10 Gallon question

Apr 16, 2007
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read though my question, even though I put the title of 10 gallon question.

I purchased a 10 gallon aquarium from Petland over the weekend, They seemed to be very knowledgeable in suggesting filters, heaters, ect. I actually went in there with the idea that I would buy a "kit" for around $60. After talking with a worker there, I decided to put my own Kit together. So I bought everything necessary to get started.

1 10 gal all glass aquarium
1 aquaclear 20 power filter, for 10-30 gal
1 Florecnt hood, with bulb
1 Marineland® Visi-Therm® Stealth Submersible Aquarium Heater
plants and gravel, and other decor items.

I have been researching what fish to buy for probably close to a month, and I have decided that I want Tiger Barbs. I have read all the information on them, so I know that they can "nip" at other fish from time to time. So I was wondering if 3-6 tiger barbs and possible a Gourami would be ok in a 10 gallon tank?

Thanks again for reading

Apr 16, 2007
Thanks for your quick reply, So you wouldn't recommend any tiger barbs for a 10 gallon?

Also if I was to get some rasboras, how many would be acceptable in a 10 gallon

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Tiger Barbs are overactive aggressive fish... in a 10gal they do not have the room to swim enough and they can get pretty cranky... they also can get up to 3" a piece, and being that you have to have at least 6 of them, there is just no room or allowence in the bio load for them.

You'll have to be more specific about what type of rasbora... harliquin rasboras get pretty big as well (for a 10gal anyway), I would say 5 and 1 dwarf gourami would be about as much as you could do. See if you can find any of the smaller rasboras locally.

10gal tanks are pretty limiting, but if you do a lot of research, you can make one turn out pretty nice.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I agree about the tiger barbs...too big for a 10 gallon.
It is so tempting, I know, because they're so small and cute to begin with, but they just get so deep-bodied and require so much swimming space that a 10 gal. really won't give them much of a life. :eek:

BV

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
The axelrods would work... I'd still suggest 5, but you might be able to get away with 7 with either a betta or dwarf gourami, if you keep up with your water changes. Keeping in mind a planted tank would be best.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2007
Will do, thanks again, I really would have felt terrible if I had gotten Barbs and they weren't happy, and started eating other fish. So thanks for setting me strait. Big Vine was right, I saw them in the store and they were so tiny, I thought I would be okay.

Talk to you in 4-6 weeks when I am done with the cycle

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i'm glad to hear that you are goign to cycle! some people, especially those with their first tank are impatient adn dont bother cycling and then wonder why they have dead fish. so big props to you! :) :) cant wait to see some pics!