1 gallon ok for betta?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hi, I have had my betta in a floating acrylic cube/fry tank in my 29 gallon tank for the last week or so because he has been continually harrassed by his tankmates. I wanted to give him time to heal and grow back some of his fins, the poor guy.
Today, I bought a one gallon tank with an undergravel filter and took both water and gravel from my 29 gallon and set this tank up and put him in it. Is this large enough for him? Also, what about the airflow from the airline tube? In this small set up it seems like he doesnt like all the movement of the bubbles from the filter/airline. Should I clamp it off a bit so the water doesnt move around so rapidly?
Thanks!

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
oh, also, how much gravel should be covering the filter plate? I just have enough to cover the bottom, should there be more? I read somewhere that 1 inch is the minimum...is this true?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
well, I added a bit more gravel from my 29 gallon tank to my one gallon. About another 1/4 inch, total now looks like 1/2 inch all around the bottom. Just wanted to be sure :)

sugarloves

Medium Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
I wouldnt even bother with the filter. Its extremely hard to cycle a one gallon. Its much easier to use no filter and do a 100 percent tear down clean of the tank weekly.

Oh and anything larger than a 2.5 would be better becuase there is not safe way to heat a gallon tank.

danish1978

Small Fish
Nov 6, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
I have my betta in a 2.5 gallon w/ a heater that's 25W...and the cycling was a little hard on him, but he's fine now. However-I had a 1 gallon, and while that's ok for a betta, I would really recomend getting at least a 2.5 gallon, there's more room to swim around in.....your betta will thank you. (Check out Walmart-the 2.5 gallon setup is under 30$).