Brand New Tank and Otos

Aug 13, 2011
www.betrsoutlets.com
I've got 3 Otos in a 10g tank (along with other animals). I am in the process of cycling a 20g tank so everyone has more room.

Should I leave the lights on the entire cycling time so that some algae will grow for the Otos and the Zebra Nerite snails, (and the RCS too I guess). If there's not algae on anything, they will be very hungry.

I've got 6 containers with rocks in water - lids off and fish food for fert' - in windows, but still no algae, so really, they are going to depend on algae in the tank, (and zucchini when I give it to them).

Thanks

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
I've got 3 Otos in a 10g tank (along with other animals). I am in the process of cycling a 20g tank so everyone has more room.

Should I leave the lights on the entire cycling time so that some algae will grow for the Otos and the Zebra Nerite snails, (and the RCS too I guess). If there's not algae on anything, they will be very hungry.

I've got 6 containers with rocks in water - lids off and fish food for fert' - in windows, but still no algae, so really, they are going to depend on algae in the tank, (and zucchini when I give it to them).

Thanks
Dude I love otos! I don't use them for algae eating though. When you feed them zucchini, always make sure they are on the ground. Otos almost never go up to surface feed (I say almost because I have never seen mine do that), so keep the zucchini weighted down. Also, use the fish net to kind of chase the otos onto the zuke, so they will take a bite. This may take 2-3 days to get them knowing that it is food, so after 2-3 days, just wait for them to go naturally. Keep the zukes in the tank for 2 days at the most so your water won't get messed up.