Redue the tank???

Jan 16, 2012
This might be a dumb question but i dont like the gravel in my tank and want to Do more plants...What Can I do ? What Do i need? And ideas Please and thanks!!!!

Jan 16, 2012
What im tryig to do is put more plants in yes ... I have like a red green gravel..But is there a type of Gravel you need for plants?

55G
4 Gouramis
3 Tiger Burbs
2 Knife Ghost Fish
1 Gray bichir

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
The plants really don't care about the colour of the gravel. Most plants will be able to anchor their roots with a variety of gravel sizes too. What plants care most about is a balance between carbon, fertilizers, and light. If you really want to get into plants, it might be worthwhile making or buying a CO2 unit. They're cheap and easy to DIY. Do you use any ferts currently? What kind of lighting do you have?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
This is what I would try: I like the little cabin and waterwheel and so if I was going to keep it, I would try for a kind of "enchanted forest" motif. I'd leave the cabin where it is and on the other end I would create a forest with both live and fake green plants - at least a couple that go to the top and maybe a cave kind of arrangement with shale or slab rock amongst it. Then I would get one of those fake vine and leafy type plants to float over the top - I think they are called "Fancy Plants". Whatever you do, remember to leave an open area for the fish.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Soak it in a vinegar water solution. 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar I belive. That's how I cleaned my Terra Cotta Pots. Scrub it with the solution and let it set overnight. I'm buying driftwood over the weekend, so I'm looking up ways on how to clean it as well. After you let it sit though, let it dry fully (maybe leave it out of the tank for another day), rinse it off with aquarium water and stick it in. Idk if a little bit of vinegar will hurt the fish or not.

Another, safer option is to boiul the piece of driftwood if it's small enough. Go here for more information.

Driftwood Basics

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Wow! I maybe wrong, but I don't think I would put driftwood in any kind of vinegar solution. Vinegar is also used as a preservative. I think it would take forever to get it removed from the wood. I would use the search function on this forum and see what other people have done. Mostly I have heard about boiling it.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
SORRY!?!?!? I'll boil mine!!! But for how long?? I heard that it might take a few hours for it to leach all of the tannins and absorb enough water to sink into the aquarium. I want some tannins to soften my water for my Tetras (just my preference) and I heard that you have to boil it for 1-2 hours.

This is what my source says.

Drs.FosterAndSmith said:
•The "tea-stained" effect caused by driftwood simulates Amazonian "Black Water" biotopes where many brightly colored Tetras like Neons, Cardinals, Rummynoses, and Bleeding Hearts. If this is your preference, then only a short soak and scrub is necessary before adding driftwood to your aquarium.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=857

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I think the wood you are buying is pretty dense wood and so it should sink easier. I have a piece of probably alder or cottonwood and although its been soaking for weeks at a time, it still floats - I have never boiled it. It is very old, but also porous and had lots of tannins. One of these days I will try boiling it.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
SORRY!?!?!? I'll boil mine!!! But for how long?? I heard that it might take a few hours for it to leach all of the tannins and absorb enough water to sink into the aquarium. I want some tannins to soften my water for my Tetras (just my preference) and I heard that you have to boil it for 1-2 hours.

This is what my source says.

Freshwater Aquarium Set-up: Adding Driftwood to Your Aquarium
Kiara, the tannins cause BOTH the pH drop and the yellow water, so if you leave some tannins to soften the water, it'll still become yellow. Also, the mopani wood sinks automatically.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Sinks automatically!?!? Nice!! I don't care about the color. My water is already greenish cuz I have no choice but to set it by the window. It's not directly there so that the temps change, but it causes algae growth, which, due to my otos, I'm fine with. I'm just gonna boil it for about 30 minutes and put it in.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Advice is only as good as your experience with it is!! Other wise its hearsay and not advice at all. I do not mean this as negative but, only a good suggestion to apply to future advice. Just be sure it has been successful for you in the past if you are going to post about it.

Last edited: