Tank tear-down

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
So, I set up a 20 gallon not too long ago, and I have several problems with it.

First of all, there's colored gravel in the tank, which to me now, looks undesirable.
Second, I had the tank put in a place where I can only gravel vac 1/2 of the tank (it doesn't fit in between the bottom of a shelf & the tank).
Thirdly, the light is messed up. It's a purplish light that came with the hood I bought (I'm assuming it's for saltwater tanks, and that the spectrum isn't good for FW plants). Additionally, this light produces a whole lotta diatoms, so right now my fish are in the dark.
Fourthly, my fish are in pretty bad condition. About 3 months ago, the pH of the tank was very low, so it damaged the eyes of a lot of my fish (for one the eye completely fell off?) and the tail fin of one fish looks so bad it might not grow back. Also, my 2 of the 3 False Juliis I had died from starvation I guess (because I never saw them eat) and, fearing that my last Julii would die, transferred him to the 10G.

So, I kinda want to tear down this tank, because it's so depressing, and the other reason is to provide adequate space for my Female Ram Cichlid (don't ask why I bought it) and possibly make room for some Penguin Tetras (I love them), and maybe a Male Ram.

But, the question is, what would I do with the fish that I already have? I am 100% sure euthanization is out of the question, and even if I wanted to euthanize them, my mom wouldn't let me, and I highly doubt anyone would want 6 sick fish.

Please don't say, "Oh, you're a bad person for trying to get rid of your fish; you commited to having them so you can't get rid of them!" or something like that, because I doubt that these fish are having a ball in this wasteland of a tank, with no light or decorations, plus they're sick.

Thanks for you guys' input!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Some fish stores take distressed fish. Take them some place you dont intent to shop though. Many places frown upon or even refuse to sell to people that have had problems rearing animals. So giving them sick fish to get good healthy fish will probably no go over well. I suggest a lot of research if you start over, pH does not cause eyes to fall out.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
What about just moving the tank to a better location, getting the fish well, then committing to getting others? At least you will be able to re-home healthy fish, and then you can keep your relationship with the lfs. And in the mean time, work on switching out the bulb so it works better for your tank.
I'm not saying you are a terrible person, just saying maybe you should try harder with these guys before you take on other fish. Theres nothing wrong with reating a tank down and starting again, just give the fish you have a worthy fight to either save them our euthanize them (while not pleasant, sometimes may be the best for the fish, just research the best way to do it).
Good luck.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
no chain pet stores will take them, and if they know their sick they may just flush them when you leave because its not worth getting their fish sick. sad, but true.

if its a 20long i would say go for the ram pair once the tank is cycled and you have changed the gravel. I recommend you put the gravel in some pantyhose to seed the tanks new gravel with bacteria (bacteria only lives 30 minutes out of water and with no oxygen, so put rock in pantyhose and plan to work quickly if you can. or put it in another tank if itll fit.
also, if it is a 20 long, thepenguin tetras would be a good fit, and you may want to take one of the dwarf gouramis out of your 10g and put him into the 20. (20 long give more horizantol swimming room and most fish dont swim veritcally.)
or you could put your lone cory in there and add a few so he is more comfortable and less likely to get sick from stress.

7-9 penguin tetras (i am a fan of odd numbers on fish)
1 GBR female
1 dwarf gourami
3-5 cories

you will have to keep up on water changes but maybe you could also look into some plants, which java moss is super easy :) or java fern, which its roots will grow into driftwood, they dont go into the rock substrate. the plants will help to keep the water safe(r) and also good for the fish as it makes them more comfortable and will break line of site with the fish to make any semi-aggressive fish not pick on others so bad. (out of sight, out of mind!) and its pretty :)

Feb 27, 2009
Fourthly, my fish are in pretty bad condition. About 3 months ago, the pH of the tank was very low, so it damaged the eyes of a lot of my fish (for one the eye completely fell off?) and the tail fin of one fish looks so bad it might not grow back. Also, my 2 of the 3 False Juliis I had died from starvation I guess (because I never saw them eat) and, fearing that my last Julii would die, transferred him to the 10G.
Sorry, FlameTetra333, but in my opinion, this is inexcusable.

You have left the fish in a 'wasteland' as you call it for 3+ months?? The pH level will not damage the eyes of your fish. Eyes falling off, fin/tail rot, and fish dying of starvation, all of this points to poor water quality. Period.

If you can only vac half the tank, then do that at least. If you don't like the bulb or its not the right kind to grow plants, that's no reason to just ignore the tank and leave it as a 'wasteland.'

What are the readings of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate on this tank?

Do water changes, change the bulb out and provide some cover in the form of rocks/plants/other deco for the fish that are there now, until you decide their fate!

