CAPSLOCK's 75g mixed reef

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Well, here is my new (used) tank:

My 40B had a slow leak at a seam (salt creep along the seam), so I took the opportunity to upgrade to a 75g. The back is spray painted with plasti-dip - I used blue for one layer and black for another, which yields a nice darker blue color. I'm really happy with it so far as it is much more durable than the acrylic paint I used previously, but is still removable (peels off) if needed. At that time I also upgraded the lighting from a dual T5 fixture to a 4 bulb T5, as well as adding a RO unit which seems to be helping a lot with the unsightly algae I was growing. I bleached about 1/3 of my rocks with some scuzzy algae.

Picked up some marco rocks at OSRAS conference, plus some corals and other goodies. I still need to beef up my CUC and add a few powerheads to get the flow where it needs to be. I have the supplies to make my DIY screen tops for it. So far I have had a very impressive spread of green soft fine algae all over the glass / powerheads which I removed and it hasn't come back. Otherwise everything seems to have adjusted nicely into the new tank.

Ended up with two bommies that are each coves, and I like both of them although wish they weren't so similar. I've got a few pieces of tonga branch rock that I am thinking of making little arches across the front of the right bommie.

This gorgonian was from a BRS meeting. It was pretty irked in the 40B and had no polyp extension for a few months, but has made a comeback now.

Lots of zoas which were being overtaken by algae are happily popping back up now. On the other hand, I believe I managed to severely irritate a clump of GSP which still has no polyps. No real love lost for that. All the last remnants of anthelia and xenia were eradicated on moving the rocks over
. Unfortunately, I think most or all of the rics I had did not survive transition for whatever reason. Got several replacements at the OSRAS conference though.

Added 2 of these little tiger gobies (Tigrigobius macrodon) - they are supposed to live in pairs / small groups, however one chases the other. I've got two separate bommies so they can each have a territory if they don't pair up.

The rest of my current fish-stock is Lucy, my 11+ year old percula, her little 1 year old boyfriend, a royal gramma who eats shrimp
, and a geriatric 3+ year old neon goby.

Finally saw a fighting conch in person. Never realized how interesting they are, but this little dude is quite neat. He was hiding during my little photo shoot.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
try some Nassarius Snails for some interesting moments whenever you feed the tank. they come out of the sand like zombies whenever it's feeding time.

tank looks like it's off to a great start. once you start filling it up and letting things grow, i think it'll look great with your rockwork placement.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Thank you!

I love the nassarius snails! I have a big one that likes to climb the glass sometimes. Thankfully they are good at righting themselves when they inevitably land upside down.