Best way to move fish?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
So, we are moving in a month or so - winter in the north east. What's the safest way to move my fish? I don't want to have to cycle again, what's the best way to move the water? Or should I just cycle anew when we get them in the new place? (well, not totally new cycle, but whatever water I have to fill that I can't take with?)
we either are moving to fl from ct (worst case scenario) & the fish will just be moving to my brother's place for a year or so, or we move somewhere near-by and the fish stay with me... Either way it's a move in the winter. I also have reptiles, but I can just put them into tupperware with holes inside warmed coolers... Would that work for the fish too? (no holes of course) how much water should I try to save? I have 2 29g & 2 10g, all planted...
Thanks!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; There are likely to be several good ways to do a move like this. Here are some ideas that came to mind.
1. Get some coolers to move the fish in. I like to use the styrofoam type, many fish shippers use them. You may be able to pick up some used ones from a fish shop. Line the inside of the coolers with some plastic bags large enough to be loose in the coolers to catch water that may leak out of the bags you put the fish into. This is especially true of the plecos as they will likely poke a hole in their bag with their fins. This happened to me the last time I moved a pleco. Carry the coolers in a heated portion of a vheicle if possible.
2. You have plants which will have beneficial bacteria (bb) on their surfaces. The plants can be put into the new tanks right away, they will help seed the bb and produce respiration products to feed the bb. If you have them , snails do the same thing and will help get the new tanks to begin to be established (cycled).
3. Is it possible to have some tanks set up at your brothers place prior to the move?? If so they could be cycled and ready when you arrive.
4. Their will be bb in the filter medium and gravel of the current tanks that can be used to seed the new tanks if you can keep the bb alive. The general view on fish forums is that you do not need to take water with you as the bb population is low in the water. The bb will be on filter medium, gravel and other structures. Perhaps others can suggest ways to keep the bb alive during a move. I would likely throw this stuff in a bag with the plants and snails.
5. Forum members have posted a lot about the use of chemicals and bottled bacteria to help cycle a tank. Do a search, there should be many posts and threads on the subject. You can find a discussion of these things on the Monster Fish Keeper forum as well.
6. Having moved not long ago I know what a problem it can be. I was lucky enough to be able to set up a tank in the new place a couple of weeks before having to move my fish. I put all my plants and some snails into the new set up and moved the fish at the last. The new tank was ready to go. This may not be doable with such a londg distance move as you plan.
7. Reduce the number of fish to move and get some new fish in the new location. I know this will likely not be desireable as you may be attached to the fish, but threw it out. Knowing they are in a good place to live with someone else and healthy may be acceptable and will reduce the stress of moving in the winter.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Thanks. I won't really be able to set anything up ahead of time, so everything will be moving at once. I am most worried about the bacteria and the fish. I'm hoping the bacteria will stay alive despite exposure to the cold. I like the cooler idea for the fish. I use that for my reptiles, so it won't be hard to do with the fish.
Thanks again!

se7en2686

Medium Fish
Jul 24, 2011
Richfield Ohio
I just went through this myself. What i did was i left 2 inches of water in the bottom of my tank. Just enough to cover the substrate. i removed the fish and placed them in 5gallon bucket i placed an airstone inside the bucket then used plastic wrap around the top so splashing wouldnt be so bad. i placed the bucket in the cab of the car with me so it wasnt so cold. I got the tank to my new home and filled it up with the tap water using the water conditioning drops you see at petco/petsmart i left my fish in the 5g bucket for almost 12 hours as the tank got back up to proper water temp then i added my fish in.. i didnt lose any fish in the more nor plants.. if i had to guess the fish where out of the tank for almost a day and a half, including the 12 hours they spent in the bucket at the house.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
I just went through this myself. What i did was i left 2 inches of water in the bottom of my tank. Just enough to cover the substrate. i removed the fish and placed them in 5gallon bucket i placed an airstone inside the bucket then used plastic wrap around the top so splashing wouldnt be so bad. i placed the bucket in the cab of the car with me so it wasnt so cold. I got the tank to my new home and filled it up with the tap water using the water conditioning drops you see at petco/petsmart i left my fish in the 5g bucket for almost 12 hours as the tank got back up to proper water temp then i added my fish in.. i didnt lose any fish in the more nor plants.. if i had to guess the fish where out of the tank for almost a day and a half, including the 12 hours they spent in the bucket at the house.
How did you power the airstone?

Feb 27, 2009
What's the safest way to move my fish? I don't want to have to cycle again, what's the best way to move the water?
I use these to ship fish, even in the winter: Heat Packs for Shipping: Shipping Warmers: Heat Pack

The water will not help you maintain your cycle.

Don't feed the fish for several days before you move. Then bag the fish into seperate bags by species, and place the bags into a cooler, seperated by cardboard, crumpled newspaper, etc. Tape the heat pack to the lid (leaving air space between the bags and lid). Bag up some of the gravel just like fish, but not as much water.

If you can get breather bags, they work great. I moved from Iowa to Texas and the fish were fine for 9 days.

se7en2686

Medium Fish
Jul 24, 2011
Richfield Ohio
How did you power the airstone?
I used one of those Car inverters u can buy at truck stops and walmart. you plug it into your Cig lighter then it lets you plug in power outlets, letting me plug in my air pump... they are like 10 bucks all the way to 100$ but the cheap one is pretty much all you need for an air pump.. Side note let me power my Laptop as well!