i need help with my new 10 gallon tank

Oct 16, 2011
i just got a 10 gallon tank and had gotten a couple platys and tetras and a placo and within a week they had all died. i checked the ph and it was at least 7.8, my ph test kit only goes up to 7.8. i have a filter that is meant for 10 gallon tanks. now i have 4 catfish and an algae eater and they seem happy but the ph is still high and id like to be able to get a fish that isnt a bottom feeder but i dont want to kill any more fish. ive tried using a few ph reducers but the ph just goes back up after a few minutes. im not sure if theres anything else i should try or be looking at.

Feb 27, 2009
First off, welcome to the forum!

Don't use anything to adjust your pH. Sudden changes in pH are deadly to fish and as you have discovered, the pH will only return to what is 'normal' for you water. The pH level is not critical to the fish you mentioned. Far more important are the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do you have readings for those?

Oct 14, 2011
Keene, NH
First off, welcome to the forum!

Don't use anything to adjust your pH. Sudden changes in pH are deadly to fish and as you have discovered, the pH will only return to what is 'normal' for you water. The pH level is not critical to the fish you mentioned. Far more important are the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do you have readings for those?
Yes indeed, i found out the hard way myself so your not the only one. I only have 1 Glofish, and 1 Dwarf Guarami left. I had a Neon blue Dwarf Guarami that had Hole in the Head from the pet store, they replaced it with a hardier fish, a fancy guppy that also died. Yesterday one of my 2 Glofish that i had died from Ich, now my other one has it. I've been keeping the temp in the 80's just so the Ich can go away. I didn't cycle my tank like i should have. Have you cycled your tank?

Oct 16, 2011
Yes indeed, i found out the hard way myself so your not the only one. I only have 1 Glofish, and 1 Dwarf Guarami left. I had a Neon blue Dwarf Guarami that had Hole in the Head from the pet store, they replaced it with a hardier fish, a fancy guppy that also died. Yesterday one of my 2 Glofish that i had died from Ich, now my other one has it. I've been keeping the temp in the 80's just so the Ich can go away. I didn't cycle my tank like i should have. Have you cycled your tank?
no i didnt, my teacher in school had just said to let the water run thru the filter for a week or so before adding fish so i didnt put any amonia in it. im going to get a test kit for everything else now and see what the readings say.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
no i didnt, my teacher in school had just said to let the water run thru the filter for a week or so before adding fish so i didnt put any amonia in it. im going to get a test kit for everything else now and see what the readings say.
thats a common mistake. just letting the water run for awhile doesn't cycle anything. thats probably why all your fish are died initially. stop using ph reducers and get a test kit ASAP

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
If you read the "Stickie" at the beginning of this forum it will help answer a lot of your questions and you will be well on your way. Good Luck and be sure to ask more questions - everyone will try to help.

Oct 16, 2011
okay, so i got a master test kit and the ph actually reads 7.0 on it... and everything else reads in the safe range though it does say my water is pretty hard. the only thing that this test kit says is wrong is the ammonia. so a friends dad who has had fish for a long time got me a tablet to put in my tank to get rid of the ammonia but it doesnt seem to be helping. unless my test strips are defective? should i try getting a different bottle of them?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You are going to need to read up on cycling your aquarium to understand what is happening. I don't know of any tablet that gets rid of the ammonia. Your tank isn't cycled until you go thru the ammonia, nitrite process and finally get some nitrates. If you already have fish in the tank you will be doing alot of partial water changes until that occurs. Ammonia and nitrites are deadly to your fish. Water changes are the key. Good Luck and keep working at it!

Feb 27, 2009
now i have 4 catfish and an algae eater and they seem happy but the ph is still high and id like to be able to get a fish that isnt a bottom feeder but i dont want to kill any more fish.
What catfish and algae eater do you have? You may have overstocked your 10 gallon aquarium, depending on the species. If you don't know what they are, post a picture here of them.

the only thing that this test kit says is wrong is the ammonia. so a friends dad who has had fish for a long time got me a tablet to put in my tank to get rid of the ammonia but it doesnt seem to be helping. unless my test strips are defective?
Test strips are not known for being accurate, and are easy to contaminate to give you false readings.

What is the reading you are getting for the ammonia? Saying its 'wrong' does not help us much to help you with proper advice. What 'tablet' did your friend's dad give you?

You can use a dechlorinator to bind the ammonia for a few days to give your biofilter (the 'good' bacteria) a chance to catch up, but the only real cure for high ammonia is frequent water changes.

Oct 16, 2011
i have a ghost catfish and 3 cory catfish and i believe it is a chinese algae eater. and they add up to 7 inches. the tablet he gave me is called ammonia safe by tetra. if i were to start doing water changes more often how many can i do in a week without stressing out my fish too much?