3 Gallon Stocking Ideas?

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Hey guys,
Recently I found an old 3 gallon tank just lying around my house, cycled it, and stuck a betta in it. I'd like something else to put in the tank. Any suggestions? No snails please, they're icky :eek:

Also, be aware that my state doesn't have many lfs's (none in my area), so the only places I can get fish @ are Petsmart and Petco. Thx!*celebrate

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I agree that a shrimp tank (without a betta) would be the best option for your 3 gallon tank. There are some very cool shrimp on the market!
3 gallons doesn't really allow for much variety and betta's usually do best in a minimum of 5 gallons.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Everyone has different opinions on the minimum tank size for any type of fish.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend or keep a Betta in anything less than 5 gallons but that is just me.
I agree, there are many different ideas and opinions. If I was asked I always say I would not put a small fish in anything less then a 10 Gallon. Ideally you are looking to put your pet(s) in a tank that is large enough so when you do your 10 to 30% weekly water change your nitrate has not passed 20PPM before the water change.