tank. However, I read that cory-cats are sensitive to salt. Do they mean sodium chloride (table salt)? So I guess the pH buffering salt buffering salt will be safe?

Thanks,
Ami

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I had hoped someone else would respond to this. The forum is not working correctly for some reason. My understanding is any fish with out scales does not tolerate salt of any kind. Table salt is not used in aquariums because it usually has additives like anti clumping stuff, etc. The usual advice I read here is not to mess with the pH. Mostly the fish will adapt although there are some fish that you won't want to take a chance with, but they are usually the more expensive ones. My pH is about the same as yours and I have platies, mollies, bettas, otos, tetras, neons, and angels.

Feb 27, 2009
I use aquarium salt to keep the pH in the neutral range since the tap water is around 8.3
There is no need to use aquarium salt unless you are trying to treat an illness/injury in some fish, or to aid in reducing the symptoms of nitrite poisoning. There are better ways to help with nitrites though. It would take a lot of salt to change your pH from 8.3 down to 7 (not sure what 'neutral range' is. 7 is neutral). Fish that are scaleless cannot prevent the salt in water from drawing fluids out of their bodies. Adding salt will usually dehydrate them.

Your tap water will not be harmful to cories. If you are buying them locally, they are likely being kept in the same type of pH at the store. Sudden changes in pH are what is harmful for most fish.

Most tap water is going to be basic (over 7 pH) due to the fact that acidic water (pH under 7) will destroy water pipes over time. Once tapwater is dechlorinated, its pH will usually lower quite a bit over time. Also, aged tank water will lower naturally.