Neon tetra (newbie)

Jan 14, 2012
Hi!
I'm new here and I was planning on getting a 20 gallon long tank and in the tank I was going to put some neon tetras. (I heard they are good for begginers and they are easy to take care of) The problem is, I know NOTHING about them! I tried looking through a few stickie notes, but u couldn't find what I was looking for.

I know fish are a lot more complicated than they seem with PH levels, filters, partial water changes, etc. I know nothing about all this stuff and I would appreciate it if someone can help me with all this info, and make me a fish expert :D!!

Someone please help me! Thank you! :)

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I would not worry at all about the pH of your water. I would be concerned about understanding "cycle" and getting a liquid test kit so you can check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels daily at first until your are sure the tank is cycled. Most of the common fish will adjust to whatever your normal pH level is.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Brings are a bit picky in terms of water quality. Make sure your rank is cycled and established for a bit before introducing them to the tank. Read up about cycling (fishless is preferred). Make sure you know how to take care of them before you get into it :)

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I would not worry at all about the pH of your water. I would be concerned about understanding "cycle" and getting a liquid test kit so you can check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels daily at first until your are sure the tank is cycled. Most of the common fish will adjust to whatever your normal pH level is.
Agreed. While it is important to think about the kinds of fish you would like to keep eventually, there's a lot to know up front about setting up the tank and establishing/maintaining water quality - regardless of what kind of fish you will have. First and foremost is understanding the nitrogen cycle and water quality. Second is buying the appropriate equipment, which includes a liquid test kit. Third is setting up your tank and deciding on how to cycle it. In there somewhere you also get to think about decorations, live plants vs. fake, type of substrate . . . . . Lots of fun stuff before you get to the fish ;)
Cheers,
Laura