10 Gallon mystery snail problem

Jan 1, 2014
Today when I got home I noticed two new egg clusters laid on the top of my aquarium glass, and now I have a moral dilema

I want a couple baby snails too see how their shells colors change throughout the generations, and I have two average sized mystery snails already, a blue one and an ivory one

but I dont think my tank can handle 100 of them, since I have a betta, 5 pygmy cory catfish, and a dozen or so ghost shrimp already in my 10 gallon tank

I have a filter that is oversized for my tank since it is a bit on the stocking border as is (I think/assume) and the filter pumps 150 GPH, and my fish population has had a 100% survival rate for a month and a half so far.

Will the fish I have already eat freshly hatched snails from the clusters? will most of them (98%ish) get sucked into the filter, could I stop feeding the tank and have the snails die out before the fish, or "motivate" (starve) my fish to eat the newly hatched snails so only a few survive?

I also have a 1 gallon bowl I'm tempted to put the babies in, if they can hatch and live for a bit in a small tank with no filter or heater(or substrate if possible,but I do have some leftover substrate, I will add food to the bowl tho) could this small bowl act as a temparary home for the babies for a month or two until I can sell/give away most of them?

I want to be left with only 6 or 8 baby snails when all is said and done, but I feel bad about just scraping the clutches off the tank side.

I could also just fill a 5 gallon bucket with food and water if that can hold the new snails for a while aswell, I guess I'm just torn, I want some babies(so that I can eventually have 6 or 8 generations worth to study the color inheritance) but I dont want to kill the rest of my fish for some snails to live, any advice?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Out of a good 20+ egg clutches, about two clutches worth hatched for me, yielding about ~30 golden mystery snails. I gave some away, have 7 or so in my 10g and 2-3x that much in my 20L.

It's said they're a heavy bio-load, but my nitrates don't exceed ~20ppm between weekly water changes.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i'd say if they hatch, you can see if any babies make it to be to a size at which you can safely remove them from your 10 gallon and put them in the 1 gallon for growing out further. do water changes frequently and you should be ok. you'll have to then figure out what to do with them all when they grow bigger.