red zebra and yellow lab rivalry

pauldhass

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2011
Alaska
I have a 20H with a red zebra and a yellow lab that I just bought. I've had the red zebra in the tank for about 4-5 months and just put in the yellow lab yesterday (July 24th). My red zebra has been doing great so I thought about getting him/her (not really sure the gender) a tankmate. However, the only issue I seem to be having is while the yellow lab is adjusting to my tank, my red zebra just won't seem to leave it alone. Do I need to give them more time to get acclimated to each other?

Also, my yellow lab seems to be struggling a bit. It seems to just want to hang around the top of the tank. I just did a 25% water change before I bought the yellow lab, so I'm pretty sure that the nitrate levels are low and my ammonia and nitrite levels are non-existent. Little advice?

Feb 27, 2009
Also, my yellow lab seems to be struggling a bit. It seems to just want to hang around the top of the tank. I just did a 25% water change before I bought the yellow lab, so I'm pretty sure that the nitrate levels are low and my ammonia and nitrite levels are non-existent. Little advice?
I would test your water to be certain of your levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, otherwise, how can you be sure?

Is this a temporary home for the cichlids? 20 gallons may not be enough room for one let alone two.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Red Zebra wins... They are pretty mean, Yellow labs are the wimpy kids on the African Cichlid playground...

20g is big enough for 2 africans with out an issue. I mean you can't cram the tank full of fish like most people who keep mumba tend to want to do but a 20g is plenty for 2. The zebra will likely kill the lab in short order. One of the reasons to keep African cichlids in groups is that by housing more fish the aggression gets spread out, one peck on 20 fish is easier than 20 pecks on 1 fish. I would say you need to house at least 5 fish and I would avoid labs...

I would do maybe all zebras in different colors, red, blue, ob, blueberry, pearl (white) etc. Your fish will have a much easier go of it.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
your lab is going to get killed by the zebra... thats like hoping that a chiuauah is going to duke it out with a pitbull.... pitbull wins... every time...

Get the lab outta there. He won't make it... He will end up road kill.

Zebra cichlids come in a variety of colors, I would suggest trying to find other zebras to stock with your mean fish, i would also suggest adding new fish in a dark tank after rearranging the layout of the tank to minimize aggression and reestablish territory.

pauldhass

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2011
Alaska
Well, harmony was established...the zebra killed him. I didn't get the last message until after the fact. I'm gonna try with 2 more zebras and see if I can get a decent stock in my tank.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
so quick stocking tip on the Zebras... When you go to add them in do it in the evening'ish if you can. First rearrange the tank completely adding new hidey holes removing the old ones etc. Then drop your new fish. Then turn out the lights and leave the tank alone until morning. It will give your new fish the best chance. I don't know how mature your zebra is but try to buy the new ones in about the same size or even slightly larger if you can.

pauldhass

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2011
Alaska
so quick stocking tip on the Zebras... When you go to add them in do it in the evening'ish if you can. First rearrange the tank completely adding new hidey holes removing the old ones etc. Then drop your new fish. Then turn out the lights and leave the tank alone until morning. It will give your new fish the best chance. I don't know how mature your zebra is but try to buy the new ones in about the same size or even slightly larger if you can.
Sounds good. Thanks!