10 gallon clean up crew?

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Is there anything that I can use for my 10 gallon cleanup crew? Right now I have 4 blood eyed tetras in there that I had for around 5 months. Any suggestions?

~Tomas

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
Tomas said:
Is there anything that I can use for my 10 gallon cleanup crew? Right now I have 4 blood eyed tetras in there that I had for around 5 months. Any suggestions?

~Tomas
Freshwater right? Could get some corrys or a couples ottos

Fishywishy

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2006
i think of oto's for algae

clean up crew.... i think of ghost shrimp (cheap and not much bioload), mildly interesting to watch

both good for a 10gal because they stay relatively small

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
Fishywishy said:
i think of oto's for algae

clean up crew.... i think of ghost shrimp (cheap and not much bioload), mildly interesting to watch

both good for a 10gal because they stay relatively small
Forgot about those, those are sweal too.

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
Tomas said:
can you tell me more about the cories and ottos?

~Tomas
Ottos eat algae like crazy they really are good. The corys do a little cleaning and algae too. Both do better in groups. Used to own julii's had them up to 4 in a group and they used to move my gravel pretty good.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Sure,

the bronze cories I kept (corydoras aeneus I believe) stay small around 2-3 inches. The have pairs barbels (whisker-like) which they use to sense food and dig around. It is recommended that you have soft gravel, or at least gravel that is not sharp.

Most cories are somewhat schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 3. However, the instinct to shoal is only activated when it is stressed or nervous. After a few days, my cories stopped school although they did play tag. They spend most of their time on the bottom. They will readily accept fish flakes and algae pellets/wafers.

Bronze cories are available in both bronze and albino variety, although the latter is harder to find. It is quite hard to breed this fish.

I have no experience with otos.

Best of luck Tomas.

Cories, aka corydoras catfish, are small catfish, you can read more from their profile on this site. They are very interesting to watch, especially if you have sand in your tank; they love to play in it. There are many varieties; Bronze, albine, Panda and peppered(what I have) are the most common. All are basically the same, coloring is the only differnce.

Otos, AKA Otocinclus catfish, are also small catfish, but instead of whiskers they have a small sucker mouth. They stay small, are extremely peaceful, and do an excellent job with algae. They can be a bit tricky at first; many people find they're hit-or-miss - they often die soon after being introduced to the tank. However, my experience hasn't been this way; having purched three in the past, all of which lived for some time. Additionally, people say that even if some do die when new, the ones who survive are usually pretty hardy.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
get pygmy corys or panda corys. then like 3-4.
dont get otos unless you have a lot of algae...and only 1. then youll need to feed them algae tabs things.

ghost shrimp would work too

Last edited:

sclabman

Large Fish
Jan 21, 2007
L.A.
i recommend ghost shrimp. i have 2 ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon and they're quite entertaining. you can see the food travel into their stomachs and everything. they're pretty cheap too.

MrJG

Large Fish
Dec 7, 2006
Lancaster, S.C.
I'd also recommend ghost shrimp and an otto. Like Fuzz16 said though make sure you have plenty of aglae for the otto to eat or you'll need to suppliement some boiled veggies or algae tablets (mine never ate those though).