Nano-Fish

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Does anyone know of any nano-fish that are found at Petco, Petsmart, or Petsupermarket?
I checked my Petco in search of Bororas Brigittae, but couldn't find any.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
what size tank are you wanting to do? nano tanks are more a saltwater thing unless your talking shrimp. in something like a 1g-2.5g options are a betta or maybe some glo lits if you keep up with water changes. rasboars are schooling fish and so they need to be in groups to be comfortable and healthy and you cannot have a group ina teeny tank.

Feb 27, 2009
The OP didn't mention what sized aquarium the fish are going in. Small fish such as the Bororas brigittae (aka Chili Rasbora) are often referred to as Nano fish due to their size. They can (and often are) kept in small tanks. I bought 10 for a 5 gallon tank, and they bred like rabbits. I now have over 30 in a 40gallon breeder.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2011
underwater
The OP didn't mention what sized aquarium the fish are going in. Small fish such as the Bororas brigittae (aka Chili Rasbora) are often referred to as Nano fish due to their size. They can (and often are) kept in small tanks. I bought 10 for a 5 gallon tank, and they bred like rabbits. I now have over 30 in a 40gallon breeder.
'

I'm looking into creating a Betta community 5.5G since my old one died.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
sorotity is multiple female bettas...in a 5.5g i wouldnt do more than 1 though
in that small of tank you cant do much for a community with a male betta. he could get aggressive and stress would lead to sickness...which no one wants cause loosing fish is hard on everyone for their own reasons.

you could do some pretty shrimp
a mystery snail
an ADF

but i wouldnt add more fish in some a small area

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I guess I didn't understand you - you say you"re looking into creating a betta community, but then you say you wouldn't do more than one, so what were you planning for a "community". The male bettas I have do not have any problem with otos in a small tank. some of the males do not do well in even a large community tank, but it isn't the betta that has been the aggressor. I have found than some of them are just afraid when they have all that space and feel more secure in a smaller area. Although I have not tried it, I would not put more than one female in a 5.5g tank. IMO a female in that size tank wouldn't be much different than a male. I haven't heard anyone on the forum recently who has tried a sorority.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
I guess I didn't understand you - you say you"re looking into creating a betta community, but then you say you wouldn't do more than one, so what were you planning for a "community". The male bettas I have do not have any problem with otos in a small tank. some of the males do not do well in even a large community tank, but it isn't the betta that has been the aggressor. I have found than some of them are just afraid when they have all that space and feel more secure in a smaller area. Although I have not tried it, I would not put more than one female in a 5.5g tank. IMO a female in that size tank wouldn't be much different than a male. I haven't heard anyone on the forum recently who has tried a sorority.
I mean 1 male betta with tankmates (not betta sorority, betta community as in a community tank WITH a Betta).

I'm going for a tank somewhere along the lines of these:
Fluval Edge - YouTube
My Halfmoon Betta - YouTube

NOTE: I don't want neons (as they need a 10G minimum), I'm just saying I want fish similar to that nature.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
i wouldnt add any other fish to this set up
maybe shrimp snail or ADF as i had posted previously
See, the point of this thread is to find some good NANO fish, fish that are very small, my definition being 1.5 inches and smaller. Because of nano fishes' small size, they have very low bio-loads and thus can be fit in small tanks, just like shrimp n' snails.

EX: the fish I'm looking for, Boraras Brigittae, has an extremely low bio-load, so people have managed to have 10 of them thrive in a 5G.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
From what I read, you really shouldn't keep them with a betta because a larger fish would terrorize them. Also they do grow to be 1 - 1.25 inches depending on the site I look at so if you go that route, you wouldn't be able to keep the betta in the same tank. They do look like beautiful little fish. Fish definitely have personalities. I have had bettas that worked well with other fish and others that didn't. So far the ones that didn't were because they were not use to such a large space with other fish and apparently preferred a smaller space that was just theirs. After all, they are all raised in bags or cups and not use to the wide open spaces.

Feb 27, 2009
From what I read, you really shouldn't keep them with a betta because a larger fish would terrorize them. Also they do grow to be 1 - 1.25 inches depending on the site I look at so if you go that route, you wouldn't be able to keep the betta in the same tank.
I have kept the Chili Rasbora for years and find that they are a very beautiful fish suitable for smaller tanks for the more experienced fish keepers. They are NOT for a new tank as they are very sensitive fish and would not handle a spike in ammonia or nitrite at all.

That being said, I would not recommend mixing them in such small tanks with other species.

I would love to see a Chili get over an inch long!