Bettas and platys?

Firsa

New Fish
Aug 2, 2011
I have a female betta in a 10 gallon tank, and wanted to add more fish to it. I added a catfish and it seemed to get along well with the betta, so I added two sunburst platys. They started out fine, but within 2 weeks the betta had killed one and the other had torn fins. I read that they are good tankmates, but is there a certain way to introduce them to each other?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
How long was the betta in the tank before adding the platys? Bettas can be very territorial - even the females. Personally, I have not had any problem with any of mine, but it is a larger tank with many more fish. You may have a betta that will not tolerate tanks mates - at least in that size tank.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
I have a female betta in a 10 gallon tank, and wanted to add more fish to it. I added a catfish and it seemed to get along well with the betta, so I added two sunburst platys. They started out fine, but within 2 weeks the betta had killed one and the other had torn fins. I read that they are good tankmates, but is there a certain way to introduce them to each other?
The first thing you should do is SEPARATE THEM IMMEDIATELY. First of all, I think the female betta is mistaking the platies for 2 more females, and is establishing a pecking order. Also, I have only heard on the internet about MALE bettas being compatible with platies. Maybe you could A) Keep the Betta and the Platies separate, B) Give away either the Betta or the Platies, or C) Keep the Betta in a separate container for about a week, get about 2-4 more platies, and then put the Betta back in. The Betta might have attacked the Platies because she wanted to defend her territory. If the Platies are there FIRST, then the Betta might back off. *twirlysmi

Firsa

New Fish
Aug 2, 2011
I originally had 2 female bettas for almost a year, but one died of swim bladder disorder. They didn't seem to fight, but would sometimes nip at each others fins.

Firsa

New Fish
Aug 2, 2011
The first thing you should do is SEPARATE THEM IMMEDIATELY. First of all, I think the female betta is mistaking the platies for 2 more females, and is establishing a pecking order. Also, I have only heard on the internet about MALE bettas being compatible with platies. Maybe you could A) Keep the Betta and the Platies separate, B) Give away either the Betta or the Platies, or C) Keep the Betta in a separate container for about a week, get about 2-4 more platies, and then put the Betta back in. The Betta might have attacked the Platies because she wanted to defend her territory. If the Platies are there FIRST, then the Betta might back off. *twirlysmi
I moved the platy to my other tank for now, I will probably try removing the betta and adding more platys.