Hyperactive!

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
SO, earlier today I picked up 2 emerald green cory catfish from Petco, and I saw that the petco guy transfered the cories from the bucket to the plastic bag by dumping in all the water first then, just dropping the cories into the bag carelessly. When I got home, I transferred my cories to the 10 gallon, and after about 3 hours, I noticed that 1 cory was really hyperactive and never stops swimming. The other cory is pretty active, but not as active as the other cory. I put stress coat in RIGHT when I introduced them to the tank. Also, the hyperactive cory was really calm when I first put him in. Any ideas? Is this bad? Thx,

Feb 27, 2009
Turn off the lights and don't feed the fish until tomorrow would be my advice.

In the future, its always a good idea to drip acclimate fish to avoid sudden changes to the water parameters.

May 4, 2011
Ohio
I just added another 2 cory cats to my tank, my original 2 are very active. They constantly swim back and forth along the glass and skim the top making waves through the tank, I thought this was due to a few things, finding hiding spots in the rocks along my aquarium backing as they skim along the reflection, exploring boundaries because of the albinos poor eyesight, or seeking other cories (the reflection) to school. When I added the 2 new corys they kind of laze about together, they joined my other 2 in a few hours and they group up sometimes but don't particularly swim in school yet. My original 2 cories? If they are not feeding along the bottom most of the time they are zipping along my glass still, they eat fine and have been there for over 6 weeks seemingly healthy.

They did seem to calm down when I added an anacharis forest for hiding instead of the one lonely cave, when they hit the glass still they run back and forth over and over for a while though.

I am no expert on cories but it seems normal to me, they like to play, they like other cories and they like to feel safe in their hiding spots so this frantic behavior could be a combination of any of these?

Do you use salt in your aquarium at all? If you do I would stop, they are sensitive to salt and a fish swimming in a pattern toward the filter over and over means it is trying to head upstream away from the salt, and vice versa.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
I just added another 2 cory cats to my tank, my original 2 are very active. They constantly swim back and forth along the glass and skim the top making waves through the tank, I thought this was due to a few things, finding hiding spots in the rocks along my aquarium backing as they skim along the reflection, exploring boundaries because of the albinos poor eyesight, or seeking other cories (the reflection) to school. When I added the 2 new corys they kind of laze about together, they joined my other 2 in a few hours and they group up sometimes but don't particularly swim in school yet. My original 2 cories? If they are not feeding along the bottom most of the time they are zipping along my glass still, they eat fine and have been there for over 6 weeks seemingly healthy.

They did seem to calm down when I added an anacharis forest for hiding instead of the one lonely cave, when they hit the glass still they run back and forth over and over for a while though.

I am no expert on cories but it seems normal to me, they like to play, they like other cories and they like to feel safe in their hiding spots so this frantic behavior could be a combination of any of these?

Do you use salt in your aquarium at all? If you do I would stop, they are sensitive to salt and a fish swimming in a pattern toward the filter over and over means it is trying to head upstream away from the salt, and vice versa.
I DID put salt in ONCE, but I was skeptical about the cories and the salt, so I only put in about 1/10th of the recommended amount. However, I don't think that's the problem, because ONE cory is calm, and ANOTHER is restless. If that was the case, then all three of my catfish would be hyperactive.

Feb 27, 2009
Well, I'm not sure about ammonia, since I have a cheap ammonia reader, but my nitrates and nitrites are both 0. Thankfully, my emeralds are still alive. YAY!
What are you using to test your water? If you do not have a liquid test kit, I'd get your water tested at an aquarium store that uses a liquid test kit.

You should be showing some nitrates if your tank is cycled. If it isn't cycled, you could be at the beginning of the cycle and experiencing ammonia poisoning. How long has the aquarium been set up? How much water do you change out and how often?

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
What are you using to test your water? If you do not have a liquid test kit, I'd get your water tested at an aquarium store that uses a liquid test kit.

You should be showing some nitrates if your tank is cycled. If it isn't cycled, you could be at the beginning of the cycle and experiencing ammonia poisoning. How long has the aquarium been set up? How much water do you change out and how often?
The aquarium has been set up for about 4 months, but there were some problems along the way, so really, it's been running for only about a month. See, my fish were in SO much ammonia because of an irresponsible petsitter while I was on vacation, and I only had THAT 10 gallon plus a 3 gallon, so I had to TAKE ALL THE FISH OUT, put them in a 3 gallon, rinse out the 10 gallon COMPLETELY, condition the new water, and then put the old fish back in. >_> So I had to do a fish-in cycle.

And it would be no point trying to get a water test because petsmart uses test strips and petco doesn't even do tests.

Feb 27, 2009
I'd assume then, if you cannot test for ammonia, that you have high ammonia and do 50% daily water changes until the tank has cycled. Make sure to only rinse the filter media in used tank water, never tap water.

With no nitrates showing, it seems the biofilter has not been established. Can you get an Ammonia Alert disk at a PetSmart? If you use a dechlor that binds ammonia (like Prime), you'd be able to tell if the free ammonia level is high and can do water changes as needed.

I see in your signature that you say to feed fish 2-4 times a day. That is not necessary and will likely lead to high ammonia, especially with a small tank and the amount you have stocked in it. Until you can test for ammonia (liquid test kit or Ammonia Alert disk), I'd only feed once every other day.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2011
underwater
actually, I DO have an ammonia alert, but because of that ammonia attack, the color changed to dark blue, then I switched to treated water, and now the ammonia alert disk is a weird pinkish color...don't know what it means. :cool:

Feb 27, 2009
The center disk should go dark if its exhausted. I've never seen one turn pink. Might want to contact Seachem or just replace it.

They say they last a year or so. My original one (installed February 2010) is still giving accurate readings (as confirmed by liquid test kit).