Just my 2cents,
OC

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I was under the impression that the bacteria need oxygen and I can't believe there is a set time they live as long as they are kept wet - assuming they get food in a reasonable time. I do know some bacteria form spores or capsules when the environment dries out or doesn't support them and then revive when conditions improve - have not found whether this particular bacteria is capable of that.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
if there is no oxygen leading to the tank, as in if she is shutting it down, then bacteria will die. so no filter, no bacteria.
the time may not be correct, but from what i know, it needs oxygen to survive, hence why people are against bettas and bowls. no filter, no aeration, no bacteria.

Feb 27, 2009
if there is no oxygen leading to the tank, as in if she is shutting it down, then bacteria will die. so no filter, no bacteria.
the time may not be correct, but from what i know, it needs oxygen to survive
I've kept a few tanks with no filters for decades! Just because there is no filter does not mean there is no oxygen getting into the tank. Oxygen/CO2 exchange is done at the surface of the water. Granted, a filter will INCREASE the surface area with the 'ripples' that it produces, so a faster exchage is possible.

I recently moved 1200 miles and put some damp gravel in plastic bags. No filter for 9 days while in transit (Fish were also in bags this whole time - seperate bags). Bought a new tank at the new location, filled it with dechlorinated water, dumped the gravel in the tank, added the fish, and at day 1, 2, 3, and 5 my ammonia reading was 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates between 5 and 10. By the 5th day, nitrates were creeping up above 10, which is when I do water changes. So its possible to keep 'the cycle' intact for at least that long in my experience.

Bottom line: yes, the bacteria need oxygen and to be kept wet. But unplugging a filter does not mean death in 30 minutes.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Sorry, FlameTetra333, but in my opinion, this is inexcusable.

You have left the fish in a 'wasteland' as you call it for 3+ months?? The pH level will not damage the eyes of your fish. Eyes falling off, fin/tail rot, and fish dying of starvation, all of this points to poor water quality. Period.

If you can only vac half the tank, then do that at least. If you don't like the bulb or its not the right kind to grow plants, that's no reason to just ignore the tank and leave it as a 'wasteland.'

What are the readings of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate on this tank?

Do water changes, change the bulb out and provide some cover in the form of rocks/plants/other deco for the fish that are there now, until you decide their fate!

Just my 2cents,
OC
Thanks for your input, OC, however, this pH problem has been resolved 3 months ago. Also, you sound as if you are assuming I am NOT cleaning that half of the tank, which I am. The tank is cycled btw.

Feb 27, 2009
Also, you sound as if you are assuming I am NOT cleaning that half of the tank, which I am.
It was you, FlameTetra333, that said you could not clean 1/2 of the tank...

I had the tank put in a place where I can only gravel vac 1/2 of the tank
and that it was a wasteland...

I doubt that these fish are having a ball in this wasteland of a tank, with no light or decorations, plus they're sick.
If this tank's pH problem (not sure what that would be) was resolved 3 months ago, why is the tank a 'wasteland' for the fish still alive in it, and why are they sick?

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
It was you, FlameTetra333, that said you could not clean 1/2 of the tank...

and that it was a wasteland...

If this tank's pH problem (not sure what that would be) was resolved 3 months ago, why is the tank a 'wasteland' for the fish still alive in it, and why are they sick?
Sorry if I'm not clear.

My tank is set up in a spot in between a counter and a shelf. The first half of the tank is accessible by my gravel vac, and the back half is not. I am cleaning the first half of the tank (in the other post I'm assuming you thought I meant I'm not cleaning the tank whatsoever).

What I mean by wasteland is that there aren't any plants/decor (as in not very appealing) and the fish aren't necessarily sick, just unhappy and with injuries.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
I am just curious - what did you do that resolved your pH problem? Just exactly how low was your pH that is supposedly needed resolving?
I didn't know the exact pH reading because it was off the chart (I use Jungle 5 in 1 Test Strips) so I assumed it was around 5. I used "florida crushed coral" to raise the pH. What's weird is that the pH of the water I got it from was normal (7 I think). Maybe it was because of the gravel I used (Top Fin). It even said that there might be a pH change (thanks a lot).

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
test strips arnt always accurate...i have never heard of tap being that low. unless you were adding a pH additive...

this is your tank in the end and i dont think anyone appreciates being bullied. people come here to learn, not be put down an made to feel inadequete. we all learn somehow and we cannot shun people for their choices nor be rude to them for ANY reason. your opinions should be mute about her choices regarding her fish in this situation as i dont think anything helpful or useful is being said.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
test strips arnt always accurate...i have never heard of tap being that low. unless you were adding a pH additive...

this is your tank in the end and i dont think anyone appreciates being bullied. people come here to learn, not be put down an made to feel inadequete. we all learn somehow and we cannot shun people for their choices nor be rude to them for ANY reason. your opinions should be mute about her choices regarding her fish in this situation as i dont think anything helpful or useful is being said.
Thanks, Fuzz!

(By the way, I'm a boy)

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
my bad, i assume everyones a girl :)

and im not defending your actions, but no one should be torn down for their choice or mistake or it ruins the hobby and the will to want to even be on a forum, which is why a lot of people left before. if your murdered a baby, i might feel differently though.