Young Fish dying

Aug 14, 2011
Okay so i have young fish that where born in November, 5 red wag platty. and one Black molly. Two of the red wag platties died, one yesterday one today, and i dont know why. They did look sick and i clean my tank every weak. I dont have any medicine, this is my first aquarium. But i can say that the two that did die did seem bigger and their stomachs seemed larger then the rest. and the tanks temperature is 25{c}, its in the 'green zone' in my thermometer = good.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
In order for anyone to help we would need to know a lot more more - the size of the tank and has the tank cycled? What are your numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? When you say you clean your tank, what is it you do? Does it have a filter and a heater? What type water are you using - chlorinated or well water? Is it possible your fish were pregnant? And what is your feeding schedule? All these things are important to know. I am sure some others on the forum will chime in with ideas.

Aug 14, 2011
the tank is 10 gallons. And no they are not pregnant i had two fish pregnant before {there mom} and another one. Yes i have a thermometer like i said before it was 25 degrees {c} and i do have a filter. I dont know what you mean by a cycle, and i don't have a test kit, and i dont think my parents would let me get one, even though im 17. I feed them twice a day, one small pinch with my fore finger and thumb. I have done research and im pretty sure they had DROPSY. Specially when you looked her from the top, her sides stuck out {one of the ones that died}. Thanks ^^

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
If your fish had dropsy, it is usually because of poor water quality. If you can't buy your own test kit (which you really should have! - for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate - try to get one!) can you take your water to your fish store and have them test it? Ask them to write down the exact readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Also, Thyra asked about your water change schedule - that would be helpful to know. You may need to step up on water changes.

Aug 14, 2011
I thought i mentioned it, but i change it once a week. like the people in pets mart and the closest aquarium place said {cant remember what its called}. They said if i change it more then once a week i can kill the good bacteria. I change about 40% of the water per week, maybe a bit more. And ill try to buy one soon, plus some medication in case the other fish get it too.

Thank you.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I agree, your tank should be cycled after that long, unless you are doing too thorough of a job of cleaning - you should not be cleaning your filter every week. Your temp is okay although I keep mine slightly warmer, but do you have a heater so you can control it? Is your water chlorinated and if it is are you treating it? Do you have any live plants?

Feb 27, 2009
They said if i change it more then once a week i can kill the good bacteria.
There is no harm in changing a larger amount or more often, as long as you are matching the temperature of the new water to the old water. Most of your beneficial bacteria resides in your filter, not the water column, so no worry about killing your good bacteria with water changes.

What type of filter are you using. Are you changing the filter media (as the filter instructions will tell you) or are you rinsing the filter media in old tank water and reusing it?

Aug 14, 2011
Im using a top Fin 10 gallon filter like the people told me to do. And i change like the instructions tell you too. And i would say in the last 8 months i changed it 5-6 times Also i noticed my black molly seems to have fin rot on his top fin, its turning brown right at the top. As soon as my dad can im gonna go to the aquarium store and see what they recommend for both problems.

Feb 27, 2009
And i change like the instructions tell you too. And i would say in the last 8 months i changed it 5-6 times
Do not change the filter media as the filter's instructions tell you to do. This removes most of your beneficial bacteria. Just rinse the fitlter media in old tank water if it needs it. You can use the same filter media for years. It should only need to be replaced when its literally falling apart. If that should start to happen, get a new one but put them both in the filter for a few weeks. This will help you to 'seed' the new media with the good bacteria.

Both dropsy and fin rot are sympoms of poor water quality. Have your local fish store test your water and give you actual numbers for AMMONIA, NITRITE, and NITRATE. Don't let them tell you the water is 'fine,' make them give you actual numbers.

Good luck with your fish!

Aug 14, 2011
Thank you. I ill be going to either pets mart or Big Al's aquarium services tomorrow or as soon as my dad will take me. Hopefully everything ill be fine after the test and we can get some medication etc!

Thanks again.

