1 week countdown till i get my gouramis

Ronin

Medium Fish
Jan 27, 2006
Toronto, Canada
www.recdir.com
my tank is cycled, i got my heater (cause the water is too cold), got the gravel and bits a pieces set up. Just waiting for the cash to come along and I'll be hitting up big al's. Here's what's gonna go in the 20long;

4 gold gouramis
2 powder blue gouramis
2 clown loaches

:D :D cant wait

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Ronin,

I'm glad you're all set and ready to go!

Just a word of warning...and I know you're excited, so I really don't wanna try to 'burst your bubble' here, but I once kept 2 opaline gouramies in a 20 gallon long tank together, and they fought, despite having their own heavily-planted territories.
One died, in fact. :(

I then got 2 more opalines, and 1 gold gourami, in the hopes of displacing some of the aggression and "evening it out" amongst the gouramies. They still fought relentlessly, again, even despite the heavily-planted areas.
*sigh*

I ended up taking them back to the fish store because I knew they'd end up killing each other. It's a shame, because they are such beautiful fish.

I can't predict for certain that your plans for the gouramies will turn out the same way that mine did...maybe I got stuck with an aggressive bunch of fish...who knows? They were all female, by the way...maybe that was the problem? :confused:

All I know is that it didn't work.

Worst-case scenario for you is you get them home, observe them for a few days, and if they're really going at it, take them back and find more suitable tank-mates.

Good luck. :)
Big Vine

Ronin said:
my tank is cycled, i got my heater (cause the water is too cold), got the gravel and bits a pieces set up. Just waiting for the cash to come along and I'll be hitting up big al's. Here's what's gonna go in the 20long;

4 gold gouramis
2 powder blue gouramis
2 clown loaches

:D :D cant wait

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I agree that you'll probably have problems... gouramis are fairly antisocial. You can try it though, you might get lucky. I think you'll have extra problems with dwarf and gold gouramis together... the dwarfs are much more passive and will probably get picked on.

What about yoyo loaches instead of clowns? Those won't outgrow your tank.