1 Black Molly & 1 Sword Meri Gold

maxine

New Fish
Jan 13, 2011
I just started my freshwater tank on new years added some decorations and live plants, bought 4 guppies and they all passed about five days later one by one. I took the water to be tested and I was told it is fine so just got one lovely back Molly and one Meri Gold about 24 hours ago. The advise was only to get the two (for a month) and they both looked happy and lively in the stores tank. After introducing them to the tank so far the Meri Gold seems to be doing OK, at least she is moving around; exploring some, but the Black molly is just parked behind the filter, this morning he was parked near the heater (both at the top). I've turned the lights off last night and now as I get home to hope that helps, any advice, how long do fish remain stressed and when should I worry if BM does not start exploring. BTW, they did have a small meal last night. Please advise.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Welcome to MFT!

You have a brand new tank that is going through something called the nitrogen cycle. The person who said your water is fine either lying to you or uneducated on what "fine" is. Please educate yourself on the nitrogen cycle. It may save your fish's lives.

The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Once you've read that please kick the salesperson in the shins for me, then walk over to the aisle with all the fish chemical bottles and buy two things for me:
1. API Freshwater Master Kit
2. Dechlorinator (This will usually be either Tetra Aquasafe or Seachem Prime)

What killed your guppies was probably ammonia poisoning. Your two new fish are probably getting some of that as well, and will probably be getting nitrite gill burn soon. At this point your best hope is keeping up with your water changes.

One last question, what size is the tank you have now?

maxine

New Fish
Jan 13, 2011
14 gallon, 10 gallon print. So the API is fine w/ the fresh plants? Also, on Jan 1 I did add the dechlorinator that said would last a month, maybe not. Yeah, don't trust the sales people, you are right, and thank you for your advise.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
After you kick him in the shins and he asks "what is that for" a good right hook to the temple will most likely drop him....tell him the kick was for the bad advice and the knock out was for the fish!

Now onto the good stuff......Aak is right, get educated and your first step was asking questions here. Most of us started this way...new tank some water and and fish...then a few days later dead fish.

Do you have a way to change the water? Buckets or siphon? You will need that and need to do water changes at least a few times a week until you tank is cycled. That should take about 6 weeks or so. You will know when the cycle is complete when your readings are 0 Ammonia-0 NitItes-and Under 20 NitAtes.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Feb 27, 2009
I just started my freshwater tank on new years added some decorations and live plants
Beware also that a lot of fish store sell aquarium plants that are NOT aquatic plants. Gotta love sales agents.

If you get a chance, post a few pics of the plants and we can help you make sure that they are not going to add to the problems of your tank as it cycles.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
Another tip- Make sur to periodically keep an eye on your plant's health as well (even if aquatic plants) to ensure they are not turning yellow/brown/ dying. Decaying plants give off ammonia. Ammonia bad. On my very first tank I killed some fish because of a dying plant. But yes, research the nitrogen cycle before you do anything else. (There are a few options to do this, but without having a different cycled tank to steal some bacteria from somehow, the above mentioned will be the easiest. Good luck!