Fishless Cycling - Everything You Wanted to know...

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
Well guys, I have been very impatient, but maybe not. I have a 50 gallon setup and we have had it for month and still we cant add fish. at least two weeks ago I kinda started over, massive water change, and added two capfuls of ammonia hyroxide (10% solution). Im getting consistently 8ppm readings, maybe more, but it looks like 8ppm. We have not seen any difference in our ammonia levels, nitrites are still at 0. I even added a powerheard to add circulation and aeration, I raised the temp.

Its just taking so long for us. I alos test the water daily because Im curoius to see if any changes has happened, but nothing. I got so impatient i thought about getting that product Cycle, but I have strong feelings against the success o fthese products.

I guess we wil just continue to wait and wait and wait...

cuttlefish

Small Fish
Oct 4, 2011
Maine
Thank you very much, I appreciate any and all help I can get. I've always had goldfish and betas all through my growing up.. BUT, I just recently decided to purchase a 40 gallon tank and set it up with tropical fish in it. I have the tank all set up, I have ALL the
equipment that I need, however I'm still really unsure of weather or not I am doing this right. I haven't bought any fish, I want to
make sure that I have the proper environment for them, and I've read SO many different things that I am just royally confused.
The "marine biologist" that I spoke to in the local pet store INSISTED that I buy nutrifin cycle to cycle my tanks. He said that it
would only take 3 days and that after that my tank would be prime to put fish in. He said otherwise I would be buying "suicide
fish" which I flat out refused to do.. Its been 3 days and they say that I can put fish in, but I've also read other stories that
say that I should NOT do the store bought stuff to cycle my tank because it doesn't work. SO, as of now I have an empty tank
that I can't put fish in until I find out what to do... Any advice would be helpful!!

cuttlefish

Small Fish
Oct 4, 2011
Maine
Um, I don't but as I'm reading I've realized that I need to get it. The pet store never told me about any test kit.. I'm so glad I didn't
buy fish that day! I'll be getting a kit tomorrow. Once I test if I find out what the levels should be, and my levels match that,
is it okay for me to start putting fish in, or should I start ALL over without the nutrifin cycle?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I like to cycle my tank with a couple medium to large shrimp from the local market. Just toss them in and let it go. This will cause a natural cycle. Just test (buy a liquid master test kit) the water every couple days or so. First you will see ammonia, then nitrate, and finally nitrate. Once you see nitrate your first two nutrients will drop to zero-ish. Once you see nitrate add a couple/three fish, your cycle is now complete. Wait a week or so and add a 2-3 more if you like. Just be sure not to add to may at once or you can upset the balance of the bacteria and start another cycle. Also make sure you do not over stock your tank. I hope this helps you. It may be a good idea to test your water for the pH and hardness levels and pick your fish based on your water type. Fish tend to do better in their natural environment, although not a necessity, its just a good suggestion to keep your pets healthy and happy.

Edit, peel the shell off the shrimp first if this has not been done.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Many of the cycle products won't work, but some of them do help things along. What were the directions on the bottle of what you bought? Some of them work if you add it to a tank and then put fish in. Some are designed to put fish in at the same time. Without some type of "food" (ammonia) for the bacteria in the tank to consume, then it is difficult to get that cycle started.

If you have a fair amount of patience, you could go ahead and do a fishless cycle with your tank now. Add some ammonia (per the suggestions in this thread and that article), get your ammonia, nitrite & nitrate kits and see it through.

If you don't have the patience, try adding a couple of fish to your tank and follow it through as a fish-in cycle. Keeping an eye on the levels and doing water changes as necessary. It is possible to get fish through a fish-in cycle, but it might mean a lot of water changes...especially if the cycle product didn't work as planned.

The best way to get a tank cycled is to seed it from an established tank. Some squeezings from a filter pad work wonders when added to a new tank every few days.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Once I test if I find out what the levels should be, and my levels match that,
is it okay for me to start putting fish in, or should I start ALL over without the nutrifin cycle?
In a tank with no inhabitants, you likely wouldn't find any ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. So don't assume that because your tank doesn't have any, it is cycled. It is not. It is possible that the cycle will help the cycling process, but I would start with a fish in or a fishless cycle, pretending you didn't put it in there. If it helps, cool. If not, at least you're cycling.

Adding something dead to the tank is basically the same thing as artificially adding ammonia, it is something in the tank for the bacteria to consume so that they can colonize.

cuttlefish

Small Fish
Oct 4, 2011
Maine
Thank you all, you have been very helpful. The directions on the bottle were to add 25ML per 10 gallon on day one, 10ML per 10
gallon on day two and 10ML per gallon on day three (that is today for my tank) and the guy told me to add food to the tank every
day so that the bacteria would have something to eat, so I've done that also. I think I'm going to go and buy the test kit and first
find out what my levels are, THEN I will decide weather to do a fishless cycle or follow through with a fish in cycle where I try
my hardest to keep them alive. Thank you again, I'm sure that I'll be back on here with more questions!!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
The fish in process is pretty water change intensive. Its is do-able but you need to keep close tabs on the water quality and change water very frequently. Using the shrimp is very easy and it does not endanger your fish and does not involve water changes until the cycle is complete and your nitrate reaches about 20PPM. Also, most of those cycle in the bottle products are snake oil. Even when they do work most encounter a second cycle or mini-cycle when they add fish to it after the three day regimen. So use caution if going the bottle cycle route.

cuttlefish

Small Fish
Oct 4, 2011
Maine
Okay, this is all making much more sense now. I like the shrimp idea and I think I am going to go that route. I can honestly say I am getting excited again about having a tank! I have two boys here that are very excited and can't wait to see it up and running as
well. Once I get it set up properly and get fish in it I'll try to figure out how to add a photo so everyone can see! I was just reading about moss balls, and they look really cool.. Anyone have any input on weather having one will be a positive/negative for my tank? I have read that shrimp really like them.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Plants are good for the tank, they can help reduce the nitrates a little bit and provide cover for the fish. If a plant or part of it is dying be sure to remove the dead leaf or plant if its in bad condition. A dying plant can contaminate the water just as a dead fish can. Keep us posted on new info or id you have questions.

Feb 27, 2009
I was just reading about moss balls, and they look really cool.. Anyone have any input on weather having one will be a positive/negative for my tank? I have read that shrimp really like them.
Cladophora aegagropila (aka Japanese Moss Ball, Marimo Ball) is really a form of algae, not moss, contrary to what the more common names suggest.

Any plant competes with the beneficial bacteria for nutrients.

If you plant enough plants and have the substrate and lighting necessary for them to thrive, you can instantly cycle a tank (read up on the "Silent Cycle"). Also, plants often have beneficial bacteria living on them and when added to your aquarium, can 'jump start' the cycling process some, just as adding the squeezings from an established aquarium's filter media can.