Sick and dying fish

Feb 27, 2009
Tomorrow I will do 25-50% water change and hope that I don't lose anymore fish.
I would recommend you do daily 50% water changes, making sure to match temperature on the new water to the tank's water, and dechlorinating it prior to putting it in the tank until ammonia and nitrite read zero and nitrates are under 20.

What brand of dechlor do you use? Some can be used to bind ammonia and detox nitrites.

Oct 18, 2011
Miami, FL
I would recommend you do daily 50% water changes, making sure to match temperature on the new water to the tank's water, and dechlorinating it prior to putting it in the tank until ammonia and nitrite read zero and nitrates are under 20.

What brand of dechlor do you use? Some can be used to bind ammonia and detox nitrites.
I have a water conditioner. I do not know if that's what you mean. Also, wouldn't a daily water change stress the fish more?

Feb 27, 2009
I have a water conditioner. I do not know if that's what you mean.
Yes. Water conditioner = dechlorinator.

Also, wouldn't a daily water change stress the fish more?
Nope.

If it were my tank, I'd do 2x daily 50% water changes to dilute the fish waste that has built up. Don't chase the fish around, just do a gravel vacuum while you syphon the water, and fill back up slowly.

Oct 18, 2011
Miami, FL
We woke up to a dead Betta and male Panda Platy. I already did the 50% water change. Now I wait and see what happens. I think I won't get any more fish until I have a separate tank to quarantine them for a week or two.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Lol, yup. I don't have a quarentine tank so I have to be careful when I buy new fish. I just got 6 new Guppies and I have to watch out for disease since I can't seperate them from the rest.

Feb 27, 2009
Make sure your nitrogen cycle is complete before adding any more fish. Ammonia and nitrite should be 0, and nitrate over 0. If nitrate reaches 20, its time to do a water change.

Oct 18, 2011
Miami, FL
Well, I woke up this morning to another dead fish, the Bumblebee Platy. I am pissed. Whatever happened is killing all my fish. At the rate we are going I might be starting soon from scratch. Hopefully the plants won't die too, those were expensive.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
As long as you have a good enough light, they'll live. They will help the cycle. If you start from scratch, then add more plants and a bit of fish food. The plants will help the cycle. I started up my new 10g and I had plants in it and it cycled in about 2 weeks.