Newbie: gravel versus sand

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Stress will cause live bearers to drop – but only if it was pretty close anyway

Mortality rates aren't that great – natures way of weeding out the weak i'm afraid – one of the things we have to get used to with tank fish ….... but don't worry – give it a month and guess what'll happen (all over again) - lol

Peach

Small Fish
Jul 6, 2011
It's ran close to 8 since April (7.7 ish), according to husband. The only trouble we have had to date is our first batch of danios died 3 days after cycling the brand new tank, and both our Dalmatian mollies died on separate occasions. The pet store said they would school with our other fish, but the Dalmatians never did. They eventually died off after about 2 weeks. So we just never got any more. The Dalmatians were sold single and one at a time to us. Not sure what we did wrong or if they couldn't handle our tank.

also before selecting fish, we were told to bring a water sample from our tank, and the pet store would select the species of fish for us. Either we really looked dumb and new, or it's very complicated to select school fish that can live in our particular Ph water. I have no idea. But these three species have done well and appear quite hardy. They even had babies.

I can't tell what this fry is, its see-through like the ghost shrimp, but has a black fin. Have no idea where it came from, considering we netted all our fish by hand, and took out all of the gravel. It's maybe half a centimeter small? quite a shock to see him and wondering where he came from, all the plants have been out of the water for 24 hours LOL.

As soon as the new video uploads on YouTube I'll post it here. The sand is very sharp looking!

Peach

Small Fish
Jul 6, 2011
Ok We are waiting the one hour as you suggested before adding the fish, and did the 50% water change. I'll check back in an hour.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
If your fish were used to 7.7 before - they'll do fine now – if the tank is to within half a point of that 7.7 then chuck the fish in

As for your fish store – well – I know you're kinda stuck for choice there, but I can't say I'm impressed …... not a lot you can do unfortunately other than to know more than they do.

Best thing to do with fish types is accept what you can keep – and don't fight it.

When you consider that my tap water tests at 35 ppm Nitrates, you'll see what I mean.

Anyway – good luck with your tank …...

Peach

Small Fish
Jul 6, 2011
Thanks so much guys for all your help! I guess stress breeds frys because we have 4 more in the bucket! I guess they won't live long, they are so tiny!

Here's the video. Everyone's doing fine so far. The snails are too cool!

YouTube - ‪After Substrate Change‬‏ (I don't care for my husband's selection of music, feel free to mute!)

YouTube - ‪Fish Rock: A Close Up‬‏ (close up of "fish rock" where you can see the frys really good.)

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I run on well water and add no chemicals of any kind ever. My pH is somewhere over 8.3 with no problems with the same type fish plus otos, bettas, angels, tetras and neons. I have 6 tanks of various size and it has been well over a year. Most people on this forum do not recommend chasing pH. You should be testing the water in the tank, not necessarily what you put in. You take water out of the tank weekly - like 25% -30% and replace it with new water and if its well water you shouldn't have to do anything to it. It usually takes weeks to cycle a tank and this is done by the ammonia the fish give off which causes bad bacteria to grow and eventually good bacteria come along to eat the bad bacteria. Therefore perfect readings don't mean anything unless you say the numbers: ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0 Nitrates - at least 10 - maybe 30. If any get higher, you bale more water and replace. I have lost several mollies after giving birth - there is a theory floating around that stress might be the cause of some livebearers dying shortly after birth.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
I can see that the fish are as happy as larry in there - so well done to all

(as for hubbies taste in music -I refrain from comment - but, fortunately he seems to know what he's doing with a fish tank)

Peach

Small Fish
Jul 6, 2011
I have a pregnant Zebra Danio about to burst! We've been trying to capture her for the breeder tank just so we can watch her give birth-she's too fast!

May 4, 2011
Ohio
Easy way to catch a strong fish is to put the net behind them where they can not see it, them move it underneath them and move it straight upward and they probably won't see it coming. I have a really strong female guppy and this is the only way I can catch her.

Peach

Small Fish
Jul 6, 2011
We gave up after numerous attempts. It appears the breeder tank would prove useless since the eggs would fall through the holes and be gobbled up. I do like the idea of two nets though!

Feb 27, 2009
I have a pregnant Zebra Danio about to burst! We've been trying to capture her for the breeder tank just so we can watch her give birth-she's too fast!
Danios do not get pregnant. They are an egg layer. If the female is gravid (carrying eggs), when she lays them, a male must be there to fertilize them. Putting just the female in a breeder tank will only result in her laying unfertilized eggs or her absorbing the eggs and never laying them.