Small java fern in an empty tank..

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I added a small java fern to my otherwise unplanted 29gal tank that is patiently in the process of a fishless cycle.

Will there be enough 'food' in the tank for this plant to survive?

Nothing but dechlorinated, filtered and aerated water at ~82F with ~5ppm ammonia.

Thanks!

Joel

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Thanks Laura.

I tied it off to what looks like a tiny conch shell I had on hand. Used some clear plastic craft string that's kind of like fishing line.

I was at Petsmart for cat & dog stuff and of course couldn't resist the fish section. Sad little plant was over $4, but I had to try it!

Joel

Feb 27, 2009
Just make sure not to bury the rhizome (horizontal tube that sprouts the leaves and grows the roots). It needs light and water flow around it to stay healthy.

Java fern is a good choice for a new aquarium as it can grow in just about any amount of light. It can grow two ways: by sprouting babies as lauraf said, but also the rhizome will grow in length and add more leaves.

When new plantlets grow from its leaves, it will be older/larger leaves generally. It will look like the leaf is decaying (and it is actually), but don't remove it. You will see small black dots on the leaf and that is where the plantlets will grow from. Once they have developed several leaves of their own and a start of the rhizome and roots, it can be clipped off and moved to its own location if desired.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I have that same fake plant with the yellow leaves
Yeah, I really went all-out on that one. It was like $7-8 at Petco ;). Supposedly 'silk'. The 3 plastics were also from Petco a multi-pack. Fairly inexpensive. The big driftwood was mail-order from Petsmart. Got a pretty good deal on it since I had a large order at the time.

Joel

Feb 27, 2009
The last time I bought plants, I completely planted a 40gallon breeder so you couldn't even see the substrate when viewed from above, for $14 :) And had leftovers to share with another fishtank owner.

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
I had no idea you could attach plants to things in the water! I wonder if I could attach something to my driftwood. Its real though. Do you think that would affect it? I have fishing line... that would work right?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I had no idea you could attach plants to things in the water! I wonder if I could attach something to my driftwood. Its real though. Do you think that would affect it? I have fishing line... that would work right?
From what I've read, driftwood is ideal for attaching java fern to. Java fern is one of the plants that does best when you attach it to something and let it establish itself. Use a rubber band, small zip tie or some fishing line.

Joel

Feb 27, 2009
OC, how long ago was that - and where did you get the plants so inexpensively? Most plants at Petsmart/Petco are $5 - $6 apiece.
It was last summer, Thyra. I got them from a fellow planted tank enthusiast. Only wish it didn't contain Najas guadalupensis (guppy grass), as it can take OVER a tank in no time! HAHA!!!

My only cost was to pay postage.

When I had 8 tanks going, I'd trim this much out every week!

That is about 4 gallons deep in a 5 gallon bucket.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
As far as fishing line, yes, it can be used. Just remember to cut it off once the plant has developed its own 'clinging roots' to attach itself. Leaving the fishing on too long can cut the plant apart, much like those rubber hoses they put around trees when they are first planted. I personally use plain white cotton thread. After a few weeks its done its job and will rot off the plant if I forget to take it out.

Not all plants can be attached to driftwood or rocks. Most must be planted in the substrate directly, and are floating plants. It depends on what type of plant it is.

Feb 27, 2009
Dinner at OC's house:

Would you like some salad?

Ehh... Not so much!

(Kidding!!)

Joel
Funny you should say that, Joel! When I 'sold' my trimmings to others (just to pay the postage), I called them a 'grab bag of salad' HAHA! It was whatever I trimmed out that week, so no telling what it was going to be. Since I didn't label each plant with the name, etc., it was a surprise!

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Since we're talking plants I thought I'd share this... Bought these today, the first plants for our planted discus tank. Baby tears, the idea is to not see any substrate. Don't mind the goldfish, they are keeping the bacteria going for us.
DSCN1421.jpg