Aug 14, 2011
so i went to petsmart yesterday and they tested my water and talked to me. So this was their conclusion.

1) When i change my water i take out to much, they say i should only take 20-30%
2)They say i should be changing the thing in my filter more, like once a month
3) He gave me a 'good bacteria' bottle to add to my aquarium and to use when i clean it.

Feb 27, 2009
so i went to petsmart yesterday and they tested my water and talked to me. So this was their conclusion.

1) When i change my water i take out to much, they say i should only take 20-30%
2)They say i should be changing the thing in my filter more, like once a month
3) He gave me a 'good bacteria' bottle to add to my aquarium and to use when i clean it.
I respectfully disagree with the advice being given to you by the store employees.

1) There is NO harm in taking out water constantly if you want to, as long as you are matching the temperature of the old and new water. The benefical bacteria does NOT reside in your water, it resides on the hard surfaces of the tank (tank walls, decor, gravel, plants, etc), plus the fliter media. If your readings of ammonia or nitrite are anything but zero, and nitrate is over 20, you need to change the water. If that means 75% every day, that's what it will take to keep your fish healthy.

2) If you choose to take the advice of the pet store employee to change the filter's pad every month, you will most likely throw your tank into a new cycle every month. A good portion of the beneficial bacteria resides in the filter's pad. If it is too 'dirty' and restricting the flow of water, just swish it out in the water you are removing during the water change.

3) The 'bacteria in a bottle' may or may not work to help establish the cycle in your tank. I personally have never used it so cannot say. There should be no reason to use anything at every water change except a dechlorinator if your water source uses chlorine.

You said the pet store tested your water. What are the readings of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Only by monitoring those reading will you know if your tank has completed the nitrogen cycle.

Personally, I think the sales people just want to sell filter pads and bacteria bottles.

Just my 2cents.
OC

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You said they tested your water again, but you still haven't given us the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and that sure would be helpful. I try not to ask the people at the stores for advise, although if I do, I always ask if they have a tank of their own and do a little chit chat about that to see if I can get a clue as to their experience.

Aug 14, 2011
They did not give me exact numbers. Though they said the PH was a little high but everything else was perfect. Though i must add that using the 'bacteria in a bottle' did seem to make my fish a little 'happier' then they where.

Feb 27, 2009
They did not give me exact numbers. Though they said the PH was a little high but everything else was perfect. Though i must add that using the 'bacteria in a bottle' did seem to make my fish a little 'happier' then they where.
You need to know the exact numbers to make sure you cycle is complete.

The pH being 'a little high' means almost nothing. Fish can live in a wide range of pH levels. 'A little high' to one person could be 'a little low' to someone else. Insist on exact numbers. Better still, get your own liquid test kit.

Aug 14, 2011
Okay so i took some picks. Its been a few days since i went to petsmart and my fish seem to be getting worst. Sorry i didn't get exact numbers but its to late for that now. So this is what they look like. The one on her side seems to be getting worst everyday and getting thinner, the others just look puffier everyone, specially the one that by her self.

293361_102493743188505_100002836389974_9667_8029549_n.jpg 302393_102493623188517_100002836389974_9666_2253988_n.jpg 305767_102493306521882_100002836389974_9663_3886625_n.jpg 305795_102493419855204_100002836389974_9665_5593882_n.jpg 309561_102493916521821_100002836389974_9668_6148897_n.jpg

Thanks for any help. But i dont think my dad will buy anything like medicine unless a 'professional' tell him too.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
A water test kit is not considered medication. The white spots on your fish look like ich. It is there any substrate (gravel) and plants or other decor in your tank. It seems to me your water quality is your biggest problem, particularly ammonia and nitrite, if only we knew the exact readings so we could rule that out. Like OC stated pH is not very important as the fish will acclimate. Sudden changes are not good as well as sudden changes in temp. Are you fish in a round container or are those concentric circles just from the camera reflection or flash?