Goldfish keep dying!!!!

Jun 1, 2011
Hello All,

I have a 20 Gal. Long tank and a 30 Gal. filter (more filter for more waste). Both are made by Aqueon (tank and filter). I had 2 comet goldfish for about 7 months. Then at the same time they both died. Took water to LFS and had tested. LFS said water seems fine ammonia was just a touch high (nothing to worry about but said to get some Prime because the water treatment I was using does not get rid of ammonia.

Ok went home treated water in tank let sit overnight got 2 more fish 1 black moor and 1 fantail goldfish. Well 6 day later black moor dead and stuck to water filter intake. But so far the fantail is still alive. What might be causing this? I would not think the size of the tank would kill them that fast.

I know they need a lot of room but I admit it I was one of those before I really got into fish keeping that won 5 goldfish from the fair and put them all in a 5 Gal. tank with filter. I had 2 survive for 4 years in that tank (I know NOW that that was not the right way to keep them I was young back then.)

So tank is 3 feet from window that always has the blinds closed and I have put a barrier in between the window and tank so it does not get direct sunlight. Temp does fluctuate but seems to sit at 74-75 ish. I change 5 Gal. I also have a lid and light from Aqueon. (so nothing can just fall into the tank.

Sorry for the long post but I know the more info you have the better to try and help. Thank You All for your help. And if I missed anything please ask.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Welcome, welcome! Great to have new members.*crazysmil
I have a 20 Gal. Long tank and a 30 Gal. filter (more filter for more waste). Both are made by Aqueon (tank and filter). I had 2 comet goldfish for about 7 months. Then at the same time they both died. Took water to LFS and had tested. LFS said water seems fine ammonia was just a touch high (nothing to worry about but said to get some Prime because the water treatment I was using does not get rid of ammonia.
ok, a 20 gallon with a 30g filter is a great home for a single fancy goldy (anything other variety than comets or shubunkins. They need at least 30 gallons each). The rule is 20 gallons for the first fancy goldfish and 10 for the next after.. Even if the ammonia is "a tad high", it says to me your tank isn't cycled. What is cycling?: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle , if it isn't, then the ammonia may be in your tap water, which prime will help. You should get the exact readings from the store or, better yet, buy your very own kit! They come in very handy.

Ok went home treated water in tank let sit overnight got 2 more fish 1 black moor and 1 fantail goldfish. Well 6 day later black moor dead and stuck to water filter intake. But so far the fantail is still alive. What might be causing this? I would not think the size of the tank would kill them that fast.
hmm. As I said, is your tank cycled? 2 small goldfish can live temporarily in a 20 gallon, but fullgrowns should go by the guidelines I said above. (20 for the first, +10 for the second, +10 more for the 3rd, etc.) But, if your tank wasn't cycled, new fish could have caused an even bigger ammonia spike, or, your moor might have been sick from the store. What store did you get it from?

I know they need a lot of room but I admit it I was one of those before I really got into fish keeping that won 5 goldfish from the fair and put them all in a 5 Gal. tank with filter. I had 2 survive for 4 years in that tank (I know NOW that that was not the right way to keep them I was young back then.)
Ah, the classic tale of getting into fishkeeping. Many of us have a similar story. But like you said, it doesn't mean it's fair to the fish. Comets -the kind usually won at fairs- , get huge and a super messy so need at least 30 gallons each plus filter to be kept happy and healthy. Otherwise ammonia and nitrites will build up, causing bad water quality. Bad water quality means sickness, or even death. Growth hormones can also build up and stunt the growth. Stunting is where their bodies stop growing unaturally and their organs can keep growing. Bleck. This also happens if there isn't enough room in the tank.
So tank is 3 feet from window that always has the blinds closed and I have put a barrier in between the window and tank so it does not get direct sunlight. Temp does fluctuate but seems to sit at 74-75 ish. I change 5 Gal. I also have a lid and light from Aqueon. (so nothing can just fall into the tank.
You should get a heater but keep it at 68-72F to stop it from fluctutating.

Hope I helped a bit! Sorry if you already knew some of the things I said *laughingc

Sorry for the long post but I know the more info you have the better to try and help. Thank You All for your help. And if I missed anything please ask.[/QUOTE]

Jun 1, 2011
Ok good info and I do not mind hearing things over again it is always good to get a refresher on things. I know how it can be......you are used to doing things over and over again then all of a sudden something goes wrong because you forget things that are simple. So thank you for the info.

But if I already have a fish still alive in my tank should I cycle it? I have see I think on this site not to cycle a fish tank with fish in it. Do I just let it ride or try and cycle any way?

Oh and I use Petco for almost every thing.

Thank You All!!!!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I would try to cycle the tank, but be sure to test water everyday and do lots of water changes- like 10% a day.

I'm gonna guess your moor was probably sick because your fantail is still alive. Plus petco and most other chains are notorious for selling sick fish and giving bad advice.